TOPICAL DRUG DELIVERY OF GOSSYPIN FROM PRONIOSOMAL GEL FORMULATIONS: IN VITRO EFFICACY AGAINST HUMAN MELANOMA CELLS
Objective: This work aimed to establish and formulate the gossypinproniosomal gel drug delivery system.
Methods: Gossypin-loaded proniosomal gels (GPG) was prepared using specific non-ionic surfactants (Spans), followed by particle size (PS), entrapment efficiency (percent EE), in vitro, ex-vivo drug release, and in vitro efficacy of Gossypin against human melanoma cells (A-375).
Results: The results showed that the percentage EE for the GPG is appropriate (81.3 %–95.5 %) and they are Nano-sized (189.3–912.0 nm) and the gels diffusion provided the desired sustaining effect for GPG-F7 formulation (75.5 percent). The GPG reported cell viability of 14.9±2.3 percent compared with 16.1±1.1 percent for free Gossypin at the maximum dose of 100 μg/ml for A-375 human melanoma cells after 24 hr incubation time. No major changes were seen in the percentage EE, PS of GPG after storage for 90d, in the physical stability report.
Conclusion: The results obtained suggest that the proniosomal drug delivery system can enhance the flux to the skin and achieve the ideal Gossypin sustainability effect. Consequently, the use of proniosomal gel may be advantageous with regard to the topical delivery of Gossypin for melanoma treatment management.
2. Ferrai NM, JH Muller, Riberio. Descriptive epidemiological study.Sao Paulo Med J 2008;1261:41-7.
3. Osterlind A, Berthelsen JG, Abildgaard N. Risk of bilateral testicular germ celltumour in denmark.J NatlCance1991;83:1391–5.
4. Tutrone WD, Saini R, Caglar S. Topical therapy for actinic keratosesI: 5-fluorouracil and imiquimod. Cutis 2003;71:365–70.
5. Babu BH, ShyleshBhaskaran, J Paddikkala. Tumour reducing and anti-carcinogenic activity of acanthus ilicifolius in mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;79:27-33.
6. SwarnendraSingh, Atif Zafar, Saman Khan, ImaranaNaseem. Review article towards therapeutic advances in melanoma management: an overview. Life Sci 2017;174:50-8.
7. Vidyasagar JM,Srinivas M,Nagulu A,Venkatesham V,Uday Kiran, Krishna DR. Protein binding study of gossypin by equilibrium dialysis. CurrTrends Biotechnol Pharm2008;29:396-401.
8. Gautham P Flora. Oral supplementation of gossypin during lead exposure protects alteration in the heme synthesis pathway and brain oxidative stress in rats. Nutr J 2010;26:563-70.
9. El-Laithy HM, Shoukry O, Mahran LG. Novel sugar esters proniosomes for transdermal delivery of vinpocetine: preclinical and clinical studies. Eur J Pharm Biopharm2011;77:43-55.
10. Gautam A, Vijayaraghavan R. Prophylactic effect of gossypin against percutaneously administered sulfur mustard. Biomed Environ Sci 2007;20:250-9.
11. ShyleshBhaskaranKalarikkal V, Dileep, Sathyaseelan S Deepa, ChittalakkottuSadasivan, Mitch Klausner, Naveen K, Krishnegowda, et al. Gossypin as a novel selective dual inhibitor of v-raf murine sarcoma viral oncogene homolog B1 and cyclin-dependent kinase 4 for melanoma. Mol Cancer Ther 2013;12:361-72.
12. Chamundeeswari D, EthirajanSukumar K, Amar N,Brahmananda Reddy I, Anil Kumar BV,Chowdry K Samatha. Cytotoxic and antibacterial activities of gossypin. Nat Prod Sci 2007;13:300-3.
13. Kunnumakkara AB, Nair AS, Ahn KS. Gossypin, a pentahydroxyglucosyl flavone, inhibits the transforming growth factor beta-activated kinase-1-mediated NF-?B activation pathway, leading to potentiation of apoptosis, suppression of invasion, and abrogation of osteoclastogenesis. Blood 2007;109:5112-21.
14. Krishnaiah YSR, Bhaskar P, Sathanarayana V. Penetration enhancing effect of ethanol-water solvent system and ethenolic solution of carvone on transdermal permeability of nimodipine from HPMC gel across rat abdominal skin. Pharm DevTechnol 2004;9:63-74.
15. Jukanti R, SruthiSheela, Suresh Bandari, Prabhakar RVeerareddy. Enhanced bioavailability of exemestane via proliposomes based transdermal delivery. J Pharm Sci 2011;100:3208-22.
16. Kunnumakkara Ajay Kumar B, Kwang SAhn, Anand P, Krishnan S, Guha S, Agarwal Bharat B. Modification of the cysteine residues in I-kappa B-alpha kinase and NF-kappaB (p65) by xanthohumol leads to suppression of NF-kappaB-regulated gene products and potentiation of apoptosis in leukemia cells. Blood 2009;113:203-13.
17. Schreier H, Joke Bouwstra. Liposomes and niosomes as topical drug carriers for dermal and transdermal drug delivery. J Controlled Release 1994;30:1-15.
