THE INCREASE OF TOOTH ENAMEL SURFACE HARDNESS AFTER APPLICATION BLOOD COCKLE SHELLS (ANADARA GRANOSA) PASTE AS REMINERALIZATION AGENT
Objective: To determine the increase of tooth enamel surface hardness after application hydroxyapatite paste that was synthesized from blood cockle shells (Anadara granosa) as a remineralization agent.
Methods: Laboratory experimental study using twenty-seven maxillary first premolar and randomly divided into 3 groups. All of the samples were immersed in the non-cola carbonated drink (2 min). Thereafter, samples in each group were treated (6 min) with application of blood cockle shells paste that has been synthesized (group 1), casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate paste (GC Tooth Mousse®) (group 2) as a positive control, and stored in saline solution (NaCl) (group 3) as a negative control. Vickers Hardness Number (VHN) measurement was performed at baseline, after immersing in non-cola carbonated drink and after completing of the respective treatment.
Results: Immersion in non-cola carbonated drink reduced the enamel surface hardness significantly. Significant re-hardening after treated occurred in group 1 and 2 also baseline hardness of both groups were achieved. But statistically no significant differences between group 1 and 2 in re-hardening enamel surface hardness (ﬁnal hardness-hardness after immersion).
Conclusion: Application of blood cockle shells paste as a remineralization agent could increase tooth enamel surface hardness which is nearly the same effective as CPP-ACP paste.
2. Lam T, Ho J, Anbarani AG, Liaw LH, Takesh T. Effects of a novel dental gel on enamel surface recovery from acid challenge. Dentistry 2016;6:1-5.
3. Syafira G, Permatasari R, Wardani N. Theobromine effects on enamel surface microhardness: in vitro. J Dentistry Indonesia 2012;19:32-6.
4. Ren YF. Dental erosion: Etiology, diagnosis, and prevention. Pennwell 2011;31:76-80.
5. Coceska E, Gjorgievska E, Coleman NJ, Gabric D, Slipper IJ. Enamel alteration following tooth bleaching and remineralization. J Microsc 2015;262:3-11.
6. Kantharia N, Naik S, Apte S, Kheur M, Kheur S. Nano-hydroxyapatite and its contemporary applications. JDRSD 2014;1:15-7.
7. Sari RP, Hermanto E, Divilia D, Candra I, Kuncoro W, Liswanti T. Effects of Anadaragranosa shell combined with Sardinella longiceps oil on osteoblast proliferation in bone defect healing process. Dental J (Majalah Kedokteran Gigi) 2016;49:28-32.
8. Gergely G, Wéber F, Lukacs I, Toth AL, Horvath ZE. Preparation and characterization of hydroxyapatite from the eggshell. Ceramics Int 2010;36:803-6.
9. Asmawati. Identification of inorganic compounds in the eggshell as a dental remineralization material. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2:168-71.
10. Musa B, Raya I, Natsir H. Synthesis and characterization of hydroxyapatite derived blood clamshells (Anadaragranosa) and its potency to dental remineralizations. Int J Appl Chem 2016;12:527-38.
11. Wu SC, Hsu HC, Hsu SK, Chang YC, Ho WF. Synthesis of hydroxyapatite from eggshell powders through ball milling and heat treatment. J Asian Ceramic Soc 2016;4:85-90.
12. Elizondo Villarreal N, Martinez-de-la-Cruz A, Obregon Guerra R, Gomez Ortega JL, Torres Martinez LM. Biomaterials from agricultural waste: eggshell-based hydroxyapatite. Water Air Soil Pollut 2012;223:3643-6.
13. Hazmi AJ, Zuki ABZ, Noordin MM, Jalila A, Norimah Y. Mineral composition of the Cockle (Anadaragranosa) shells of West Coast of Peninsular Malaysia and it’s potential as biomaterial for use in bone repair. J Anim Vet Adv 2007;6:591-4.
14. Kamba AS, Ismail M, Azmi T, Ibrahim T, Zakaria ZAB. Synthesis and characterization of calcium carbonate aragonite nanocrystals from cockle shell powder (Anadaragranosa). J Nanomaterials 2013;2013:1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2013/398357
15. Sivaperumal R Vignesh, Mani Rajkumar, N Meenakshisundaram, Arumugam Kandaswamy. Direct hydrothermal synthesis of hydroxyapatite/alumina composite. Materials Characterization 2017;134:1.
16. Lussi A. Jaeggi T. Erosion-diagnosis and risk factors. Clin Oral Investig 2008;12 Suppl 1:5-13.
17. Wongkhantee S, Patanapiradej V, Maneenut C, Tantbirojn D. Effect of acidic food and drinks on surface hardness of enamel, dentin, and tooth-colored filling materials. J Dent 2006;34:214-20.
18. Wegehaupt FJ, Taubock TT, Stillhard A, Patrick R Schmidlin, Attin T. In?uence of extra-and intra-oral application of CPP-ACP and ?uoride on re-hardening of eroded enamel. Acta Odontol Scand 2012;70:177-83.
19. Poggio C, Mirando M, Rattalino D, Viola M, Colombo M, Beltrami R. Protective effect of zinc-hydroxyapatite toothpastes on enamel erosion: an in vitro study. J Clin Exp Dent 2017;9:e118-22.
20. Wiegand A, Muller I, Schnapp JD, Werner C, Attin T. Impact of ?uoride, milk and water rinsing on surface rehardening of acid softened enamel. An in situ study. Am J Dent 2008;21:113-8.
21. Hooper S, Hughes J, Parker D, Finke M, Newcombe RG, Addy M, et al. A clinical study in situ to assess the effect of food approved polymer on the erosion potential of drinks. J Dent 2007;35:541-6.
22. Asmawati, Rieuwpassa IE. Comparison of enamel hardness after the application of dental bleaching agents strawberry gel and 10% carbamide peroxide. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2018;3:17-9.
23. Oshiro M, Yamaguchi K, Takamizawa T, Inage H, Watanabe T. Effect of CPP-ACP paste on tooth mineralization: an FE-SEM study. J Oral Sci 2007;49:115-20.
24. Somasundaram P, Vimala N, Mandke LG. Protective potential of casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium phosphate-containing paste on enamel surfaces. J Conserv Dent 2013;16:152-6.
25. Ceci M, Mirando M, Beltrami R, Chiesa M, Poggio C. Protective effect of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate on enamel erosion: atomic force microscopy studies. Scanning 2015;37:1-8.
26. Dizaj SM, Jalali MB, Zarrintan MH, Adibkia K, Lotfipour F. Calcium carbonate nanoparticles; potential in bone and tooth disorders. Pharm Sci 2015;20:175-82.
27. Reema SD, Lahiri PK, Roy SS. Review of casein phosphopeptides amorphous calcium phosphate. Chin J Dent Res 2014;17:7-14.
28. Pepla E, Besharat LK, Palaia G. Nano-hydroxyapatite and its applications in preventive, restorative and regenerative dentistry: a review of literature. Ann Stomatol 2014;V:108-14.
29. Ebadifar A, Nomani M, Fatemi SA. Effect of nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste on microhardness of artificial carious lesions created on extracted teeth. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 2017;11:14-7.
30. Porcelli HB, Maeda FA, Silva BR, Miranda WG, Cardoso PE. Remineralizing agents: effects on acid-softened enamel. Gen Dent 2014;63:73-6.
31. Sharma A, Rao A, Shenoy R, Suprabha BS. Comparative evaluation of nano-hydroxyapatite and casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate on the remineralization potential of early enamel lesions: an in vitro study. J Orofacial Sci 2017;9:28-33.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.