DEVELOPMENT OF SODIUM ALGINATE COATED NANOPARTICLES OF METRONIDAZOLE FOR THE TREATMENT OF PERIODONTITIS
Objective: The present study was aimed to develop metronidazole (MNZ) loaded poly lactic-co-glycolic acid (PLGA) based mucoadhesive nanoparticles (NPs) in prolonged treatment in periodontitis.
Methods: Nanoparticles were prepared by using single (SE) and double (DE) emulsion method to determine the suitability of methods. Prepared NPs were evaluated for surface morpholgy, mean particle size, polydispersity index, zeta potential, mucoadhesion ability and invitro-drug release,
Results: SEM images confirmed that NPs were of spherical shape and smooth surface. Mean particle size, of MNZ loaded NPs were found 583.28±18.22 and 872.72±63.18 prepared by SE and DE method. Similarly, polidispersity index (0.68±0.1 and 0.83±0.06) and zeta potention (-33.29±0.7 and-22.214.171.124) was found in acceptable range. Prepared NPs were surface treated with Sodium alginate (SA) to increase mucoadhesive property. It was observe that particles remain adhere till 24 hr with biological membrane. Prepared NPs allow release of MNZ upto 24 h in sustained manner.
Conclusion: This study confirms that the prepared MNZ loaded NPs may be used as an better alternate with addition application such as prolonged action thus improved patient compliance.
2. Jyosna D, Jyothi JB. Multiparticulate drug delivery systems using natural polymers as release retardant materials. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:61-5.
3. Perioli L, Ambrogi V, Rubini D, Giovagnoli S, Ricci M, Blasi P, et al. Novel mucoadhesive buccal formulation containing metronidazole for the treatment of periodontal disease. J Controlled Release 2004;95:521-33.
4. Lindhe J, Rosling B, Socransky SS, Volpe AR. The effect of a triclosan-containing dentifrice on established plaque and gingivitis. J Clin Periodontol 1993;20:327-34.
5. Ansari MF, Siddiqui SM, Agarwal SM, Vikramdeo KS, Mondal N, Azam A. metronidazole hydrazone conjugates: Design, synthesis, antiamoebic and molecular docking studies. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2015;25:3545-9.
6. Niwa T, Takeuchi H, Hino T, Kunou N, Kawashima Y. Preparation of biodegradable nanoparticles of water-soluble and insoluble drugs with D, L lactide/glycolide copolymer by a novel spontaneous emulsification solvent diffusion method, and the drug release behavior. J Controlled Release 1993;25:89-98.
7. Vandervoort J, Ludwig A. Influence of process parameters of high-pressure emulsification method on the properties of pilocarpine-loaded nanoparticles. J Microencapsulation 2003;20:449-58.
8. Song X, Zhao Y, Hou S, Xu F, Zhao R, He J, et al. Dual agents loaded PLGA nanoparticles: systematic study of particle size and drug entrapment efficiency. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008;69:445-53.
9. Stolnik S, Dunn SE, Garnett MC, Davies MC, Coombes AG, Taylor DC, et al. Surface modification of poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanospheres by biodegradable poly(lactide)-poly(ethylene glycol) copolymers. Pharm Res 1994;11:1800-8.
10. Sharma N, Kulkarni GT, Sharma A, Bhatnagar A. Natural mucoadhesive microspheres of abelmoschus esculentus polysaccharide as a new carrier for nasal drug delivery. J Microencapsulation 2013;30:589-98.
11. Ashtarinezhad A, Shirazi FH, Vatanpour H, Mohamazadehasl B, Panahyab A, Nakhjavani M. FTIR-microspectroscopy detection of metronidazole teratogenic effects on mice fetus. Iran J Pharm Res 2014;13(Suppl):101–11.
12. Babak VG, Baros F, Boulanouar O, Boury F, Fromm M, Kildeeva NR, et al. Impact of bulk and surface properties of some biocompatible hydrophobic polymers on the stability of methylene chloride-in-water mini-emulsions used to prepare nanoparticles by emulsification-solvent evaporation. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2007;59:194-207.
13. Athmakur H, Kondapi AK. Carmustine loaded lactoferrin nanoparticles demonstrates an enhanced antiproliferative activity against glioblastoma in vitro. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:234-41.
14. Sharma N, Tyagi S, Kulkarni GT, Sharma A, Bhatnagar A. Development and gamma-scintigraphy study of Hibiscus rosasinensis polysaccharide based microspheres for nasal drug delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2016;42:1763-71.
15. Mishra R, Mir SR, Amin S. Polymeric nanoparticles for improved bioavailability of cilnidipine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:129-3.
16. Takeuchi H, Yamamoto H, Kawashima Y. Mucoadhesive nanoparticulate systems for peptide drug delivery. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2001;47:39-54.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.