SETTING TIME, FLOWABILITY, AND SOLUBILITY OF EPOXY RESIN-BASED SEALER MIXED WITH CHITOSAN NANOPARTICLES
Objective: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of the incorporation of chitosan nanoparticles into epoxy resin-based sealer on its setting time, flowability and solubility.
Methods: This study was divided into three evaluations, namely setting time, flowability, and solubility of sealers. Each study used 20 samples, which were divided into two groups. Group 1, epoxy resin-based sealers, and group 2, epoxy resin-based sealers mixed with chitosan nanoparticles. The Gilmore needle was used to observe the setting time, a simple press method based on ISO 6876 was employed to evaluate the flowability of the sealer, and the solubility test, which was according to ISO 6876 standard was used to determine the solubility of sealers. The surface structure of the sealers before and after the solubility test was observed under Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM).
Results: No significant difference occurred between epoxy resin-based sealer and epoxy resin-based sealer mixed with chitosan nanoparticles in terms of setting time, flowability, and solubility of sealers (*P > 0.05).
Conclusion: The incorporation of chitosan nanoparticles produced the same setting time, flowability, and solubility as the epoxy resin-based sealer. Thus, both sealers showed acceptable properties in terms of setting time, flowability, and solubility based on ISO 6876 standards.
2. Kaur A, Shah N, Logani A, Mishra N. Biotoxicity of commonly used root canal sealers: A meta-analysis. J Conserv Dent 2015;18 83-8.
3. Javidi M, Dastmalchi P, Zarei M, Rad MS, Ghorbani A. In vitro cytotoxicity of a new nano root canal sealer on human gingival fibroblasts. IEJ 2017;12:220-5.
4. Chang SW, Lee YK, Zhu Q, Shon WJ, Lee WC, Kum KY, et al. Comparison of the rheological properties of four root canal sealers. Int J Oral Sci 2015;7:56-61.
5. Poggio C, Dagna A, Ceci M, Meravini MV, Colombo M, Pietrocola G. Solubility and pH of bioceramic root canal sealers: A comparative study. J Clin Exp Dent 2017; 9:e1189-e1194.
6. Colombo M, Poggio C, Dagna A, Meravini MV, Riva P, Trovati F, et al. Biological and physico-chemical properties of new root canal sealers. J Clin Exp Dent 2018;10:e120-e126.
7. Pawar SS, Pujar MA, Makandar SD. Evaluation of the apical sealing ability of bioceramic sealer, AH plus and epiphany: an in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2014;17:579-82.
8. Nair N, Devadathan A, Johny MK, Mathew J, Jacob J. Comparative evaluation of antibiofilm efficacy of chitosan nanoparticle and zincoxide nanoparticle?incorporated calcium hydroxide?based Sealer: An in vitro study. Contemp Clin Dent 2018;9:434-9.
9. Desouky AA, Negm MM, Ali MM. Sealability of different root canal nanosealers: Nano calcium hydroxide and nano bioactive glass. Open Dent J 2019;13:308-15.
10. Brezhnev A, Neelakantan P, Tanaka R, Brezhnev S, Fokas G, Matinlinna JP. Antibacterial additives in epoxy resin-based root canal sealers: A focused review. Dent J 2019;7:1-27.
11. Reyhani MF, Ghasemi N, Rahimi S, Milani AS, Omrani E. Effect of different endodontic sealers on the push-out bond strength of fiber posts. Iran Endod J 2016;11:119-23.
12. Ordinola ZR, Bramante CM, Cavenago B, Graeff MSZ, Moraes G, Marciano M, et al. Antimicrobial effect of endodontic solution used as final irrigants on a dentine biofilm model. Int Endod J 2012;45:162-8.
13. Perochena ADC, Kishen A, Shrestha A, Bramante CM. Antibacterial properties associated with chitosan nanoparticle treatment on root dentin and 2 types of endodontic sealers. J Endod 2015;41:1353-58.
14. International Organization for Standadization. Spesification for dental root canal sealing materials. ISO 6876. Geneva, Switzerland, 2001.
15. Lee JK, Kwak SW, Ha JH, Lee WC, Kim HC. Physicochemical properties of epoxy resin-based and bioceramic-based root canal sealers. Bioinorg Chem Appl 2017;2017:1-9.
16. Zhou HM, Shen Y, Zheng W, Li L, Zheng YF, Haapasalo M. Physical properties of 5 root canal sealers. J Endod 2013;39:1281-6.
17. Altan H, Goztas Z, Inci G, Tosun G. Comparative evaluation of apical sealing ability of different root canal sealers. Eur Oral Res 2019;52:117-21.
18. Bangun H, Tandiono S, Arianto A. Preparation and evaluation of chitosan-tripolyphosphate nanoparticles suspension as an antibacterial agent. J Appl Pharm Sci 2018;8: 147-56.
19. Mendes AT, da Silva PB, Só BB, Hashizume LN, Vivan RR, da Rosa RA, et al. Evaluation of physicochemical properties of new calcium silicate-based sealer. Braz Dent J 2018 29: 536-40.
20. Flores DSH, Rached-Júnior FJA, Versiani MA, Guedes DFC, Sousa-Neto MD, Pécora JD. Evaluation of physicochemical properties of four root canal sealers. Int Endod J 2011; 44: 126-35.
21.Viapiana R, Tanomaru JMG, Duarte MAH, Filho MT, Camilleri J. Chemical characterization and bioactivity of epoxy resin and Portland cement-based sealers with niobium and zirconium oxide radiopacifiers. Dent Mater 2014;30:1005-20
22. Teixeira VAB, De Carvalho H, Silva C, Alves OL, Luiz O, Reis A. Endodontic sealers modified with silver vanadate: Antibacterial, compositional, and setting time valuation. Biomed Res Int 2019;2019:1-9.
23. Bronzel ZCL, Torres EFF, Filho TM, Andrade CGM, Martelo BR, Tanomaru GJM. Evaluation of physicochemical properties of a new calcium silicate–based sealer, bio-C sealer. J Endod 2019;45:1248-52.
24. Song YS, Choi Y, Lim MJ, Yu MK, Hong CU, Lee KW, et al. In vitro evaluation of a newly produced resin-based endodontic sealer. Restor Dent Endod 2016;41:189-95.
25. Lee JK, Kwak SW, Ha JH, Lee WC, Kim HC. Physicochemical properties of epoxy resin-based and bioceramic-based root canal sealers. Bioinorg Chem Appl 2017:2017:1-21.
26. Bernardes RA, de Amorim CA, Junior DSS, Pereira LO, Duarte MAH, Moraes IG, et al. Evaluation of the flow rate of 3 endodontic sealers: Sealer 26, AH Plus, and MTA Obtura. Oral Surgery, Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010;109:e47-e49.
27. Saad AY. Physicochemical, cytotoxicity, and biological properties of calcium silicate-based root canal sealers: A literature review. Saudi Endod J 2020;10:173-80.
28. Poggio C, Arciola CR, Dagna A, Colombo M, Bianchi S, Visai L. Solubility of root canal sealers: A comparative study. Int J Artif Organs 2010;33:676-81.
29. Ferrari F, Torres E, Tanomaru GJM, Martelo BR, Espir CG, Camilleri J. Solubility, porosity, dimensional and volumetric change of endodontic sealers. Braz Dent J 2019;30:368-73.
30. Cañadas PS, Berástegui E, Gaton-Hernández P, Silva LA, Leite GA, Silva RS. Physicochemical properties and interfacial adaptation of root canal sealers. Braz Dent J 2014;25:435-41.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.