THE EFFECTIVENESS OF WATERMELON RIND EXTRACT AS CORROSION INHIBITOR IN STAINLESS STEEL ORTHODONTIC WIRE
Objective: To determine the effectiveness of watermelon rind extract as corrosion inhibitor in stainless steel orthodontic wire.
Methods: This research was a laboratory experimental research with post-test control group design. Samples used in this experiment were 40 pieces of stainless steel orthodontic wire that were divided equally into four groups with artificial saliva as the medium, one control group without extract addition, and three treatment groups with various concentrations of watermelon rind extract, namely 200 ppm, 600 ppm and 1000 ppm. Measurement of the corrosion rate was carried out by using an eDAQ potentiostat and the result of data analysis were presented in tables and diagrams.
Results: The highest corrosion rate occurred in control group, while in treatment groups the corrosion rate decreased significantly, with inhibitor effectiveness raised along with the increasing concentration. The most effective concentration was 1000 ppm with inhibitor effectiveness value of 46.12%.
Conclusion: Watermelon rind has the inhibiting effect on stainless steel orthodontic wire’s corrosion rate.
2. Arab S, Cham MH, Morsaghian M, Ghamari M, Mortezai O. Evaluation of nickel and chromium ion release from stainless steel, HANT and NiTi arch wires in two 28-day time spans. Iranian J Orthodontics 2015;10:e4863.
3. De Menezes LM, Quintão CCA. The release of ions from metallic orthodontic appliances. Semin Orthod 2010;16:282-92.
4. Senkutvan RS, Jacob S, Charles A, Vadgaonkar V, Jatol Tekade S, Gangurde P. Evaluation of nickel ion release from various orthodontic arch wires: an in vitro study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2014;4:12-6.
5. Ziebowics A, Walke W, Barucha Kepka A, Kiel M. Corrosion behavior of metallic biomaterials used as orthodontic wires. J AMME 2008;27:151-2.
6. Odewunmi NA, Umoren SA, Gasem ZM. Utilization of watermelon rind extract as a green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic media. J Ind Eng Chem 2015;21:239-47.
7. Odewunmi NA, Umoren SA, Gasem ZM, Ganiyu SA, Muhammad Q. L-citrulline: an active corrosion inhibitor component of watermelon rind extract for mild steel in HCl medium. J Taiwan Inst Chem Eng 2015;51:177-85.
8. Lakshmipathy R, Sarada NC. Application of watermelon rind as sorbent for removal of nickel and cobalt from aqueous solution. Int J Miner Proc 2013;122:63-5.
9. Reddy NA, Lakshmipathy R, Sarada NC. Application of Citrullus lanatus rind as biosorbent for removal of trivalent chromium from aqueous solution. J Alexandria Eng 2014;53:969-75.
10. Lakshmipathy R, Vinod AV, Sarada NC. Watermelon rind as biosorbent for removal of Cd2+from aqueous solution: FTIR, EDX, and kinetic studies. J Indian Chem Soc 2013;90:1147-54.
11. Lakshmipathy R, Sarada NC. Adsorptive removal of basic cationic dyes from aqueous solution by chemically protonated watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) rind biomass. J Desalin Water Treat 2014;52:6175-84.
12. Hera K, Johnson JW. Corrosion of stainless steel, nickel-titanium, coated nickel-titanium, and titanium orthodontic wires. Angle Orthod 1999;69:39-44.
13. Haryono G, Sugiarto B, Farid H, Tanoto Y. Ekstrak bahan alam sebagai inhibitor korosi. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Teknik Kimia “Kejuangan”, Pengembangan Teknologi Kimia untuk Pengolahan Sumber Daya Alam Indonesia. Yogyakarta; 2010. p. 1-6.
14. Madhav A, Pusphalatha PB. Characterization of pectin extracted from different fruit wastes. J Trop Agric 2002;40:53-5.
15. Dariva CG, Galio AF. Corrosion inhibitors–principles, mechanisms and applications. In: Aliofkhazraei M. editor. Developments in corrosion protection. InTech; 2014. p. 365-6.
16. Yatiman P. Penggunaan inhibitor organik untuk pengendalian korosi logam dan paduan logam. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Penelitian, Pendidikan dan Penerapan MIPA; Yogyakarta; 2009. p. K-134-42.
17. Hussin MH, Kassim MJ. The corrosion inhibition and adsorption behavior of uncaria gambir extract on mild steel in 1 M HCl. Material Chem Physics 2011;125:461-8.
18. Priyotomo G, Nuraini L. Studi awal potensi daun belimbing wuluh sebagai inhibitor korosi pada baja karbon di larutan asam klorida. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Sains dan Teknologi: Jakarta; 2016. p. 1-8.
19. Hamdani S, Elta MS. Pengaruh inhibitor ekstrak daun pepaya terhadap korosi baja karbon schedule 40 grade B ERW dalam medium air laut dan air tawar. J Ris Kim 2012;5:175-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.