NATURE INSPIRED SYNTHESIS, PHYSICO-CHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF Zn DOPED Fe3O4 NANOPARTICLES USING ANDROGRAPHIS PANICULATA LEAF EXTRACT AND ASSESSMENT OF IN VITRO PANCREATIC ALPHA AMYLASE INHIBITORY ACTIVITY
Objective: Magnetite (Fe3O4) nanoparticles (NPs) have gained considerable attention in the Biomedical filed. Evolution of new magnetic material based on the transition metal-doped magnetite has become the subject of increasing research interest. The main aim of the current investigation was to improve the diabetic potential, optical, magnetic and structural properties of magnetite nanoparticles and hence Fe3O4 NPs was doped by divalent transition element such as Zinc.
Methods: Zinc doped magnetite nanoparticles (Zn-Fe3O4 NPs) were obtained through Co-precipitation methods using aqueous plant extract of Andrographis paniculata acted as an efficient stabilizer and a reducing agent. The structure, morphology, crystalline, optical and magnetic property of synthesized Zn- Fe3O4 NPs were evaluated by X-ray diffraction (XRD), Scanning electron microscopy with Energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy(SEM-EDX), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), Ultraviolet-Visible (UV-Vis) Spectrophotometer and Vibrating scanning magnetometer (VSM).
Results: In XRD analysis, the average crystallite size of the synthesized Zn-Fe3O4 NPs was found to be 5 nm exhibiting superparamagnetic behaviour, which composes it an appealing possibility for biomedicines. The Zn-Fe3O4 NPs had strongly inhibited the alpha (α) - amylase enzyme and had proved their therapeutic role.
Conclusion: In conclusion, Zn- Fe3O4 NPs is an excellent antidiabetic agent to control type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Keywords: Alpha-amylase, Andrographis paniculata, SEM-EDX, VSM, Zn- Fe3O4 NPs
1. Sebastian A, Nangia A, Prasad MNV. A green synthetic route to phenolics fabricated magnetite nanoparticles from coconut husk extract: Implications to treat metal contaminated water and heavy metal stress in Oryza sativa L. J Cleaner Prod 2018;174:355–366.
2. Harrison RJ, Dunin-Borkowski RE, Putnis A. Direct imaging of nanoscale magnetic interactions in minerals. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2002;99:16556–16561.
3. Teja AS, Koh PY. Synthesis, properties and applications of magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles. Prog Cryst Growth Charact Mater 2009;55:22–45.
4. Lin CR, Chu YM, Wang SC. Magnetic properties of magnetite nanoparticles prepared by mechano chemical reaction. Mater Lett 2006;60:447–450.
5. Song M, Zhang Y, Hu S, Song L, Dong J, Chen Z et al. Influence of morphology and surface exchange reaction on magnetic properties of monodisperse magnetite nanoparticle. Colloids Surf A 2012;408:114–121.
6. Lv X, Xu J, Jiang G, Tang J, Xu X. Highly active nanoscale zero-valent iron (nZVI)–F 3O4 nanocomposites for the removal of chromium(VI) from aqueous solutions. J Colloid Interface Sci 2012;369:460–469.
7. Gorski CA, Scherer MM. Influence of Magnetite Stoichiometry on Fe(II)Uptake and Nitrobenzene Reduction. Environ Sci Technol 2009;43: 3675–3680.
8. Yew, YP, Shameli K, Miyake M, Kuwano N, Ahmad Khairudin NB, Bt Mohamad S E et al. Green Synthesis of Magnetite (Fe3O4) Nanoparticles Using Seaweed (Kappaphycus alvarezii) Extract. Nanoscale Res Lett 2016; 11;1-7.
9. Gu S, Li D, Zhang L, Li J, Wang E. Monodisperse mesoporous superparamagnetic single-crystal magnetite nanoparticles for drug delivery. Biomater 2009;30:1881–1889.
10. Lu AH, Salabas EL, Schüth F. Magnetic Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Protection, Functionalization, and Application. Angew Chem Int Ed 2007;46:1222–1244.
11. Worawong A, Jutarosaga T, Onreabroy W. In?uence of calcination temperature on synthesis of magnetite (Fe3O4) nanoparticles by sol-gel method. Adv Mater Res 2014;979:208–211.
