An Ayurvedic Review on Therapeutic Potentials of Manahshila (Realgar): A Literature Review
Manahshila (Realgar) is used only in purified & detoxified condition for the therapeutic purposes as internal as well as external medicine. Manahshila have significant therapeutic values which have been mentioned in Brihatrayi and Bhaishajya Ratnavali. Most of the formulation of Manahshila is used for external application whereas fine powders of these processed minerals are used for both in external and internal application. Certain Dhuma Yoga also contain Manahshila are advised in respiratory tract diseases. Shuddha Manahshila has been described in various Rasa Yoga preparations, such as Shvasakuthara Rasa, Rajamriganka Rasa, Trailokyachintamani Rasa, Shilasindura, and Samirapannaga Rasa, Moreover, there are references for the use of Manahshila in Kustha, Swasa, Kasa Roga but this arsenical drug has not been used so far independently as a single drug.
2. Reddy KRC. Ocean of Ayurvedic Pharmaceutics. 1st ed.
Varanasi: Chaukhambha Sanskrit Bhawan; 2007. p. 225-226.
3. Agnivesa, Charaka Samhita, Commentary by Shastri Kashinath, 1st Ed., (Chaukhamba Sanskrit Academy, Varanasi), 1991.
4. Sushruta, Sushruta Samhita, Commentary by Shastri Ambika Dutta, 1st Ed., (Chaukhamba Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi), 1987.
5. Vagbhata, Astanga hrdaya, edited by Bhisagacarya Vaidya Hari Shastri, 8th Ed., (Chaukhamba Orientalia, Varanasi), 1998.
6. Sharangdhracarya, Sarangadhara Samhita, edited by Srivastava Shailja, 2nd Ed.,
(Chaukhamba Orientalia, Varanasi), 1998.
7. Rigveda, Commentary by Vishva Bandhu, 1st Ed., (Vishveshvaranand Vedic Research Institute, Hoshiarpur), 1965.
8. Atharvaveda, Commentary by Bandhu Vishva, 1st Ed., (Vishveshvaranand Vedic
Research Institute, Hoshiarpur), 1960.
9. Vrddhajivaka, Kashyapa Samhita or Vrddhajivakiya Tantra, edited by P V Tiwari, 1st Ed., (Chaukhamba Visvabharti, Varanasi), 1996.
10. Vagbhattacharya, Rasaratnasamuchchayah, edited by Tripathi Indradev, 2nd Ed.,
(Chaukhamba Sanskrit Sansthana, Varanasi), 2000.
11. Pt. Chaube Datta Ram, Brhadrasarajasundara, 3rd Ed., (Chaukharnba Orientalia, Varanasi), 2000.
12. Mishra Siddhinandan, Ayurvediya Rasa Shastra, l lth Ed., (Chaukharnba Orientalia,
13. Sharma Sadananda, Rasatarangini, edited by Dharmanand Shastri, 11th Ed., (Motilal Banarasi Das, Delhi), 1979.pg 260-265
14. Kulkarni Dattatreya Anata. Vagbhatacharya's Rasa Ratna Samucchaya. New Delhi: Meharachanda Lacchamanadas Publications; 2006. 3/92, p. 58.
15. Sharma PV. Caraka Samhita, with English translation of text. 4th Edition. Chaukhambha Bharathi Academy, Varanasi. 1998.
16. Shastri Datta Ambika Kaviraja. Govindadas's Bhaishajya Ratnavali. 18th ed. Varanasi: Chowkambha Sanskrit Samstana; 2005. 24/35-37 and 31-33, p. 514.