18. Gupta V, Agrawal RC, Trivedi P. Reduction in cisplatingenotoxicity (micronucleus formation) in non-target cells of mice by protransfersome gel formulation used for management of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Pharm 2011;61:63–71.
19. Fang JY, Yu SY, Wu PC, Huang YB, Tsai YH. In vitro skin permeation of estradiol from various proniosome formulations. Int J Pharm2001;215:91–9.
20. Uchegbu IF, Vyas SP. Non-ionic surfactant based vesicles (niosomes) in drug delivery. Int J Pharm 1998;172:33–70.
21. Sandeep G, Vasavi Reddy D, Srinivas Reddy Devireddy. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole pro-niosomal gel for topical administration.J Appl Pharm Sci 2014;4:98-104.
22. AbdElbary A, El-laithy HM, Tadros MI. Sucrose stearate based proniosome derived niosomes for the nebulisable delivery of cromolyn sodium. Int J Pharm2008;357:189-8.
23. Couvreur P, Fattal E, Andremont A. liposomes and nanoparticles in the treatment of intracellular bacterial infections. Pharm Res 1991;8:1079–86.
24. Kapil Kumar Rai AK. Development and evaluation of proniosome encapsulated curcumin for transdermal administration. Trop J Pharm Res 2011;10:697-703.
25. Karthik JY, Raju J, Ashok V, Sharath S, Suresh B, Prabhakar K, et al. Bioavailability enhancement of zaleplon via proliposomes: role of surface charge. Eur J Pharm Biopharm2012;80:347–57.
26. Shirsand SB, Para MS, Nagendrakumar D, Kanani KM, Keerthy D. Formulation and evaluation of ketoconazole niosomal gel drug delivery system.Int J Pharm2012;2:201-7.
27. Rizwan M, Aqil M, Ahad A, Sultana Y, Ali MM. Transdermal delivery of valsartan: i. effect of various terpenes. Drug DevInd Pharm 2008;34:618-26.
28. Ashok Mateti, Mohammed Habibuddin, RajuJukanti. Formulation and evaluation of proniosome based transdermal gel of sumatriptan succinate. Int J Pharm BiolSci2016;6:224-35.
29. AilarTupal, Mehdi Sabzichi, FatemehRamezani, Maryam Kouhsoltani, HamedHamishehkar. Dermal delivery of doxorubicin-loaded solid lipid nano particles for the treatment of skin cancer. J Microencapsul 2016;33:372–80.
30. Escribano E, Calpena AC, Queralt J, Obach R, Domenech J. Assesment of diclofenac permeation with different formulations: anti-inflammatory study of selected formula. Eur J Pharm Sci 2003;19:203-10.
31. Zhao K, Singh J. In vitro percutaneous absorption enhancement of propranolol hydrochloride through porcine epidermis by terpenes/ethanol. J Controlled Release 1999;62:359-66.
32. RajinikanthSiddalingam, Kumarappan Chidambaram. Topical nano-delivery of 5-fluorouracil: preparation and characterization of water-in-oil nanoemulsion.Trop J Pharm Res 2016;15:2311.
33. Zafar Saqib, Asgar Ali,Mohammed Aqil, Abdul Ahad. Transdermal drug delivery of labetalol hydrochloride: feasibility and effect of penetration enhancers. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2010;10:321-4.
34. Abdul Hafeez, Imran Kazmi. Dacarbazine nanoparticle topical delivery system for the treatment of melanoma. Sci Rep2017;7:1-10.
35. Gupta M, Bhuvaneshwar Vaidya, Neeraj Mishra, Suresh PVyas. Effect of surfactants on the characteristics of fluconazole niosomes for enhanced cutaneous delivery. Drug Delivery Artif Cell Nanomed B2011;39:376-84.
36. Song Wenting, Dongmei Cun, Honglei Xi, Liang Fang. The control of skin permeating rate of bisoprolol by ion-pair strategy for long-acting transdermal patches. AAPS PharmSciTech2012;13:811-5.
37. MokhtarM,SammourOA,HammadMA,MegrabNA.Effectofsomeformulationparametersonflurbiprofen encapsulation and release rates of niosomes prepared fromproniosomes. Int J Pharm 2008;361:104-11.
38. Vora B, Khopade AJ, Jain NK.Proniosome based transdermal delivery oflevonorgestrel for effective contraception. J Controlled Release 1998;54:149-65.
39. Ankit Acharya, Kiran Kumar GB, Mohammed Gulzar Ahmed, Saroj Paudel. A novel approach to increase the bioavailability of candesartan cilexetil by proniosomal gel formulation: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Int J Pharm PharmSci 2016;8:241-6.
40. Rizwana Khan, RaghuveerIrchhaiya. In vitroin vivo evaluation of niosomal formulation of famotidine. Int J Pharm PharmSci 2020;12:15-22.
41. Shikha Baghel Chauhan, TanveerNaved, NayyarParvez. Formulation development and evaluation of proniosomal gel of ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel for antifertility treatment.Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:364-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.