12. Azadi F, Karimi-Jashni A, Zerafat MM. Green synthesis and optimization of nano-magnetite using Persicaria bistorta root extract and its application for rosewater distillation wastewater treatment. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 2018;165:467–475.
13. Irina Vedernikova, Alla Koval, Alina Fataliyva. Thermogravimetric and structural studies of zinc-doped magnetite nanoparticles for pharmaceutical application. J Chem Pharm Res 2018;5:109-112.
14. Zhang J, Zhang C, Wei G, Li Y, Liang X, Chu W et al, Reduction removal of hexavalent chromium by zinc-substituted magnetite coupled with aqueous Fe(II) at neutral pH value. J Colloid Interface Sci 2017;500:20–29.
15. Ahmed S, Saifullah, Ahmad M, Swami BL, Ikram S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Azadirachta indica aqueous leaf extract. J Radiat Res Appl Sci 2016;9:1–7.
16. Aritonang HF, Koleangan H, Wuntu AD, Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Aqueous Extract of Medicinal Plants’ (Impatiens balsamina and Lantana camara) Fresh Leaves and Analysis of Antimicrobial Activity. Int J Microbiol 2019;1–8.
17. Jyoti Pandey, Vimal KS, Wasim Raja. Evaluation of phytochemical analysis of andrographis paniculata leaf and stem extract. World J Pharm Life Sci 2019;5:180-190.
18. Krishnaveni, K, Sakthi Athithan AS, Jeyasundari J, Jacob YBA, Renuga D. Biosynthesis and characterization of zinc doped iron oxide nanoparticles from pedalium murex and its new avenues in pharmacological applications. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2018;13:67 –74.
19. Yousefi A, Yousefi R, Panahi F, Sarikhani S, Zolghadr AR, Bahaoddini A et al. Novel curcumin-based pyrano [2,3-d]pyrimidine anti-oxidant inhibitors for ?-amylase and ?-glucosidase: Implications for their pleiotropic effects against diabetes complications. Int J Biol Macromol 2015;78:46–55.
20. Nagajothi S, Mekala P, Raja A, Raja MJ, Senthilkumar P. Andrographis paniculata: qualitative and quantitative phytochemical analysis. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2018;7:1251-1253.
21. Chaki SH, Malek TJ, Chaudhary MD, Tailor JP, Deshpande MP. Magnetite Fe3O4 nanoparticles synthesis by wet chemical reduction and their characterization. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotechnol 2015;6:035009.
22. Mohanraj K, Sivakumar G, Synthesis of ?-Fe2O3, Fe3O4 and Copper Doped Fe3O4 Nanoparticles by Sonochemical Method. Sains Malays 2017;46:1935–1942.
23. Ercuta A, Chirita M. Highly crystalline porous magnetite and vacancy-ordered maghemite microcrystals of rhombohedral habit. J Cryst Growth 2013;380:182–186.
24. Suresh J, Pradheesh G, Alexramani V, Sundrarajan M, Hong SI. Green synthesis and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticle using insulin plant (Costus pictus D. Don) and investigation of its antimicrobial as well as anticancer activities. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotechnol 2018; 9:015008.
25. Jouyandeh M, Ali JA, Aghazadeh M, Formela K, Saeb MR, Ranjbar Z, Ganjali, MR, Curing epoxy with electrochemically synthesized Zn –Fe3O4 magnetic nanoparticles. Prog Org Coat 2019;136:105246.
26. Mahdavi M, Namvar F, Ahmad M, Mohamad R. Green Biosynthesis and Characterization of Magnetic Iron Oxide (Fe3O4) Nanoparticles Using Seaweed (Sargassum muticum) Aqueous Extract. Mol 2013;18:5954–5964.
27. Maboudi SA, Shojaosadati SA, Arpanaei A. Synthesis and characterization of multilayered nanobiohybrid magnetic particles for biomedical applications. Mater Des 2017;115:317–324.
28. Saratale RG, Shin HS, Kumar G, Benelli G, Kim DS, Saratale GD. Exploiting antidiabetic activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using Punica granatum leaves and anticancer potential against human liver cancer cells (HepG2). Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 2017;46 :211–222.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.