HUMAN ORGANIC SOLUTE TRANSPORTERS UTTERED IN SMALL INTESTINE, LIVER, AND KIDNEY FOR HOMEOSTASIS
The transporters participate in a significant role in drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, and elimination. Transporters are of efflux and influx type, need ATP-binding sites for their in and out movement across the cell membrane. These transporters play an important role in allowing or opposing the drugs into the cells, results in non-linearity in drug pharmacokinetics. A wide range of transporters was discovered; among them, organic solute transporters (OST) play a key role in drug absorption and disposition. Organic solute transporters is a heteromeric transporter localized to the basolateral of epithelial cells. It is the primary efflux bile acid transporter in the intestine of mammals.
2. Hertanto R, Bastian WP, Louisa M. The modulation of drug efflux transporter by curcumin in MCF 7 breast cancer cells after repeated exposure of endoxifen and estradiol. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:102-5.
3. Dawson PA, Hubbert ML, Rao A. Getting the mOST from OST: role of organic solute transporters, OST?-OST?, in bile acid and steroid metabolism. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 2010;1801:994-1004.
4. Russel FG. Transporters: importance in drug absorption, distribution, and removal. In: Enzyme-and transporters-based drug-drug interactions; 2010. p. 27-49.
5. Liang Y, Li S, Chen L. The physiological role of drug transporters. Protein Cell 2015;6:334-50.
6. Petzinger E, Geyer J. Drug transporters in pharmacokinetics. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 2006;372:465-75.
7. Ballatori N. Biology of a novel organic solute and steroid transporters, OST?-OST?. Exp Biol Med 2005;230:689-98.
8. Ballatori N, Christian WV, Wheeler SG, Hammond CL. The heteromeric organic solute transporters, OST?–OST?/SLC51: a transporter for steroid-derived molecules. Mol Aspects Med 2013;34:683-92.
9. Dawson PA, Hubbert ML, Rao A. Getting the mOST from OST: role of organic solute transporters, OST?-OST?, in bile acid and steroid metabolism. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 2010;1801:994-1004.
10. Dawson PA, Lan T, Rao A. Bile acid transporters. J Lipid Res 2009;50:2340-57.
11. Schaffner CA, Mwinyi J, Gai Z, Thasler WE, Eloranta JJ, Kullak Ublick GA. The organic solute transporters alpha and beta are induced by hypoxia in human hepatocytes. Liver Int 2015;35:1152-61.
12. Rao A, Haywood J, Craddock AL, Belinsky MG, Kruh GD, Dawson PA. The organic solute transporters ?-?, Ost?-Ost?, is essential for intestinal bile acid transport and homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci India 2008;105:3891-6.
13. Anusha GB, Hindustan AA, Haranath C, Suryaprakash RC, Kalpana K. A technical view on transporters-the drug pharmacokinetics dictators. MOJ Bioequivalence Bioavailability 2019;6:39?45.
14. Landowski CP, Sun D, Foster DR, Menon SS, Barnett JL, Welage LS. Gene expression in the human intestine and correlation with oral valacyclovir pharmacokinetic parameters. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2003;306:778-86.
15. Shugarts S, Benet LZ. The role of transporters in the pharmacokinetics of orally administered drugs. Pharm Res 2009;26:2039-54.
16. Mizuno N, Sugiyama Y. Drug transporters: their role and importance in the selection and development of new drugs. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 2002;17:93-108.
17. Wu CY, Benet LZ. Predicting drug disposition via application of BCS: transport/absorption/elimination interplay and development of a biopharmaceutics drug disposition classification system. Pharm Res 2005;22:11-23.
18. Hagenbuch B, Gui C. Xenobiotic transporters of the human organic anion transporting polypeptides (OATP) family. Xenobiotica 2008;38:778-801.
19. Zhou SF, Wang LL, Di YM, Xue CC, Duan W, Li CG. Substrates and inhibitors of human multidrug resistance-associated proteins and the implications in drug development. Curr Med Chem 2008;15:1981-2039.
20. Nielsen S, Westerhoff AM, Ge LG, Carlsen KL, Pedersen MDL, Nielsen CU. MRP2-mediated transport of etoposide in MDCKII MRP2 cells is unaffected by commonly used non-ionic surfactants. Int J Pharm 2019;565:306-15.
21. Kusuhara H, Sugiyama Y. ATP-binding cassette, subfamily G (ABCG family). Pflugers Archiv Eur J Physiol 2007;453:735-44.
22. Srimaroeng C, Perry JL, Pritchard JB. Physiology, structure, and regulation of the cloned organic anion transporters. Xenobiotica 2008;38:889-935.
23. Zair ZM, Eloranta JJ, Stieger B, Kullak Ublick GA. Pharmacogenetics of OATP (SLC21/SLCO), OAT and OCT (SLC22) and PEPT (SLC15) transporters in the intestine, liver and kidney. Pharmacogenomics 2008;9:597-624.
24. Ciarimboli G. Organic cation transporters. Xenobiotica 2008;38:936-71.
25. Van Montfoort JE, Muller M, Groothuis GM, Meijer DK, Koepsell H, Meier PJ. Comparison of “type I” and “type II” organic cation transport by organic cation Transporters and organic anion-transporting polypeptides. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2001;298:110-5.
