CHEMOMETRIC ASSISTED QUANTITATIVE DETERMINATION OF VITEXIN IN ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF BINAHONG (ANREDERA CORDIFOLIA (TEN.) STEENIS) LEAVES
Objective: The objective of this study was to develop a UV spectroscopy method in combination with multivariate analysis for determining vitexin in binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves extract.
Methods: The partial least square (PLS) regression and the principal component regression (PCR) was performed in this study to evaluate several statistical performances such as coefficient of determination (R2), root mean square error of calibration (RMSEC), root mean square error of cross-validation (RMSECV), root mean square error of prediction (RMSEP) and relative error of prediction (REP). Cross-validation in this study was performed using leave one out technique.
Results: The R2 values of calibration data sets resulted from PLS and PCR method were 0.9675 and 0.9648, respectively. The low values of RMSEC and RMSECV both for PLS and PCR method indicated the minimum error of the calibration models. The R2 values of validation data sets resulted from PLS and PCR method were 0.9778 and 0.9820, respectively. The low values of RMSEP both for PLS and PCR method indicated the minimum error of prediction generated from the calibration data sets. Multivariate calibration techniques were applied to determine the content of vitexin in binahong leaves extract. Predicted values from the multivariate calibration models were compared to the actual values determined from a validated HPLC method. It was found that PLS models resulted in the lowest REP values compared to the PCR models.
Conclusion: The chemometrics technique can be applied as an alternative method for determining vitexin levels in the ethanol solution of binahong leaves extract.
2. Yulia E, Widiantini F, Purnama A, Nurhelawati I. Effectiveness of aqueous extract of binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves in suppressing colony growth and conidia germination of Colletotrichum capsici the casual agents of anthracnose disease on chili. Agrikultura 2016;27;1:16–22.
3. Sulistyarsi A, Pribadi NW. Test of antibacterial activity of leaf extract binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) on growth of bacteria Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Pharm Sci Med Res 2018;1:26–36.
4. Leliqia NPE, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Antibacterial activities of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis leaves extracts and fractions. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10;12:175–8.
5. Wijaya V, Maharani ES, Gunawan HA, Puspitawati R. The efficacy of an infusion of binahong leaves (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) against wild strain black-pigmented bacteria. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;90:28-1.
6. Kumalasari E, Sulistyani N. Antifungal activity of ethanol extract of binahong stem (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) against Candida albicans and the phytochemical screening. J Ilm Kefarmasian 2011;2:51–62.
7. Nazliniwaty, Suryanto, Damanik DD. The utilization of binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaf as an anti-aging. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11 Special Issue 1:87–9.
8. Djamil R, Winarti W, Zaidan S, Abdillah S. Antidiabetic activity of flavonoid from binahong leaves (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) extract in alloxan induced mice. J Pharmacogn Nat Prod 2017;3:1–4.
9. Miladiyah I, Prabowo BR. Ethanolic extract of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis leaves improved wound healing in Guinea pigs. Universa Med 2012;31:4–11.
10. Yuniarti WM, Lukiswanto BS. Effects of herbal ointment containing the leaf extracts of madeira vine (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) for burn wound healing process on albino rats. Vet World 2017;10:808–13.
11. Istyastono EP, Yuliani SH. Scarless wound healing gel with binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves extract and celecoxib as the active ingredients. AIP Conf Proc 2016;1755:160001.
12. Laksmitawati DR, Widyastuti A, Karimi N, Afifah E, Rihibiha DD, Nufus H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of Anredera cordifolia and Piper crocatum extracts on lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophage cell line. Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2017;12:35–40.
13. Djamil R, Wahyudi PS, Wahono S, Hanafi M. Antioxidant activity of flavonoid from Anredera cordifolia (Ten) steenis leaves. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:241–3.
14. Yuliani SH, Anggraeni CD, Sekarjati W, Panjalu A, Istyastono EP, Setiawati A. Cytotoxic activity of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis leaf extract on hela cervical cancer cells through p53-independent pathway. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:328-31.
15. Sukandar EY, Kurniati NF, Nurdianti AN. Antiobesity effect of ethanol extract of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis leaves on obese male wistar rats induced by high-carbohydrate diet. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:171-3.
16. Widyarini KD, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Xanthine oxidase inhibitory and antihyperuricemic activities of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis, Sonchus arvensis L., and its combination. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:86-90.
17. Leliqia NPE, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Overview of efficacy, safety and phytochemical study of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis. Pharmacologyonline 2017;1:124–31.
18. Mulia K, Muhammad F, Krisanti E. Extraction of vitexin from binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves using betaine-1,4 butanediol natural deep eutectic solvent (NADES). AIP Conf Proc 2017;1823:020018.
19. Sae-tan S, Saeting O. Anti-diabetic activities of vitexin and isovitexin from mung bean soup. J Nutr Food Sci 2017;7:39.
20. He M, Min JW, Kong WL, He XH, Li JX, Peng BW. A review on the pharmacological effects of vitexin and isovitexin. Fitoterapia 2016;115:74–85.
21. Wang CH, Wang YX, Liu HJ. Validation and application by HPLC for simultaneous determination of vitexin-2?-O-glucoside, vitexin-2?-O-rhamnoside, rutin, vitexin, and hyperoside. J Pharm Anal 2011;1:291–6.
22. Sagaradze VA, Babaeva EY, Kalenikova EI. HPLC-UV method for determing flavonoids in hawthorn flowers and leaves. Pharm Chem J 2017;51:277–80.
23. Yuliani SH, Fudholi A, Pramono S, Marchaban. Physical properties of wound healing gel of ethanolic extract of binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis) during storage. Indones J Pharm 2012;23:203–8.
24. Kassambara A. Machine learning essentials: practical guide in R. STHDA; 2018.
25. Mulia K, Krisanti EA, Andika G. Betain and alcohol-based deep eutectic solvents for vitexin extraction from binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves. ASEAN J Chem Eng 2018;18:1–6.
26. The United States Pharmacopeia USP 42. National Formulary. 37. Vol. 4. Rockville (MD): United States Pharmacopeia Convention; 2019. p. 6789-92.
27. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2 (R1); 1995. Available from: www.ich.org [Last accessed on 10 Jul 2020]
28. AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. 20th ed. Washington DC: Association of Official Analytical Chemists; 2016. p. 8-9.
29. Dwitiyanti, Harahap Y, Elya B, Bahtiar A. Impact of solvent on the characteristics of standardized binahong leaf (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis). Pharmacogn J 2019;11:1463–70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.