ROLE OF NANOEMULSION FOR SAFE AND COST-EFFECTIVE DELIVERY OF AMPHOTERICIN B
Amphotericin B is a highly effective antifungal agent and its use has been surged drastically due to its effectiveness against a wide range of fungal infections. It is effective against both topical and systemic infections and even this is the only drug having high efficacy against Leishmania, Candida, Aspergillus and many more. Owing to this, the demand of Amphotericin B is gaining momentum. However, this drug possesses numerous drawbacks like toxicity, poor solubility to name a few, due to which its current use is dwindling. So far the numbers of formulations have been marketed in order to triumph over its toxicity and solubility related issues. Unfortunately, no single study conducted hitherto gain success in overcoming its lethal ramifications. Among all formulations, nanoemulsions are at the top to combat all issues related to this drug. Nanoemulsion has shown enhanced stability, reduced cost and toxicity. This review will assimilate complete information on the use of nanoemulsion based formulations of Amphotericin B, its developed formulations and also will enunciate the important considerations and future perspectives. The complete data have been composed from Google Scholar, ScienceDirect and PubMed using the following keywords.
2. Pal M. Morbidity and mortality due to fungal infections. J Appl Micro Biochem 2018;1:1-3.
3. Kyle AA, Dahl MV. Topical therapy for fungal infections. Am J Clin Dermatol 2004;5:443-51.
4. Kaur L, Jain SK, Singh K. Vitamin E TPGS based nanogel for skin targeting of high molecular weight anti-fungal drug: development, in vitro and in vivo assessment. RSC Adv 2015;5:53671-86.
5. Brajtburg J, Bolard J. Carrier effects on biological activity of amphotericin b. Clin Microbiol Rev 1996;9:512-31.
6. Hussain A, Samad A, Singh SK, Ahsan MN, Haque MW, Faruk A, et al. Nanoemulsion gel-based topical delivery of an antifungal drug: in vitro activity and in vivo evaluation. Drug Delivery 2016;23:642-7.
7. Kaur G, Singh SK. Review of nanoemulsion formulation and characterization techniques. Indian J Pharms Sci 2018;80:781-9.
8. Mishra RK, Soni GC, Mishra RP. A review article: on nanoemulsion. World J Pharm Pharm 2014;3:258-74.
9. Rinaldi F, Hanieh PN, Longhi C, Carradori S, Secci D, Zengin G, et al. Neem oil nanoemulsions: characterisation and antioxidant activity. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 2017;32:1265–73.
10. Nikam T, Patil M, Patil S, Vadnere G, Lodhi S. Nanoemulsion: a brief review on development and application in parenteral drug delivery. Adv Pharm J 2018;3:43-54.
11. Savardekar P, Bajaj A. Nanoemulsions-a review. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2016;6:312-22.
12. Zeng L, Liu Y, Pan J, Liu X. Formulation and evaluation of norcanthridin nanoemulsions against the Plutella xylostella (Lepidotera: Plutellidae). BMC Biotechnol 2019;19:1-11.
13. Gaba B, Khan T, Haider MF, Alam T, Baboota S, Parvez S, et al. Vitamin e loaded naringenin nanoemulsion via intranasal delivery for the management of oxidative stress in a 6-OHDA parkinson’s disease model. BioMed Res Int 2019;2019:1-20.
14. Rodrigues FVS, Diniz LS, Sousa RMG, Honorato TD, Simaoa DO, Araujo CRM, et al. Preparation and characterization of nanoemulsion containing a natural naphthoquinone. Quim Nova 2018;41:756-61.
15. Suminar MM, Jufri M. Physical stability and antioxidant activity assay of a nanoemulsion gel formulation containing tocotrienol. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:140-3.
16. Ahmad N, Ahmad R, Naqv AA, Alam MA, Ashafaq M, Abdur Rub R, et al. Intranasal delivery of quercetin-loaded mucoadhesive nanoemulsion for treatment of cerebral ischaemia. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 2018;46:712-29.
17. Suyal J, Bhatt G, Singh N. Formulation and evaluation of nanoemulsion for enhanced bioavailability of Itraconazole. Int J Pharm Res 2018;9:2927-31.
18. Periasamy VS, Athinarayanan J, Alshatwi AA. Anticancer activity of an ultrasonic nanoemulsion formulation of Nigella sativa L. essential oil on human breast cancer cells. Ultrason Sonochem 2016;31:449–55.
19. Ragelle H, Crauste Manciet S, Seguin J, Brossard D, Scherman D, Arnaud P, et al. Nanoemulsion formulation of Fisetin improves bioavailability and antitumour activity in mice. Int J Pharm 2012;427:452–9.