26. Li L, Meier PJ, Ballatori N. Oatp2 mediates bidirectional organic solute transport: a role for intracellular glutathione. Mol Pharmacol 2000;58:335-40.
27. Satlin LM, Amin V, Wolkoff AW. Organic anion transporting polypeptide mediates organic anion/HCO3? exchange. J Biol Chem 1997;272:26340-5.
28. Rao A, Haywood J, Craddock AL, Belinsky MG, Kruh GD, Dawson PA. The organic solute transporters ?-?, Ost?-Ost?, is essential for intestinal bile acid transport and homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2008;105:3891-6.
29. Soroka CJ, Mennone A, Hagey LR, Ballatori N, Boyer JL. Mouse organic solute Transporters ? deficiency enhances renal excretion of bile acids and attenuates cholestasis. Hepatology 2010;51:181-90.
30. Mahadevan MV, Ramaswamy RS, Banumathi V. Mimosa pudica exerts neuroprotection against MPP induced neurotoxicity in SH-SY5Y cell lines-an in vitro model of anti-parkinsonism. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2006;9:21-6.
31. Li N, Cui Z, Fang F, Lee JY, Ballatori N. Heterodimerization, trafficking and membrane topology of the two proteins, Ost? and Ost?, that constitute the organic solute and steroid transporters. Biochem J 2007;407:363-72.
32. Frankenberg T, Rao A, Chen F, Haywood J, Shneider BL, Dawson PA. Regulation of the mouse organic solute transporters ?-?, Ost?-Ost?, by bile acids. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2006;290:G912-22.
33. Landrier JF, Eloranta JJ, Vavricka SR, Kullak Ublick GA. The nuclear receptor for bile acids, FXR, transactivates the human organic solute transporters-? and-? genes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2006;290:G476-85.
34. Sultan M, Rao A, Elpeleg O, Vaz FM, Abu Libdeh B, Karpen SJ. Organic solute transporters?? (SLC51B) deficiency in two brothers with congenital diarrhea and features of cholestasis. Hepatology 2018;68:590-8.
35. Khandelwal VK, Singh P, Ravingerova T, Chaudhary M. Evaluation of ezenus in an experimental model of diet-induced alcoholic and non-alcoholic fatty liver condition in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:247-52.
36. Russell DW. Fifty years of advances in bile acid synthesis and metabolism. J Lipid Res 2009;50(Suppl):S120-5.
37. Malinen MM, Ali L, Bezençon J, Beaudoin JJ, Brouwer KLR. Organic solute Transporters OST?/? is overexpressed in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and modulated by drugs associated with liver injury. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2018;314:G597-G609.
38. Courtney BF, Jianing Li, Jamie H, Kimberly P, Brian SR, Benjamin H. Organic solute transporters ?-? protects ileal enterocytes from bile acid-induced injury. Cellular Mol Gastro Enterol Hepatol 2018;5:499–522.
39. Khan AA, Chow EC, Porte RJ, Pang KS, Groothuis GM. Expression and regulation of the bile acid transporters, OST??OST? in rat and human intestine and liver. Biopharm Drug Dispos 2009;30:241-58.
40. Sun AQ, Balasubramaniyan N, Xu K, Liu C, Ponamgi VM, Liu H, et al. Protein-protein interaction and membrane localization of human organic solute transporters (hOST). Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2007;292:G1586–93.
41. Li N, Cui Z, Fang F, Lee JY, Ballatori N. Heterodimerization, trafficking and membrane topology of the two proteins, Ost? and Ost?, that constitute the organic solute and steroid transporters. Biochem J 2007;407:363-72.
42. Ballatori N, Christian WV, Lee JY, Dawson PA, Soroka CJ, Boyer JL. OST??OST?: A major basolateral bile acid and steroid transporters in human intestinal, renal, and biliary epithelia. Hepatology 2005;42:1270-9.
43. Melina MM, Izna Ali, Kim LR. Organic solute transporters OST?/? is verexpressed in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and modulated by drugs associated with liver injury. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2018;314:G597–G609.
44. Seward DJ, Koh AS, Boyer JL, Ballatori N. Functional complementation between a novel mammalian polygenic transport complex and evolutionarily ancient organic solute transporters, OST?-OST?. J Biol Chem 2003;278:27473-82.
45. Dawson PA, Haywood J, Craddock AL, Wilson M, Tietjen M, Kluckman K. Targeted deletion of the ileal bile acid transporters eliminates enterohepatic cycling of bile acids in mice. J Biol Chem 2003;278:33920-7.
46. Soroka CJ, Mennone A, Hagey LR, Ballatori N, Boyer JL. Mouse organic solute Transporters ? deficiency enhances renal excretion of bile acids and attenuates cholestasis. Hepatology 2010;51:181-90.
47. Al-mamun MA, Rahman MA, Hassan R, Rahmann Z, Haque KMF. Histopathological alterations induced by common krait bungarus caeruleus venom on hepatic, renal and cardiac tissues of albino mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7:239-42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.