A FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF IN-SITU GEL CONTAINING LINEZOLID IN THE TREATMENT OF PERIODONTITIS
Objective: The intent to prepare and evaluate Linezolid in- situ gel in the treatment of periodontitis.
Methods: pH sensitive in-situ gel were formed by cold method using varying concentration of drug, carbopol 934P and hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose (HPMC) and carbopol 934P and Sodium CMC (1:1,1:1.5,1:2,1:2.5). Optimized batch was selected based on gelling time and gelling capacity. The prepared in-situ gels were evaluated for appearance, pH, gelling capacity, viscosity, in-vitro release studies, rheological studies, and the finally was subjected to drug content estimation and antibacterial activity test.
Results: FTIR study shows drug and physical mixture were compatible with each other.. The rheology of formulated in-situ gel exhibited pseudoplastic flow pattern. this may be due to the fact that when polymer concentration was increased the prepared formulations becomes more viscous and in turn delayed the drug release and from the prepared formulation LF4 and SF4 has polymer concentration i.e, 0.9% carbopol and sodium CMC showed drug release up to 12 hours.
Conclusion: When carbopol is appropriately mixed with other suitable polymers it forms in-situ gel forming system was substantiated by the property to transform into stiff gels when the pH is increased. In-situ gel was prepared using combination of carbopol-HPMC and carbopol-Na CMC The formulations LF1 to SF4 showed high linearity (R2 = 0.490-0.682) indicating that the drug was released from prepared in-situ gel by diffusion-controlled mechanism.Thus, the formulation of batches LF4 and SF4 containing carbopol: HPMC and carbopol: NaCMC in 1:2 ratios were considered as optimum formulation on the basis of optimum viscosity, gelling capacity and to extend the in-vitro drug release.
2. Antimicrobial resistance: global report on surveillance 2014. (WHO) WHO (2014).
3. Zabransky RJ. Linezolid: The first class of a new class of antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol News l. 2002; 24: 25–30.
4. Yoshizawa S, Tateda K, Saga T, Ishii Y, Yamaguchi K. Virulence-suppressing effects of linezolid on methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: possible contribution to early defervescence. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 56, 1744–1748.
5. Farahamed A, Sayar F,Tehrani RM, Eshfahani. BJ. Clinical Evaluation of Topical Application of Doxycycline 3% + Ketoprofen 2.5% Gel in Chronic Periodontitis Patients J Dental Sciences, 4(3):178-84, 2016.
6. Makwanan SB, Patel VA, Parmar SJ. Development and characterization of in-situ gel for ophthalmic formulation containing ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. Results in Pharma Sci. 2016; 6: 1–6.
7. Kassab HJ, Thomas LM, Jabir SA. Development and physical characterization of a periodontal bioadhesive gel of gatifloxacin. Int J Applied Pharmaceutics 2017; 9(3): 31-36.
8. Begum SG, Sekar M. Formulation and evaluation of tinidazole mucoadhesive buccal gels, Int J Pharma and Bio Sci. 2017; 8(2): 48-55.
9. Ahmed MG, Choudhari R, Acharya A. Formulation and Evaluation of In situ Gel of Atorvastatin for the Treatment of Periodontitis. RGUHS J Pharma Sci. 2015; 5(2): 53-60.
10. El-Kamel A, Al-Dosari H, Al-Jenoobi F. Environmentally responsive ophthalmic gel formulation of carteolol hydrochloride. Drug Deliv 2006; 13: 55-9.
11. Ariyana SD, Ervina I, Bangun D. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of alginate based metronidazole periodontal gel. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014: 7(1): 223- 227.
12. Indian Pharmacopoiea, Government of India. Ministry of health and family welfare. The controller of Publications, Delhi 1996; 1: 100–124.
13. Doijad RC, Manvi FV, Malleswara Rao VSN, Prajakta, Alsae. Sustained ophthalmic delivery of gatifloxacin from in situ gelling system. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2006; 68: 814–818.
14. Martha J, Gentry N, Keith M, Olsen, Laurel CP. Pharmacodynamic activity and efficacy of linezolid in a rat model of Pneumococcal pneumonia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002; 46: 1345–1396.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.