20. Ganta S, Devalapally H, Amiji M. Curcumin enhances oral bioavailability and anti-tumor therapeutic efficacy of paclitaxel upon administration in nanoemulsion formulation. J Pharm 2010;99:4630–41.
21. Drais HK, Hussein AA. Formulation and characterization of carvedilol nanoemulsion oral liquid dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:209-16.
22. Shakeel F, Ramadan W. Transdermal delivery of anticancer drug caffeine from water-in-oil nanoemulsions. Colloids Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2010;75:356-62.
23. Kumar M, Misra A, Pathak K. Formulation and characterization of nanoemulsion of olanzapine for intranasal delivery. PDA J Pharm Technol 2009;63:501-11.
24. Shafiq S, Shakeel F, Talegaonkar S, Ahmad FJ, Khar RK, Ali M. Development and bioavailability assessment of Ramipril nanoemulsion formulation. Europe J Pharm Biopharm 2007;66:227-43.
25. Morsi MM, Mohamed MI, Refai H, El Sorogy HM. Nanoemulsion as a novel ophthalmic delivery system for acetazolamide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:227-36.
26. Keck CM, Jansch M, Müller RH. Protein adsorption patterns and analysis on IV nanoemulsions—the key factor determining the organ distribution. Pharmaceutics 2013;5:36-68.
27. Santos CM, Oliveria RB, Arantes VTI. Amphotericin b-loaded nanocarriers for topical treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis: development, characterization, and in vitro skin permeation studies. J Biomed Nanotech 2012;8:322-9.
28. Hussain A, Samad A, Nazish I, Ahmed FJ. Nanocarrier-based topical drug delivery for an antifungal drug. J Drug Dev Ind 2014;40:527-41.
29. Mattos CB, Argenta DF, Melchiades GL, Cordeiro MNS, Tonini ML, Moraes MH, et al. Nanoemulsions containing a synthetic chalcone as an alternative for treating cutaneous leshmaniasis: optimization using a full factorial design. Int J Nanomed 2015;10:5529–42.
30. Hussain A, Singh VK, Singh OP, Shafaat K, Kumar S, Ahmad FJ. Formulation and optimization of nanoemulsion using antifungal lipid and surfactant for accentuated topical delivery of Amphotericin B. Drug Delivery 2016;23:3101-10.
31. Sosa L, Clares B, Alvarado HL, Bozal N, Domenech O, Calpena AC. Amphotericin B releasing topical nanoemulsion for the treatment of candidiasis and aspergillosis. Nanomedicine 2017;13:2303-12.
32. Hussain A, Singh S, Webster TJ, Ahmad FJ. New perspectives in the topical delivery of optimized amphotericin b loaded nanoemulsions using excipients with innate anti-fungal activities: a mechanistic and histopathological investigation. Nanomed: Nanotech Biol Med 2017;13:1117-26.
33. Nasr M, Nawaz S, Elhissi A. Amphotericin B lipid nanoemulsion aerosols for targeting peripheral respiratory airways via nebulization. Int J Pharm 2012;436:611-6.
34. Fukui H, Koike T, Saheki A. A novel delivery system for amphotericin B with lipid nano-sphere (LNS®). Int J Pharm 2003;265:37-45.
35. Asthana S, Jaiswal AK, Gupta PK, Pawar VK, Dube A, Chourasia MK. Immunoadjuvant chemotherapy of visceral leishmaniasis in hamsters using amphotericin b-encapsulated nanoemulsion template-based chitosan nanocapsules. Antimicrob Agents Chem 2013;57:1714-22.
36. Caldeira LR, Fernandes FR, Costa DF, Frezard F, Afonso LCC, Ferreiraa LAM. Nanoemulsions loaded with amphotericin b: a new approach for the treatment of leishmaniasis. Eur J Pharm 2015;70:125-31.
37. Santos DCM, Souza MLS, Teixeira EM, Alves LL, Vilela JMC, Andrade M, et al. A new nanoemulsion formulation improves antileishmanial activity and reduces toxicity of amphotericin B. J Drug Target 2018;26:357-64.
38. Laborin RL, Cabrales Vargas MN. Amphotericin b: side effects and toxicity. Rev Iberoam Micol 2009;26:223–7.
39. Gulati M, Bajad S, Singh S, Ferdous AJ, Singh M. Development of liposomal amphotericin B formulation. J Microencapsulation 1998;15:137-51.
40. Kagan S, Ickowicz D, Shmuel M, Altschuler Y, Sionov E, Pitusi M, et al. Toxicity mechanisms of amphotericin b and its neutralization by conjugation with arabinogalactan. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012;56:5603-11.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.