EFFECT OF CELLULOSIC POLYMER ON PHYSICO MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF SUPERPOROUS HYDROGEL OF AN ANTIHYPERTENSIVE DRUG AND DRUG RELEASE KINETICS FROM IT
Superporous hydrogels (SPHs), a novel drug delivery system can be developed to retain drugs in the gastric medium. On water absorption through open porous structure these systems instantly swell in the stomach by capillary force and maintain their integrity in the stomach environment. Atenolol, an antihypertensive, is highly unstable at basic pH. Hence there is a need to develop a gastroretentive system. In this study, super porous hydrogel of Atenolol has been developed in different ratio of two different grades of HPMC along with Carbopol 971p. Adequate strength to resist the forces in the environment was achieved by the addition of Ac- Di- Sol. Sodium Chloride has been used as pore forming agents. Solvent penetration, hydration, swelling and diffusion of the drug are the key features for drug release mechanism from this system.
The structural morphology of hydrogel was observed by Scanning Electron Microscopy. The study revealed the presence of pores in different size ranges like 1 µm, 2 µm, 10 µm etc. Since the SPHs possess lot of pores, the density of them was found to be lower compared to the conventional hydrogels. A correlation has been found between porosity, density and % swelling index. With increase in porosity, density decreases and swelling index was found to be increased. The drug release data from the formulations obeyed Higuchi and Korsmeyer- Peppas kinetics. Next the data were fitted to the Kopcha model for confirming drug release by combination of diffusion-controlled and chain relaxation–swelling mechanism. It was found that the diffusion mechanism predominated the process leading to quasi diffusion and Fickian diffusion mechanism.
2. Chen J. Park H. Park K. Synthesis of superporous hydrogels: Hydrogels with fast swelling and superabsorbent properties. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 1999;44:53-62 .
3. Yong Q. Park K. Superporous IPN Hydrogels Having Enhanced Mechanical Properties. AAPS PharmSciTech.2003;. 4(4): 406–412.
4. Reddy A M, Narsimharao N., Srinivasababu P, Navyasri N, Reddy A. A, Formulation and characterization of super porous hydrogel of Nizatidine. Ind. J Res. Pharm. Biotech.2015; 3(5), 351-350.
5. . Chen J, Park K. Synthesis and characterization of superporous hydrogels composites. J Control Release. 2000; 65(1-2):73 -82.
6. P. K. Sharma, G. S. Asthana, A. Asthana. Hydrogel Advancement: A New Approach for Gastroretentive Drug Delivery. Int J Pharm Clin,2016; 8(10) : 1418-1422.
7. Akhtar M. F, Hanif M, Ranjha N. M.. Methods of synthesis of hydrogels .. A review. Saudi Pharml J. 2016; 24(5): 554–559.
8. Chen J, Blevins WE, Park H, Park K, Gastric retention properties of superporous hydrogel composites. J Control Release. 200; 64(1-3):39-51.
9. Narayanaswamy R,Vladimir P.T. Hydrogels and Their Applications in Targeted Drug Delivery. Molecules. 2019;24(3):603-624.
10. Dantas M. G. B., Reis S. A., Damasceno G. B., Damasceno C. M. D. et al. Development and Evaluation of Stability of a Gel Formulation Containing the Monoterpene Borneol. The Sci World J.2016; 2016, Article ID 7394685 .
11. Farid A.D, Verhoef J.C, Borchard G, Rafiee M.T, Hans E.J. Development and characterization of a Novel peroral peptide drug delivery system. J. Control. Rel.2001; 71: 307 -18.
12. Köse G.T, Kenar H, Hasirci N., Hasirci V. Macroporous poly (3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) matrices for bone tissue engineering. Biomaterials.2003; 24: 1949-1958.
13. Gupta N. V, Shivakumar H.G. Preparation and characterization of superporous hydrogels as gastroretentive drug delivery system for rosiglitazone maleate. DARU.2010;18(3): 200 - 210.
14. Deore L. P, Devidas G .B, Superporous Hydrogel (SPH): An Innovative Approach of Gastro retention. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences.2013; 4(4) :261-275.
15. Chavda H V, Patel C N. Preparation and Characterization of Swellable Polymer-Based Superporous Hydrogel Composite of Poly (Acrylamide-co-Acrylic Acid). Trends Biomater. Artif. Organs. 2010;24(2),83-89.
16. Kumar A., Pandey M.,. Koshi M.K,. Saraf S.A. Synthesis of fast swelling superporous hydrogel: effect of concentration of cross linker and acdisol on swelling ratio and mechanical strength. Int. J Drug Deliv.2010; 2:135-140.
17. Chavda H.V, Patel R.D,. Modhia I.P and. Patel C.N. Role of Superporous Hydrogel Particles as A Superdisintegrant in Fast Disintegrating Tablet of Glipizide. Chronicles of Young Scientists. 2014;5 (1): 11-19.
18. Muthuswamy R, Deepan D.. Formulation and evaluation of superporous hydrogel tablet rabeprazole sodium as gastroretentive drug. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research.2018; 5: 271-278.
19. Mukherjee B.,. Das S,. Patra B,. Layek B. Nefopam containing transdermal -matrix patches based on pressure- sensitive adhesive polymers. PharmTech,2006;. 30: 146 -163.
20. . Bonardi A.H, & Bonardi F.,. Morlet S, et al. Photoinduced Thermal Polymerization Reactions. Macromolecules. 2018:10.1021/acs.macromol.8b01741.
21. Kumar A,. Pandey M,.Mamman K,. Saraf S. Synthesis of fast swelling superporous hydrogel: effect of concentration of crosslinker and acdisol on swelling ratio and mechanical strength. International Journal of Drug Delivery.2011; 2: 135-140.
22. Naziha C, L’Hocine Y,G. Lukas ,L.M. Federico ,C. Soumia ,F. Silvia . History and Applications of Hydrogels. Journal of Biomedical Sciences. 2015;4:1
23. Narayanan V, Shameema A, B. Curcumin Intra-oral Controlled Release Films for Oral Candidiasis: A Comparative Study with Fluconazole, Elucidation of Release Mechanism. Current Drug Therapy. 2018, 43-55.
24. Babu B.R,. Kilaru N.B. An Unified Mathematical Expression for Ideal Peppas Model: Prospective Estimation of percent deviation. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016;6(3):189-196.
25. Kopcha M.. Lordi M, N. G, J. Tojo K., Evaluation of release from selected thermo softening vehicles. J. Pharm. Pharmacol.1999; 43 (3): 382- 7.
26. Kamaly N, B Yameen, J Wu, OC Farokhzad. Degradable Controlled-Release Polymers and Polymeric Nanoparticles: Mechanisms of Controlling Drug Release. Chem Rev.2016; 116(4):2602- 2663.
27. Gohel M.C,. Ramkishan A,. Patel T.M,.Pandya R ,. Suthar V, , H Koradia, Madat DV, Bariya S, Mehta T. Nomogram for computing the value of similarity factor. Indian J Pharm Sci.2014; 76(3):245–251.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.