BONE MORPHOGENETIC PROTEIN-2 AND COLLAGEN TYPE 1 FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES OF DEMINERALIZED DENTINE MATRIX: RELEASE KINETIC AND CHEMOTAXIS POTENTIAL FOR OSTEOPROGENITOR CELLS
Objective: To investigate the release of bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2) and collagen type I proteins (COL1) from different sources of
demineralized dentine matrix (DDM) and their chemotaxis to mouse osteoprogenitor cells.
Methods: The release kinetic of BMP-2 and COL1 was measured from custom-made DDM (CMDDM) and commercially available DDM (CADDM).
Using Urist physicochemical method, CMDDM was collected from the extracted teeth in a certified dental clinic. Levels of BMP-2 and COL1 released
were measured at days 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. Next, mouse osteoprogenitor cells, MC3T3-E1, were cultured with a variety of materials as follows:
CMDDM, CADDM, Bio-Oss®, and blank control in transwell system. The number of cell migration was determined by crystal violet staining to explore
chemotaxis of different DDMs to mouse osteoprogenitor cells.
Results: BMP-2 was detected at 588.32 ± 14.53 pg/ml from 5 g of CMDDM. In the release kinetic assay, the concentration of BMP-2 in the CMDDM
group increased rapidly and peaked at 113.9 pg/ml on day 5, almost four times higher than that of CADDM. The release of COL1 showed similar
pattern in both CMDDM and CADDM; however, the amount was significantly higher in the CMDDM group. In cell culture experiment, the number of
migrated MC3T3-E1 was ranked as the highest in CMDDM, followed by CADDM and Bio-Oss® (p<0.05).
Conclusion: CMDDM released BMP-2 and COL1 greater than CADDM, which can induce more osteoblast-like cell migration. These results demonstrated
a release kinetic of proteins and osteoinductivity of CMDDM, which supports a benefit of using autogenous bone graft.
bone regeneration effect of stem cells: Comparison between adiposederived
stem cells and demineralized bone matrix. J Craniofac Surg
2. Miron RJ, Bosshardt DD, Laugisch O, Dard M, Gemperli AC,
Buser D, et al. In vitro evaluation of demineralized freeze-dried bone
allograft in combination with enamel matrix derivative. J Periodontol
3. Kumaran ST, Arun KV, Sudarsan S, Talwar A, Srinivasan N. Osteoblast
response to commercially available demineralized bone matrices an
in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res 2010;21:3-9.
4. de Oliveira GS, Miziara MN, Silva ER, Ferreira EL, Biulchi AP,
Alves JB, et al. Enhanced bone formation during healing process of
tooth sockets filled with demineralized human dentine matrix. Aust
Dent J 2013;58:326-32.
5. Minamizato T, Koga T, I T, Nakatani Y, Umebayashi M, Sumita Y,
et al. Clinical application of autogenous partially demineralized
dentin matrix prepared immediately after extraction for alveolar bone
regeneration in implant dentistry: A pilot study. Int J Oral Maxillofac
6. Yagihashi K, Miyazawa K, Togari K, Goto S. Demineralized dentin
matrix acts as a scaffold for repair of articular cartilage defects. Calcif
Tissue Int 2009;84:210-20.
7. Murata M. Collagen biology for bone regenerative surgery. J Korean
Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;38:321-5.
8. Um IW, Kim YK, Mitsugi M. Demineralized dentin matrix scaffolds for
alveolar bone engineering. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2017;17:120-7.
9. Carreira AC, Lojudice FH, Halcsik E, Navarro RD, Sogayar MC,
Granjeiro JM, et al. Bone morphogenetic proteins: Facts, challenges,
and future perspectives. J Dent Res 2014;93:335-45.
10. Oryan A, Alidadi S, Moshiri A, Bigham-Sadegh A. Bone morphogenetic
proteins: A powerful osteoinductive compound with non-negligible
side effects and limitations. Biofactors 2014;40:459-81.
11. Noori A, Ashrafi SJ, Vaez-Ghaemi R, Hatamian-Zaremi A, Webster TJ.
A review of fibrin and fibrin composites for bone tissue engineering. Int
J Nanomedicine 2017;12:4937-61.
12. Schützenberger S, Schultz A, Hausner T, Hopf R, Zanoni G, Morton T,
et al. The optimal carrier for BMP-2: A comparison of collagen versus
fibrin matrix. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2012;132:1363-70.
13. Kim YK, Kim SG, Byeon JH, Lee HJ, Um IU, Lim SC, et al.
Development of a novel bone grafting material using autogenous teeth.
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010;109:496-503.
14. Boerckel JD, Kolambkar YM, Dupont KM, Uhrig BA, Phelps EA,
Stevens HY, et al. Effects of protein dose and delivery system on BMPmediated
bone regeneration. Biomaterials 2011;32:5241-51.
15. Jung T, Lee JH, Park S, Kim YJ, Seo J, Shim HE, et al. Effect of BMP-2
delivery mode on osteogenic differentiation of stem cells. Stem Cells
16. Yeomans JD, Urist MR. Bone induction by decalcified dentine
implanted into oral, osseous and muscle tissues. Arch Oral Biol
17. Urist MR, Lietze A, Mizutani H, Takagi K, Triffitt JT, Amstutz J, et al.
A bovine low molecular weight bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)
fraction. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1982;162:219-32.
