PHALERIA MACROCARPA LEAF EXTRACT-CHITOSAN NANOPARTICLES SUPRESS ANGIOGENESIS INDUCED BY DEXTRAN SODIUM SULFATE IN MICE COLON
Objective: Although an anti-inflammatory effect of Phaleria macrocarpa (Mahkota Dewa in Indonesian) leaf extract has been reported, the extract shows toxicity as the dose increases. Chitosan nanoparticles are known to have transport properties that can enhance the targeting of active compounds to tissues at a lower dose. The present study sought to determine whether the extract in chitosan nanoparticles can suppress angiogenesis in the colon tissue of mice.
Methods: We determined the antiangiogenic effect in 6 groups Swiss Webster mice: normal (N) group, negative control (NC) administered drinking water containing DSS 2% w/v (7 d) and followed by water without DSS (7 d) in 3 cycles, 12.5 and 25 mg leaf extract of P. macrocarpa/mouse (EPM 12.5 and EPM 25) groups, and 6.25 and 12.5 mg leaf extract of P. macrocarpa in chitosan nanoparticles/mouse (NPPM 6.25 and NPPM 12.5) groups. Hematoxylin and eosin-stained samples was performed to determine the amount of angiogenesis in the colon tissue.
Results: The angiogenesis in the NPPM 12.5 (p = 0.105) and EPM 25 (p = 0.07) groups was not significantly different to that in the negative control group (administered DSS alone). By contrast, angiogenesis in the EPM 12.5 (p = 0.03) and NPPM 6.25 (p = 0.02) groups was significantly less than that in the DSS group.
Conclusion: Angiogenesis in the colon tissue of mice was reduced by the extract with or without chitosan nanoparticles. The greatest reduction was found for the 12.5 mg/mouse dose of P. macrocarpa leaf extract in chitosan nanoparticles.
2. Ng WK, Wong SH, Ng SC. Changing epidemiological trends of inflammatory bowel disease in Asia. Int Res 2016;14:111–9.
3. Grivennikov SI. Inflammation and colorectal cancer: colitis-associated neoplasia. Semin Immunopathol 2013;35:229–44.
4. Alkim C, Alkim H, Koksal AR, Boga S, Sen I. Angiogenesis in inflammatory bowel disease. Int J Inflammation 2015;970890.
5. Pavlidis ET, Pavlidis TE. Role of bevacizumab in colorectal cancer growth and its adverse effect: a review. World J Gastroenterol 2013;19:5051–60.
6. Suprapti T, Louisa M, Tedjo A, Kusmardi Fadilah, Handjari DR, Yulhasri. Antiinflammatory effect of phaleria macrocarpa (Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl.) leaves extract on colon carcinogenesis induced by azoxymethane and dextran sodium sulphate: focus on the iNOS, ?-catenin, and COX-2 expressions. Asian J Appl Sci 2014;2:511–27.
7. Wang JJ, Zeng ZW, Xiao RZ, Xie T, Zhou GL, Zhan XR, et al. Recent advances of chitosan nanoparticles as drug carriers. Int J Nanomed 2011;6:765–74.
8. Kusmardi K, Estuningtyas A, Shavera D, Tedjo A, Priyosoeryanto BP. The effect of mahkota dewa (Phaleria Macrocarpa) (Scheff.) fruit pericarp extract on iNOs in mice colon intermittenly induced by dextran sodium sulfate. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:309-12.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.