PERIODONTAL DISEASE ASSOCIATED WITH CORTICOSTEROID IN ASTHMA PATIENTS-A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW
To observe the changed in periodontal disease in asthma patients using corticosteroid drugs. Electronic searches on Wiley, Pubmed, and Cochrane were conducted to identify articles published in dental journals from January 2004 to December 2017 focusing on the effects of corticosteroid use in asthma patients. Manual searches of published full-text articles and related articles were performed afterwards. Of the 73 studies that explain this, only 3 studies were compatible with the inclusion criteria. The initial database search produced 195 articles. All articles were selected for full-text review. There were 3 studies selected for inclusion, with 97.837 patients as subjects. Most studies were using inhaled corticosteroids in addition to the use of systemic corticosteroid drugs, and antihistamines. One studies mention that there no evidence of association been asthma and periodontal disease from the adolescent population. Corticosteroids are used in the treatment of asthma diseases, but the use of corticosteroid drugs, especially with inhaled methods, increases the risk of periodontal disease compared to patients who do not use corticosteroid drugs.
2. Shen TC, Chang PY, Lin CL. Risk of periodontal disease in patients with asthma: a nationwide population-based retrospective cohort study. J Periodontol 2017;88:723-30.
3. Thomas MS, Parolia A, Kundabala M, Vikram M. Asthma and oral health: a review. Aust Dent J 2010;55:128-33.
4. Stenssons M, Kari Wendt L, Koch G, Oldaeus G, Ramberg P, Birkhed D. Oral health in young adults with long-term, controlled asthma. Int J Paediatr Dent 2011;69:158-64.
5. Stenssons M, Wendt LK, Koch G, Oldaeus G, Birkhed D. Oral health in preschool children with asthma. Int J Paediatr Dent 2008;18:243-50.
6. Komerik N, Akkaya A, Yildiz M, Buyukkaplan US, Kuru L. Oral health in patients on inhaled corticosteroid treatment. Oral Dis 2005;11:303-8.
7. Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gotzsche PC, Ioannidis JP, et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. Br Med J 2009;339:b2700.
8. Wallace BC, Kuiper J, Sharma A, Zhu MB, Marshall LJ. Extracting PICO sentences from clinical trial reports using distant supervised supervision. J Mach Learn Res 2016;17:1-25.
9. Shulman JD, Nunn ME, Taylor SE, Hidalgo FR. The prevalence of periodontal-related changes in adolescents with asthma: results of the third annual national health and nutrition examination survey. Pediatr Dent 2003;25:279-84.
10. Shashikiran ND, Reddy VV, Raju PK. Effect of antiasthmatic medication on dental disease: dental caries and periodontal disease. J Indian Soc Pedo Prev Dent 2007;25:65-8.
11. Eloot AK, Vanobbergen JN, Baets FD, Martens LC. Oral health and habits in children with asthma-related to severity and duration of the condition. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2004;5:210-5.
12. Djais AI, Tope VY. Effectiveness of siwak salvadora persica extract to aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans as one of pathogenic bacteria causing periodontal disease. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2:35-9.
13. Hyppa T. Gingival IgE and histamine concentrations in patients with asthma and in patients with periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 1984;11:132-7.
14. Karl L, Hakamima. Asthma and oral health: a clinical and epidemiological study. Acta Electronica Universitas Tamperensis; 2002. p. 193.
15. Wotman S, Mercadente J, Mandel ID, Goldman RS, Denning C. The occurrence of calculus in normal children, children with cystic fibrosis and children with asthma. J Periodontol 1973;44:278-80.
16. Lenander Lumikari M, Laurikainen K, Kuusisto P, Vilja P. Stimulated salivary flow rate and composition in asthmatic and non-asthmatic adults. Arch Oral Biol 1998;43:151-6.
17. Santos NC, Jamelli S, Costa L, Filho CB, Medeiros D, Rizzo JA, et al. Assessing caries, dental plaque and salivary flow in asthmatic adolescent using inhaled corticosteroid. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 2012;40:220-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.