THE EFFECT OF SNAKEFRUIT EXTRACT (SALACCA ZALACCA) IN INHIBITING THE RELEASE OF CHROMIUM (Cr) AND NICKEL (Ni) ION FROM STAINLESS STEEL ORTHODONTIC WIRE TO SALIVA
Objective: People are not yet aware of the risk of using orthodontic appliances. It may cause corrosion in the mouth due to the metal ions released that can compromise the human body. Snake fruit seeds containing cellulose and antioxidants could inhibit the corrosion process. The aim of this study was to determine the effect snake fruit extract (Salacca zalacca) in inhibiting the release of chromium (Cr) and nickel (Ni) ions from stainless steel orthodontic wire to saliva.
Methods: This study used an experimental laboratory study with post-test control group design and stainless steel orthodontic wires with a diameter of 0.42 mm. The samples were artificial saliva that divided into 2 groups, one group without treatment and three groups were given snake fruit extract with a concentration of 100 ppm, 300 ppm and 500 ppm, respectively. Cr and Ni ion release was measured using Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry. The collected data were then analyzed using computer software.
Results: The results showed that Cr ion release value in the control group was the lowest while in the treated group with a concentration of 100 ppm, and 500 ppm were the same. The Ni ions release in the treated group, with a concentration of 300 ppm showed the lowest value.
Conclusion: This study concluded that Snakefruit seeds extract effectively inhibits the Ni ions release from stainless steel orthodontic wire at a concentration of 300 ppm.
2. Jura CO, Tendean LEN, Anindita PS. Number of chromium ions (Cr) and nickel (Ni) orthodontic stainless steel wire discharged in saliva immersion. J E-Tooth; 2015. p. 3.
3. Lombok CG, Anindita PS, Juliatri. Test the release of nickel and chromium ions on some stainless steel brackets immersed in seawater. E-Dent J 2016;4:28-32.
4. Neamah ZT. Nickel and chromium levels in saliva of patients with fixed orthodontic appliances. Med J Babylon 2014;11:557-66.
5. Abdelkarim A, Jerrold L. Risk management strategies in orthodontics. Am J Orthodont Dentofac Orthoped 2015;148:511-4.
6. Minanga MA, Anindita PS, Juliatri. The release of nickel ions and chromium orthodontic stainless steel brackets are immersed in mouthwash. Pharm Sci J 2016;5:135-41.
7. Fitri A, Andriani M, Sudarman A, Toharmat T, Yonekura L. Screening of antioxidant activities and their bioavailability of tropical fruit byproducts from Indonesia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:95-100.
8. Karta IW, Susila LANKE, Mastra IN, Dikta PGA. Nutritional content of salak seed coffee (salacca zalacca) production of farmer group abian salak sibetan village which has potential as local food product berantioksidan and competitive. Virigin J 2015;1:123-33.
9. Mantiri SC, Wowor VNS, Anindita PS. The status of oral hygiene and dental caries status of student students of the fixed orthodontic appliance; 2013. p. 1-7.
10. Galag CJR, Anandita PSA, Waworuntu O. Oral hygiene status on fixed orthodontic appliance users based on oral hygiene index simplified at SMAN 1 Manado. E-Dent J 2015;3:298-301.
11. Hussain S. Textbook of dental material. 1th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2004. p. 298-9.
12. Thamer MR, Al-Joubri SK. The effect of acidity levels on the orthodontics appliances at different time intervals (an in vitro study). J Bagh Coll Dentist 2015;27:168-74.
13. Indrayani NL. Study the effect of water hyacinth as a corrosion inhibitor for SS400 steel pipes in the water environment. Sci J Teknik Mesin 2016;4:47-56.
14. Castro SM, Ponces MJ, JD Lopes, Vasconcelos M, Pollman MCF. Orthodontics wire and its corrosio-the spesific case of stainless steel and beta-titanium. J Dent Sci 2015;10:1-7.
15. Arab S, Cham MH, Morsaghian M, Ghamari M, Mortezai O. Evaluation of nickel and chromium release from stainless steel, hant and niti archwire in two 28-day time spans. Iran J Ortho 2015;10:1-4.
16. Navarro ECG, Alexis DM, Ulises C, Carlos GJ. Effect of different salivary pH on the surface and roughness of different orthodontic wire. J Res Dentist 2014;2:528-36.
17. Machfudzah PA, Amin MN, Princess of LSD. Effectivity of belimbing wuluh leaves extract as a corrosion inhibitor material on nickelite-based orthodontic wire. Scient Article Student Res Results; 2014.
18. Leonarto MN, Habar EH. The impact of mouth-rinsing using chlorhexidine gluconate 0.2% to the amount of plaque-causing bacteria colonies in fixed orthodontic users. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2:91-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.