CURRENT STATUS, CHALLENGES AND PREVENTIVE STRATEGIES TO OVERCOME DATA INTEGRITY ISSUES IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY
The pharmaceutical industry is currently one of the most dynamic among all industries. At present, it is striking with various compliance challenges like never before there is increased regulation, acquisitions, push toward harmonization and endemic in a Data Integrity (DI) concern. DI weakness is identified, either as a result of an audit or a regulatory inspection, companies with multiple sites should ensure that appropriate corrective and preventive actions are implemented across the organizations and appropriate notification to regulatory authorities should be made wherever applicable. The objective of the study carries the number of issues involved within data integrity in current GMP aspects, the root causes were addressed based on warning letters. This review intends to study the concept of data integrity holistically in all aspects, regulatory expectations and to evaluate the state of compliance and challenges that explore to suggest appropriate remedial and proactive measures to avoid DI issues. There were many challenges involved to overcome the issues, which are all about the one's handling by maintaining good documentation practice. The importance, strategies and recommendations were discussed to overcome from the repeated data integrity mistakes.
This review was carried out by systematic searches of data integrity in relevant guidelines, published articles, reviews and abstracts in Google scholar, Pubmed, Science direct, Embase, Web of science, Cochrane database of systematic reviews of articles up to March 2020. The keywords used for gathering information were listed below.
2. SLM, Gupta NV. Quality management system in change control at industry level: an overview. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:13-9.
3. Agarwal P, Mishra A. Pharmaceutical quality audits a review. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:14-22.
4. Alamelu R, Amudha R. Pharma export: comforts and confronts in India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:24-6.
5. MN Raviteja, N Vishal Gupta. A review on electronic data management in pharmaceutical industry. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6 Suppl 2:S38-42.
6. Koshechkin K, Lebedev G, Tikhonova J. Regulatory information management systems, as a means for ensuring the pharmaceutical data continuity and risk management. Intelligent Decision Technol 2019;14:265-74.
7. Wen MM, Aref H, Abozaid A, Kandil NH, Elsobky YH. Quality evaluation and survey of the essential need for drug information centers. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:137-43.
8. Valentin Steinwandter, Christoph Herwig. Provable data integrity in the pharmaceutical industry based on version control systems and the blockchain. PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 2019;73:373-90.
9. Kumar S, Tanwar D, Arora N. The role of regulatory GMP audit in pharmaceutical companies. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2013;2:493-8.
10. Bhatia K. Current scenario and future challenges in pharma segment; 2014. Available from: http://www.pharmabiz.com/ NewsDetails.aspx?aid=79940andsid=9. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020]
11. Anu Linna, Mirka Korhonen, Marja Airaksinen, Anne Mari Juppo. Experiences of using the GMP audit preparation tool in pharmaceutical contract manufacturer audits. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2010;36:632-7.
12. Rohit A Patil, Shruti N Patil. Data integrity and worldwide regulatory guidance. Pharma Tutor 2016;4:20-4.
13. P Kiruba Rachel, N Vishal Gupta. Data integrity-regulations and current scenario. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2017;43:16-22.
14. Abhishek Kumar Pandey, Asif Irshad Khan. Key issues in healthcare data integrity: analysis and recommendations. IEE Xplore 2020;8:40612-28.
15. Joanna Gallant. Identifying and preventing common data integrity issues; 2016. Available from: https://www.mastercontrol.com/gxp-lifeline/identifying-and-preventing-common-data-integrity-issues. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020]
16. Jill Wechsler. Data integrity key to GMP compliance. Pharma Technol 2014;38:1-2.
17. Grant. Ensuring Data Integrity through ALCOA. Pharmout; 2016. Available from: https://www.pharmout.net/data-integrity-alcoa/. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020].
18. U.S. Food and drug administration. FDA Form 483 Frequently Asked Questions; 2017. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/ iceci/inspections/ucm256377.htm. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020].
19. Rattan AK. Data integrity: History, issues, and remediation of issues. PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 2018;72:105-16.
20. David Churchward. Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) data integrity: a new look at an old topic, part 1; 2015. Available from: https://mhrainspectorate.blog.gov.uk/2015/06/25/ good-manufacturing-practice-gmp-data-integrity-a-new-look-at-an-old-topic-part-1/. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020]
21. Anil K Rattan. Data integrity: history, issues, and remediation of issues. PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 2018;72:105-16.
22. Paul Smith. Data integrity in the analytical laboratory. Pharm Technol 2014;38:2-4.
23. Valentin Steinwandter, Christoph Herwig. Provable Data integrity in the pharmaceutical industry based on version control systems and the blockchain. PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 2019;73:373-90.
24. U.S. Food and drug administration. data integrity and compliance with drug CGMP questions and answers guidance for industry; 2018. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/ downloads/drugs/guidances/ucm495891.pdf. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020]
25. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. GXP Data Integrity Guidance and Definitions; 2018. Available from: https://assets.publishing.service. gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachmentdata/file/68724 6/MHRA_GxPdata_integrityguideMarchedited Final.pdf. [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020]
26. Vignesh M, Ganesh GNK. Fixed-dose combinations banned in an india-a review. J Pharm Sci Res 2020;12:987-91.
27. Bramstedt KA. A study of warning letters issued to clinical investigators by the United States food and drug administration. Clin Investigative Med 2004;27:129-34.
28. Gogtay NJ, Doshi BM, Kannan S, Thatte U. A study of warning letters issued to clinical investigators and institutional review boards by the United States food and drug administration. Indian J Med Ethics 2011;8:211-4.
29. Saiyed AA, Shetty YC. Analysis of warning letters issued by the US Food and drug administration to clinical investigators, institutional review boards and sponsors: a retrospective study. J Med Ethics 2015;41:398-403.
30. Garmendia CA, Bhansali N, Madhivanan P. Research misconduct in FDA-regulated clinical trials: a cross-sectional analysis of warning letters and disqualification proceedings. Ther Innovation Regulatory Sci 2018;52:592-605.
31. Ni A Khin, Gail Francis, Jean Mulinde. Data integrity in global clinical trials: discussions from joint us food and drug administration and uk medicines and healthcare products regulatory agency good clinical practice workshop. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2020;107:1-15.
32. RD McDowall. Are you controlling peak integration to ensure data integrity? LCGC Europe 2020;38:346-54.
33. Bhuvaneswari VS, Chandan RS. Review on safety assessment of a cosmetic product. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:1-6.
34. B Kapre Varad, SK Sekar. Quality analysis and quality control in building construction with six sigma approach. J Crit Rev 2020;7:412-8.
35. Ronald L Deffenbeugh. Total quality management at construction jobsites. J Management Eng 2017;9:15-24.
36. E Sweetline Priya, G Suseendran. Cloud computing and big data: a comprehensive analysis. J Crit Rev 2020;7:185-9.
37. K Makesh Babu, K Mohan Kumar. Data profiling on big data using key dependencies to improve the quality of metadata. J Crit Rev 2020;7:1423-30.
38. Z Abedjan, L Golab, F Naumann. Profiling relational data: a survey. Int J Very Large Data Bases 2015;24:557-81.
39. K Ganga Devi, R Renuga Devi. Cloud data integrity security by using blockchain. J Crit Rev 2020;7:2884-7.
40. J Li, W Yao, Y Zhang, H Qian, J Han. Flexible and fine-grained attribute-based data storage in cloud computing. IEEE Transactions Services Computing 2017;10:785-96.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.