CURRENT STATUS, CHALLENGES AND PREVENTIVE STRATEGIES TO OVERCOME DATA INTEGRITY ISSUES IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY
The pharmaceutical industry is currently one of the most dynamic among all industries. At present, it is striking with various compliance challenges like never before there is increased regulation, acquisitions, push toward harmonization and endemic in a Data Integrity (DI) concern. DI weakness is identified, either as a result of an audit or a regulatory inspection, companies with multiple sites should ensure that appropriate corrective and preventive actions are implemented across the organizations and appropriate notification to regulatory authorities should be made wherever applicable. The objective of the study carries the number of issues involved within data integrity in current GMP aspects, the root causes were addressed based on warning letters. This review intends to study the concept of data integrity holistically in all aspects, regulatory expectations and to evaluate the state of compliance and challenges that explore to suggest appropriate remedial and proactive measures to avoid DI issues. There were many challenges involved to overcome the issues which are all about the one's handling by maintaining good documentation practice. The importance, strategies and recommendations were discussed to overcome from the repeated data integrity mistakes.
2. S., L. M & N. V. Gupta. “Quality management system in change control at industry level: an overview”. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Vol. 7, no. 5, Apr. 2015. pp. 13-19, Available from: https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ijpps/article/view/4782.
3. Agarwal, P., & Mishra, A. Pharmaceutical quality audits: a review. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2019;11(1), 14-22. Available from: https://doi.org/10.22159/ijap.2019v11i1.29709.
4. Alamelu R, Amudha R et al., Pharma export: comforts and confronts in India. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2016. Vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 24-26. Available from: https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ajpcr/article/view/11569.
5. M.N. Raviteja, N. Vishal gupta. A review on electronic data management in pharmaceutical industry. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. Vol. 6, Suppl. 2, 2013.
6. Koshechkin K, Lebedev G, Tikhonova J. Regulatory Information Management Systems, as a Means for Ensuring the Pharmaceutical Data Continuity and Risk Management. Intelligent Decision Technologies. 2019. Vol.142. pp 265-274.
7. Barbara W. Unger. Data integrity and data management for GXP regulated firms. 2016. Available from: https://ungerconsulting.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Data-Integrity-White-Paper-BLOG.pdf.
8. Valentin Steinwandter, Christoph Herwig. Provable Data Integrity in the Pharmaceutical Industry Based on Version Control Systems and the Block chain. PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology. 2019; 73 (4) 373-390. DOI: 10.5731/pdajpst.2018.009407
9. Kumar S, Tanwar D, Arora N. The role of regulatory GMP audit in pharmaceutical companies. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci. 2013; 2:493-8.
10. Bhatia K. Current scenario and future challenges in pharma segment. January, 2014. Available from: http://www.pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=79940&sid=9.
11. Kumar S, Tanwar D, Arora N. The role of regulatory GMP audit in pharmaceutical companies. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci. 2013; 2:493-8.
12. Rohit A. Patil & Shruti N.Patil. Data Integrity and Worldwide Regulatory Guidance. Pharma Tutor. Print-ISSN: 2394 - 6679; e-ISSN: 2347 - 7881). 2016; Vol. 4, Issue 5.
13. P.Kiruba Rachel & N.Vishal Gupta. Data integrity – Regulations and current scenario. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res. 2017;43(1);16-22.
14. Abhishek Kumar Pandey et al., Key Issues in Healthcare Data Integrity: Analysis and Recommendations. IEE Xplore. 2020; 40612 - 40628; Volume 8; DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2976687.
15. Joanna Gallant. Identifying and Preventing Common Data Integrity Issues. 2016; Available from: https://www.mastercontrol.com/gxp-lifeline/identifying-and-preventing-common-data-integrity-issues.
16. Jill Wechsler. Data Integrity Key to GMP Compliance, Pharmaceutical Technology. 2014; Volume 38; Issue 8. Available from: http://www.pharmtech.com/print/262305?page=full
17. Grant. Ensuring Data Integrity through ALCOA. Available from: https://www.pharmout.net/data-integrity-alcoa/.
18. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Form 483 Frequently Asked Questions. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/iceci/inspections/ucm256377.htm (2017).
19. Rattan A.K. Data integrity: History, issues, and remediation of issues. PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology. 2018. 72 (2), pp.105-116. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5731/pdajpst.2017.007765.
20. David Churchward. Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) data integrity: a new look at an old topic, part 1. 2015; Available from: https://mhrainspectorate.blog.gov.uk/2015/06/25/good-manufacturing-practice-gmp-data-integrity-a-new-look-at-an-old-topic-part-1/.
21. Anil K. Rattan. Data Integrity: History, Issues, and Remediation of Issues, PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology. 2018; 72 (2) 105-116. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5731/pdajpst.2017.007765
22. Paul Smith. Data Integrity in the Analytical Laboratory. Pharmaceutical Technology. 2014; Vol. 38, Issue 5. Available from: http://www.pharmtech.com/data-integrity-analytical-laboratory.
23. Valentin Steinwandter & Christoph Herwig. Provable Data Integrity in the Pharmaceutical Industry Based on Version Control Systems and the Blockchain. PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology. 2019;73 (4) 373-390. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5731/pdajpst.2018.009407.
24. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Data Integrity and Compliance with Drug CGMP Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry. 2018. Available from: https ://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs /guidances/ucm49 5891.pdf .
25. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. ‘GXP’ Data Integrity Guidance and Definitions. 2018. Available from: https ://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/ uploads/system/uploads/attachment data/file/68724 6/MHRA_GxP data_integrity guide March edited Final.pdf.
26. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. What does FDA inspect? https ://www.fda.gov/about fda/transparency/basics/ucm194888.htm (2018). Accessed 13 Mar 2019.
27. Bramstedt KA. A study of warning letters issued to clinical investigators by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Clin Investig Med. 2004;27(3):129–34.
28. Gogtay NJ, Doshi BM, Kannan S, Thatte U. A study of warning letters issued to clinical investigators and institutional review boards by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Indian J Med Ethics. 2011; 8(4):211–4.
29. Saiyed AA, Shetty YC. Analysis of warning letters issued by the US Food and Drug Administration to clinical investigators, institutional review boards and sponsors: a retrospective study. J Med Ethics. 2015; 41(5):398–403.
30. Garmendia CA, Bhansali N, Madhivanan P. Research misconduct in FDA-regulated clinical trials: a cross-sectional analysis of warning letters and disqualification proceedings. Ther Innov Regul Sci. 2018; 52(5):592–605.
31. Ni A. Khin et al., Data Integrity in Global Clinical Trials: Discussions from Joint US Food and Drug Administration and UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency Good Clinical Practice Workshop. Clinical pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/cpt.1794.
32. R.D. McDowall. Are You Controlling Peak Integration to Ensure Data Integrity? LCGC Journal. 2020. Vol. 38, Issue 6, pg 346–354.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.