CHEMICAL REACTION KINETICS OF 1,5-BIS (3'-ETHOXY-4'-HYDROXYPHENYL)-1,4–PENTADIENT-3–ONE SYNTHESIS WITH FOOD GRADE RAW MATERIAL
Keywords:EHP, Chemical reaction kinetics, Food grade ethyl vanillin
Objective: This research aims to develop the 1,5-bis (3'-ethoxy-4'-hydroxyphenyl)-1,4-pentadient-3-one (EHP) synthesis method from ethyl vanilin with food-grade quality and determines the order reaction and formation reaction rate constant of EHP.
Methods: Synthesis of the EHP was carried out by reflux the starting material, ethyl vanillin (food grade) of various weights, acetone and hydrochloric acid as catalysts. The reflux results are then condensed for two days at cold temperatures. Determination of the reaction order and reaction rate constants are carried out by the graph method based on the reduction in the concentration of ethyl vanilin, which reacts with acetone each time unit.
Results: The results showed the formation of EHP, which was synthesized by starting material of ethyl vanilin food grade 4 and 8 grams following pseudo-first-order reaction kinetics with reaction rate constants respectively 0,0116/minute and 0,005/minute. The formation of EHP, which was synthesized by starting material ethyl vanilin food grade 16 and 18 grams following zero-order reaction kinetics with reaction rate constants respectively 0,1451 mg/ml minute and 0,248 mg/ml minute.
Conclusion: The synthesis of EHP from ethyl vanilin with food-grade quality has been success develop. The order reaction kinetics are different in the different mass of ethyl vanillin used.
2. Supardjan AM, Permatasari I. Synthesis of natural compounds 1,5-bis (4'-hydroxy-3'-methoxyphenyl)-1,4-pentadien-3-on. Trad Med Mag 2006;2:15-20.
3. Mumpuni E, Indriana P, Sulastri E, Rusnawan E. Synthesis and an antioxidant assay of 1,5-bis (3'-ethoxy-4'-hydroxyphenyl)-1,4-pentadien-3-on (EHP). J Ilmu Kefarmasian Indones 2010;8:91-100.
4. Mumpuni E, Agus P, Mulatsari E. Antibacterial activity assay of 1,5-bis (3'-ethoxy-4'-hydroxyphenyl)-1,4-pentadien-3-on (EHP) by in sillico and in vitro. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018:10:70-6.
5. Mumpuni E, Lestari R, Arief N. Toxicity and anti-inflammatory of 1,5-bis (3'-ethoxy-4'-hydroxyphenyl)-1,4-pentadien-3-on (EHP). J Ilmu Kefarmasian Indones 2015;13:45-9.
6. Brady JE. General chemistry principles and structures. Jakarta: Binarupa Aksara; 1999.
7. Syukri S. The basic chemistry. Volume II. Bandung: Institut Teknologi Bandung; 1999.
8. Cairns D. Essentials of pharmaceutical chemistry. 2nd edition. London: The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain; 2003.
9. Hill JW, Petrucci RH. General chemistry an integrated approach. 3rd Edition. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall; 2002.
10. Atkins P, Paula JD, Keeler J. Physical chemistry thermodynamic and kinetics. London. Oxford Press; 2006.
11. Sabaghi V, Davar F, Ferestheh Z. ZnS nanoparticles prepared via simple reflux and hydrothermal method: optical and photocatalitic properties. Ceramics Int 2018;44:7545-56.
12. Kesuma D, Santosa H. Synthesis of 2,4-dichlorobenzoyltiourea from 2,4-dichlorobenzylchloride and thiourea as a candidate for a central nervous system depressant drug through the reflux process. Indones Chem Eng Nat Sem Proc 2009;1:1-7.
13. Walpole RE. Introduction to statistics. eighth edition. London: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007.
14. Astuti IA. GVT-0 synthesis reaction kinetics (observation of the rate of GVT-0 formation). Surakatra: Faculty of the Pharmacy Muhammadiyah University of Surakarta; 2011.