RP-HPLC (STABILITY-INDICATING) BASED ASSAY METHOD FOR THE SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF DORAVIRINE, TENOFOVIR DISOPROXIL FUMARATE AND LAMIVUDINE
Objective: In this study, a RP-HPLC (stability-indicating) based assay method for the estimation of doravirine (DRV), tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TFF) and lamivudine (LMV) simultaneously in the tablets was described.
Methods: The simultaneous analysis of DRV, TFF and LMV was done with HPLC system (Agilent 1100 series) and Luna Phenomenex C18 (250 mm × 4.6 mm × 5 μ) column with isocratic mobile phase (35% volume ratio of methanol and 65% volume ratio of 20 mmol ammonium formate, pH 5). Validation of assay method was done on sensitivity, linearity, accuracy, selectivity, precision, robustness and specificity.
Results: The calibration curves were linear through the range of 25-200 µg/ml for DRV and 75-600 µg/ml for TFF and LMV. The percent relative standard deviation for intraday variation/precision, interday variation/precision, intermediate precision/ruggedness and robustness were lower than 2%. The recovery of LMV (99.09-99.76%), TFF (99.10-99.41%) and DRV (98.65-99.28%) confirmed the good accuracy. The stability of LMV, TFF and DRV in 0.1N NaOH, 3% peroxide, 0.1 N HCl, UV light and dry heat of 60 °C was determined.
Conclusion: The results have allowed the method to be implemented in the tablets to quantify DRV, TFF, and LMV.
2. Nyamweya S, Hegedus A, Jaye A, Rowland Jones S, Flanagan KL, Macallan DC. Comparing HIV-1 and HIV-2 infection: lessons for viral immunopathogenesis. Rev Med Virol 2013;23:221-40.
3. Global HIV and AIDS statistics-2020 fact sheet, unaids.org. Available from: https://www.unaids.org/en/resources/fact-sheet [Last assessed on 05 Aug 2020]
4. Global Statistics, Hiv gov. Available from: https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/data-and-trends/global-statistics [Last assessed on 10 Aug 2020]
5. Drug and Device News. P and T 2018;43:588-98.
6. Pham HT, Xiao MA, Principe MA, Wong A, Mesplède T. Pharmaceutical, clinical, and resistance information on doravirine, a novel non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor for the treatment of HIV-1 infection. Drugs Context 2020;9:11-4.
7. Delstrigo 100 mg/300 mg/300 mg film-coated tablets. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9694/smpc [Last accessed on 05 Jun 2020]
8. Boyle A, Moss CE, Marzolini C, Khoo S. Clinical pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and drug interaction profile of doravirine. Clin Pharmacokinet 2019;58:1553-65.
9. Colombier MA, Molina JM. Doravirine: a review. Curr Opin HIV AIDS 2018;13:308-14.
10. Deeks ED. Doravirine: first global approval. Drugs 2018;78:1643-50.
11. Kearney BP, Flaherty JF, Shah J. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate: clinical pharmacology and pharmacokinetics. Clin Pharmacokinet 2004;43:595-612.
12. Lyseng Williamson KA, Reynolds NA, Plosker GL. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate: a review of its use in the management of HIV infection. Drugs 2005;65:413-32.
13. Quercia R, Perno CF, Koteff J, Moore K, McCoig C, St Clair M, et al. Twenty-five years of lamivudine: current and future use for the treatment of HIV-1 infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2018;78:125–35.
14. Deepali G, Elvis M. UV spectrophotometric method for assay of the anti-retroviral agent lamivudine in active pharmaceutical ingredient and in its tablet formulation. J Young Pharm 2010;2:417-9.
15. Sonar KV, Sapkale P, Jadhav A, Deshmukh T, Patil S, Murkute P. Development and validation of UV spectroscopic method for estimation of lamivudine in tablet dosage form. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:86-9.
16. Vikram Singh A, Nath LK, Pani NR. Development and validation of analytical method for the estimation of lamivudine in rabbit plasma. J Pharm Anal 2011;1:251-7.
17. Kano EK, dos Reis Serra CH, Koono EE, Andrade SS, Porta V. Determination of lamivudine in human plasma by HPLC and its use in bioequivalence studies. Int J Pharm 2005;297:73-9.
18. Bakshi AN, Neelam T. Quantification and impurity profiling of anti-hiv drugs by HPLC MS/MS method. JCR 2020;7:4109-16.
19. Alekhya K, Srinivasan MS, Subramani S, Surya R, Vijey AM. Simultaneous evaluation of abacavir sulfate as well as lamivudine in medical formulations by gradient reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography technique. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:110-3.
20. Shirkhedkar Atul A, Bhirud Charushila H, Surana Sanjay J. Application of UV-spectrophotometric methods for estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in tablets. Pak J Pharm Sci 2009;22:27-9.
21. Jullien V, Treluyer JM, Pons G, Rey E. Determination of tenofovir in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with spectrofluorimetric detection. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2003;785:377-81.
22. Ashenafi D, Chintam V, Van Veghel D, Dragovic S, Hoogmartens J, Adams E. Development of a validated liquid chromatographic method for the determination of related substances and assay of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. J Sep Sci 2010;33:1708-16.
23. Bodempudi SB, Rupakula RCB, Reddy KS. Development and validation of rp-chiral HPLC method for quantification of (s)-isomer in tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:31-6.
24. Agrahari V, Youan BB. Sensitive and rapid HPLC quantification of tenofovir from hyaluronic acid-based nanomedicine. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012;13:202-10.
25. Saha C, Gupta NV, Chandan RS, Shanmukha Priya P. The development of a validated stability indicating LC-MS method for the determination of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate using quality by design approach. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:406-17.
26. Wiriyakosol N, Puangpetch A, Manosuthi W, Tomongkon S, Sukasem C, Pinthong D. A LC/MS/MS method for determination of tenofovir in human plasma and its application to toxicity monitoring. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2018;1085:89-95.
27. Desai R, Roadcap B, Goykhman D, Woolf E. Determination of doravirine in human plasma using liquid-liquid extraction and HPLC-MS/MS. Bioanalysis 2019;11:1495-508.
28. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). Stability testing of new drug substances and products Q1A (R2). Geneva, Switzerland; 2003.
29. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). Harmonized tripartite guideline validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology Q2 (R1). Geneva: IFPMA, Switzerland; 2005.
30. Ravichandran V, Shalini S, Sundaram KM, Rajak H. Validation of analytical methods-strategies and importance. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:18-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.