DEVELOPMENT AND IN VITRO EVALUATION OF PHYTOSOME OF TERBINAFINE HYDROCHLORIDE FOR ORAL DRUG DELIVERY
Objective: The purpose of this study was to develop and in vitro evaluation phytosome of terbinafine HCL to enhance the bioavailability for oral route.
Methods: The novel phytosome of terbinafine hydrochloride (TFH) was formulated with the molar ratio (1:2) of drug and phospholipid by using solvent evaporation technique. The resulting TFH-PC was determined by means of particle size analyzer (PSA), percentage yield, microscopy, drug content, transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Substantial contact of terbinafine HCL with phospholipids was completed through Fourier transforms infrared spectroscopy (FTIR).
Results: The all relevant results of TFH-PC were showed that the percentage entrapment efficiency of formulation was found in 76% to 90%. In vitro release data were exhibited approximately 65% to 79% of the drug released from the TFH-PC formulation by using dialysis membrane technique. Therefore, Formulation (F3) was accomplished that phytosome contain the superior physical characters and compatibility with drug and phospholipids than to make it easy to overcome the competence of drug to pass the lipid-rich bio-membrane.
Conclusion: In present work, terbinafine loaded phytosome was formulated for increasing the oral bioavailability of selected drug. Hence, TER-HCL phytosome were effectively improved the absorption of drug in form of phospholipids complex.
2. Awasthi R, Kulkarni GT, Pawar VK. Phytosomes: an approach to increase the bioavailability of plant extracts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:1-3.
3. Jain N, Gupta BP, Thakur N, Jain R, Banweer J, Jain DK, et al. Phytosome: a novel drug delivery system for herbal medicine. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2010;2:224-8.
4. Keshwani B, Sharma D, Chatterjee A, Jaimini M. Phytosomes: a promising system of herbal drug delivery. J Chem Pharm Res 2016;8:804-8.
5. Bagade OM, Khade A, Tathe R, Dhamale M, Sable M. Phytosome: a novel drug delivery system in the middle of improved bioavailability. Int J Pharm Drug Anal 2017;5:411-8.
6. Amin T, Bhat SV. A review on phytosome technology as a novel approach to improve the bioavailability of nutraceuticals. Int J Adv Res Technol 2012;1:1-5.
7. Kidd PM. Bioavailability and activity of phytosome complexes from botanical polyphenols: the silymarin, curcumin, green tea, and grape seed extracts. Altern Med Rev 2009;14:226-46.
8. Bhattacharjee Abhishek. An overview on phytosome as a novel drug delivery system for herbal drugs. Int J Inno Pharm Sci Res 2015;3:730-9.
9. Debnath S, Kumar GV, Satyanarayana SV. Preparation and evaluation of solid dispersion of terbinafine hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Tech 2013;3:9-15.
10. Cardoso SG, Schapoval EE. Microbiological assay for terbinafine hydrochloride in tablets and creams. Int J Pharm 2000;1:109-13.
11. Kanakapura B, Penmatsa VK. Analytical methods for determination of terbinafine hydrochloride in pharmaceuticals and biological materials. J Pharm Anal 2016;6:137-49.
12. Katore GS, Bidkar SJ, Dama GY. Formulation and evaluation of ciprofloxacin solid dispersion controlled release floating capsules for solubility improvement. Indian J Pharm Bio Res 2017;5:7-16.
13. Kesharwani R, Ansari MS, Patel DK. Novel technology used in the preformulation study. J Drug Del Ther 2017;7:20-33.
14. Mali B, Moharil SN, Mhasal V, Narkhede MB. Drug-excipient interaction study of tramadol Hcl with polymers. World J Pharm Res 2017;6:848-61.
15. Mund AK, Abhinasa C, Singh RP, Kishore K, Pangi BP, Pasayat MK, et al. Preparation and characterization of phytosome of Norbixin. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;8:1045-57.
16. Amudha S. Prabal Kumar Manna PK, Jeganathan NS. Formulation and evaluation of capsules of syzygium cumini phytosomes. J Pharm Sci Innovation 2018;7:70-8.
17. Pandey S, Goyani M, Devmurari V. Transferosomes: a novel approach for transdermal drug delivery. Schol Res Lib 2009;1:143-50.
18. Ittadwar PA, Puranik PK. Novel umbelliferone phytosomes: development and optimization using experimental design approach and evaluation of photo-protective and antioxidant activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:218-28.
19. Jeevana JB, Ragalatha MP. Development and in vitro evaluation of phytosomes of naringin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:252-6.
20. Varde NM, Mehta NK, Thakor NM, Shah VA, Upadhyay UM. Phytosomes: a potential phospholipid nanoparticulate carrier for the bioavailability enhancement of herbal extracts. Int J Comp Pharm 2012;3:1-7.
21. Zhang F, Koh GY, Jeansonne DP, Hollingsworth J, Russo PS, Vicente G, et al. A novel solubility enhanced curcumin formulation showing stability and maintenance of anticancer activity. J Pharm Sci 2011;100:2778-89.
22. Xie J, Li Y, Song L, Pan Z, Ye S, Hou Z. Design of a novel curcumin-soybean phosphatidylcholine complex-based targeted drug delivery systems. Drug Delivery 2017;24:707-19.
23. Raj RA, Nair S, Harindran J. Formulation and evaluation of cyclodextrin inclusion complex tablets of carvedilol. Asian J Pharm 2016;10:84-94.
24. Pal P, Mishra SD. Formulation development and evaluation of antifungal proniosomal gel for topical application. World J Pharm Res 2017;6:656-74.
25. Dewangan A. Development and evaluation of terbinafine hydrochloride for tablet formulation. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2013;1:36-52.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.