FORMULATION AND IMMUNOSTIMULANT STABILITY POLYSACCHARIDE SYRUP OF FRACTION NONI (Morinda citrifolia L.) FRUITS
Objective: The study aimed to formulate standardized polysaccharide fraction of Noni (SPFN) fruit into syrup preparations to fulfill the acceptability requirement of National Agency of Drugs and Food Control [Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan Republik of Indonesia (BPOM RI)] so that it can be used in the community as immunostimulant.
Methods: The optimization of the formula A and B were done using Simplex Lattice Design (SLD) method and its stability tested under extreme temperature change effect using thaw cycling method by evaluating the physical properties, microbial contamination and immunostimulant activity. MTT method was used to determine immunostimulant activity of syrup against lymphocyte proliferation in vitro.
Results: Based on the results of stability tests using pH, viscosity, taste, amount of bacteria, yeast and mold parameters and fulfilled the acceptability requirement of BPOM RI. Formula A could maintain better stability than formula B. Formula A syrup used for immunostimulant activity testing that could increase lymphocyte proliferation at concentration of 13.33 to 106.64 μg/μl and it’s stable under the influence of extreme temperature changes.
Conclusion: Formula A could be used to produce SPFN syrup which has a stable physical properties and immunostimulant activity beside no microbial contamination that fulfill requirements of BPOM RI.
Available at: https://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/what_are_polysaccharides.htm
Accessed 07 May 2019
2. Cseke LJ, Kirakosyan A, Kaufman PB, Warber S, Duke JA, Brielman HL.
Natural product from plant. 2016. 2Ed. 27-30. CRC Press. USA.
3. Ramberg JE, Nelson ED, Sinnott RA. Immunomodulatory dietary polysaccharides: a systematic review of the literature. Nutr J. 2010;9:54.
4. Wang M, West B, Jensen C, Nowicki D, Su C, Palu A, Anderson G.Morinda citrifolia (noni). A literature review and recent advances in noni research. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2002;23:1127-1141.
5. Hirazumi A, Furusawa E, Chou SC, Hokama Y. Immunomodulation contributes to the anti-cancer activity of Morinda citrifolia (noni) fruit juice. Proc West Pharmacol Soc. 1996;39:25-27.
6. Palu A, Hirazumi A, West B, Deng S, Jensen J, White L.The effects of Morinda citrifolia L. (noni) on the immune system: Its molecular mechanism of action. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;115:502-506.
7. Ediati S, Hertiani T, Kartika S, Maharani FP, Setiawan V, Narastika L. Optimization of Polysaccharide-Rich Fractionation from Morinda citrifolia L., Fruit based on immunostimulatory effect in vitro, Indonesian J. Pharm. 2014;26(2):78-85
8. Ediati S, Lukitaningsih E, Rumiyati. Noni fruit as bio-immunostimulant material: characterization of purified polysaccharide fraction of Morinda citrifolia L. fruit. The Proceeding of Conference on Health Management in Post Disaster Recovery 2017
9. Kaushik A, Chauhan V, Sudha. Formulation and evaluation of herbal cough Syrup. European Journal Of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2016;3(5):2394-3211.
10. Supriyatna MW, Iskandar Y, Febriyanti MR. Prinsip Obat Herbal: Sebuah Pengantar untuk Fitoterapi.Edisi 1. 47. 2014.Deepublish. Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
11. Jones DS. Pharmaceutics Dosage Form and Design. 2016, 2ndEdition, 1-21, Pharmaceutical Press, London.
12. BPOM RI. Peraturan Kepala BPOM No. 12 Tahun 2014 Tentang persyaratan mutu obat tradisional. 2014;15-16. BPOM. Jakarta.
13. Hill R. What sample size is “enough” in internet survey research. Interpersonal Computing and Technology: An electronic journal for the 21st century. 6(3-4). 1-12 cit. Mohammed K, Fatima B, Abdennour B, Lackhdar A. 2017. The Fit between Strategic Choice and Organization Structure and their Impact on the Effectiveness of the Organization: Study of a Set of Medium and Large Instutution in Algeria. International Journal of Business and Social Science. 1998;8(1):2219-6021
14. Lisprayatna L, Bayu YM, Saifullah TNS. Formulasi sirup ekstrak daun legundi (Vitex trifolia L.), Majalah Obat Tradisional. 2012; 17(2):34-38.
15. Ansel HC, Allen LV, Popovich NG. Ansel’s Pharmaceutical dosage forms and drug delivery systems.Lippinacott Willliams & Wilkins. 2002.9th Edition; 374-379. United States of America
16. Allen LV, Ansel HC. Ansel’s Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems, 2014,10th edition, 411-415, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore
17. Martin AN, Sinko PJ, Singh Y. Martin’s Physical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science, 2011, 6th edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia.
18. Chen XT, Li Y, Wang HL, Cheng WM, Zhang L, Ge JF. Immunomodulating effects of fractioned polysaccharides isolated from yuping-feng-powder in cyclophospamide-treated mice. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2016;34(4):631-641.
19. Sambasivarao A, Baru CSR, Reddy MH. Accelerated stability testing of dosage forms as per International Conference of Harmonization (ICH) Guidelines. World Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2016;2(3):99-103.
20. Rowe RC; Sheskey PJ; Quinn ME. Handbook of pharmaceutical excipients. 2009. 6th Edition, Pharmaceutical Press, London.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.