18. Liu G, Xu G, Gao Z, Liu Z, Xu J, Wang J, et al. Demineralized dentin
matrix induces odontoblastic differentiation of dental pulp stem cells.
Cells Tissues Organs 2016;201:65-76.
19. Goyden J, Tawara K, Hedeen D, Willey JS, Oxford JT, Jorcyk CL,
et al. The effect of OSM on MC3T3-E1 osteoblastic cells in simulated
microgravity with radiation. PLoS One 2015;10:e0127230.
20. Yan XZ, Yang W, Yang F, Kersten-Niessen M, Jansen JA, Both SK, et al.
Effects of continuous passaging on mineralization of MC3T3-E1 cells
with improved osteogenic culture protocol. Tissue Eng Part C Methods
21. Currey J. The structure and mechanics of bone. J Mater Sci
22. Oryan A, Alidadi S, Moshiri, A. Current concerns regarding healing of
bone defects. Hard Tissue 2013;2:13.
23. Blokhuis TJ, Calori GM, Schmidmaier G. Autograft versus BMPs
for the treatment of non-unions: What is the evidence? Injury
2013;44 Suppl 1:S40-2.
24. Oryan A, Moshiri A. Recombinant fibroblast growth protein enhances
healing ability of experimentally induced tendon injury in vivo. J Tissue
Eng Regen Med 2014;8:421-31.
25. Lee JY, Kim YK, Yi YJ, Choi JH. Clinical evaluation of ridge
augmentation using autogenous tooth bone graft material: Case series
study. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;39:156-60.
26. Koga T, Minamizato T, Kawai Y, Miura KI, Nakatani Y, Sumita Y,
et al. Bone Regeneration using dentin matrix depends on the degree of
demineralization and particle size. PLoS One 2016;11:e0147235.
27. Nam JW, Kim MY, Han SJ. Cranial bone regeneration according to
different particle sizes and densities of demineralized dentin matrix in
the rabbit model. Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg 2016;38:27.
28. Klüppel LE, Antonini F, Olate S, Nascimento FF, Albergaria-
Barbosa JR, Mazzonetto R, et al. Bone repair is influenced by different
particle sizes of anorganic bovine bone matrix: A histologic and
radiographic study in vivo. J Craniofac Surg 2013;24:1074-7.
29. Pallesen L, Schou S, Aaboe M, Hjørting-Hansen E, Nattestad A,
Melsen F, et al. Influence of particle size of autogenous bone grafts on
the early stages of bone regeneration: A histologic and stereologic study
in rabbit calvarium. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2002;17:498-506.
30. Cottrell JA, Keane O, Lin SS, O’Connor JP. BMP-2 modulates
expression of other growth factors in a rat fracture healing model.
J Appl Biomed 2014;12:127-35.
31. Ehnert S, Zhao J, Pscherer S, Freude T, Dooley S, Kolk A, et al.
Transforming growth factor b1 inhibits bone morphogenetic protein
(BMP)-2 and BMP-7 signaling via upregulation of Ski-related novel
protein N (SnoN): Possible mechanism for the failure of BMP therapy?
BMC Med 2012;10:101.
32. Avery SJ, Sadaghiani L, Sloan AJ, Waddington RJ. Analysing the
bioactive makeup of demineralised dentine matrix on bone marrow
mesenchymal stem cells for enhanced bone repair. Eur Cell Mater
33. Rath B, Nam J, Deschner J, Schaumburger J, Tingart M, Grässel S,
et al. Biomechanical forces exert anabolic effects on osteoblasts by
activation of SMAD 1/5/8 through Type 1 BMP receptor. Biorheology
34. Gomes MF, Valva VN, Vieira EM, Giannasi LC, Salgado MA, Vilela-
Goulart MG. Homogenous demineralized dentin matrix and plateletrich
plasma for bone tissue engineering in cranioplasty of diabetic
rabbits: Biochemical, radiographic, and histological analysis. Int J Oral
Maxillofac Surg 2016;45:255-66.
35. Antebi U, Mathor MB, da Silva AF, Guimarães RP, Honda EK. Effects
of ionizing radiation on proteins in lyophilized or frozen demineralized
human bone. Rev Bras Ortop 2016;51:224-30.
36. Robin M, Almeida C, Azaïs T, Haye B, Illoul C, Lesieur J, et al.
Involvement of 3D osteoblast migration and bone apatite during in vitro
early osteocytogenesis. Bone 2016;88:146-56.
37. Pang S, He Y, He P, Luo X, Guo Z, Li H, et al. Fabrication of two
distinct hydroxyapatite coatings and their effects on MC3T3-E1 cell
behavior. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2018;171:40-8.
38. Saleh LS, Carles-Carner M, Bryant SJ. The in vitro effects of
macrophages on the osteogenic capabilities of MC3T3-E1 cells
encapsulated in a biomimetic poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogel. Acta
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.