SHEAR BOND STRENGTH OF BISPHENOL A-GLYCIDYL METHACRYLATE ADHESIVE RESIN AFTER APPLICATION OF EUCALYPTUS OIL BEFORE DEBONDING METALLIC ORTHODONTIC BRACKET
Objective: Debonding of orthodontic braces could lead to enamel fracture and moderate discomfort for the patients. This study was conducted to
examine whether eucalyptus oil and eucalyptol were effective in decreasing the shear bond strength and facilitate the debonding of metallic brackets
bonded with bisphenol A-glycidyl methacrylate (bis-GMA) adhesive resin.
Methods: Thirty upper premolar teeth were randomly divided into the following three groups: Group 1 (75% eucalyptus oil), Group 2 (100%
eucalyptol), and Group 3 (aquades; controls). Gemini brackets (3M Unitek, Monrovia) were bonded to the teeth using Transbond XT (3M Unitek,
Monrovia). The areas around the brackets were lubricated with 75% eucalyptus oil, 100% eucalyptol, and aquades for 10 min before debonding.
Results: A significant difference in shear bond strength between Group 2 and the control group was noted (p<0.05).
Conclusion: The findings of this study indicated that eucalyptol can decrease the shear bond strength of bis-GMA-based adhesive resin after 10 min
Rda S. What is the best method for debonding metallic brackets from
the patient’s perspective? Prog Orthod 2015;16:17.
2. Jena AK, Duggal R, Mehrotra AK. Physical properties and clinical
characteristics of ceramic brackets: A comprehensive review. Trends
Biomater Artif Organs 2007;20:1-17.
3. Hellak A, Ebeling J, Schauseil M, Stein S, Roggendorf M,
Korbmacher-Steiner H, et al. Shear bond strength of three orthodontic
bonding systems on enamel and restorative materials. Biomed Res Int
4. Kailasam V, Valiathan A, Rao N. Histological evaluation after
electrothermal debonding of ceramic brackets. Indian J Dent Res
5. Alakus Sabuncuoglu F, Ersahan S, Erturk E. Debonding of ceramic
brackets by Er: YAG laser. J Istanb Univ Fac Dent 2016;50:24-30.
6. Alessandri Bonetti G, Incerti Parenti S, Ippolito DR, Gatto MR,
Luigi C. Effects of ultrasonic instrumentation with different scalertip
angulations on the shear bond strength and bond failure mode of
metallic orthodontic brackets. Korean J Orthod 2014;44:44-9.
7. Santana RM, Rached RN, Souza EM, Guariza-Filho O, Camargo ES,
Pithon MM, et al. Effect of organic solvents and ultrasound on the
removal of orthodontic brackets. Orthod Craniofac Res 2016;19:137?44.
8. Yu CC, Yu JH, Lin HJ. An investigation of the effects of chemical
reagents on the shear bonding forces of orthodontic metal brackets.
9. Biazuz J, Zardo P, Junior SA. Water sorption, solubility and surface
roughness of resin surface sealants. Braz J Oral Sci 2015;14:27-30.
10. Bonsor SJ, Pearson GJ. A Clinical Guide to Applied Dental Materials.
China: Elsevier; 2013.
11. Münchow EA, Ferreira AC, Machado RM, Ramos TS,
Rodrigues-Junior SA, Zanchi CH, et al. Effect of acidic solutions on the
surface degradation of a micro-hybrid composite resin. Braz Dent J 2014;
12. Park ES, Kim CK, Bae JH, Cho BH. The effect of the strength and
wetting characteristics of bis-GMA/TEGDMA-based adhesives on the
bond strength to dentin. J Kor Acad Cons Dent 2011;36:139-48.
13. Barton AF, Knight AR. Determination of cohesion parameters for
terpenoids such as 1,8-cineole using semi-empirical methods and
calculations based on group contributions. J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 1996;
14. Arnita P. Effect of Variance and Density of Eucalyptus Leaves
(Melaleuca leucadendron Linn.) in a Kettle on the Yield and Quality of
Eucalyptus Oil. Bogor: Institut Pertanian Bogor; 2011.
15. Chou BA, Koenig JL. A review of polymer dissolution. Prog Polym Sci 2003;
16. Yu CC, Yu JH, Wu CS. Effect of the gel form of eucalyptol on the shear
bonding forces of orthodontic brackets. J Dent Sc 2014;9:388-93.
17. Anusavice KJ, Shen C, Rawls HR. Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials.
12th ed. China: Elsevier Saunders; 2013.
18. Masuhara E, Nakabayashi N. Products and Practical Information Dental
Adhesive Resin Cement Superbond C and B. Japan: Sun Medical Co.
19. Moraes RR, Schneider LF, Sobrinho LC, Consanic S, Sinhoreti MA.
Influence of ethanol concentration on softening test for cross-link
density evaluation of dental composites. Mat Res 2007;10:79-81.
20. Reynolds IR. A review of direct orthodontic bonding. Br J Orthod 1975;
21. Mangnall LA. A Randomised Controlled Trial to Assess the Pain
Associated with the Debond of Orthodontic Fixed Appliances.
Birmingham: University of Birmingham; 2011.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.