PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING OF ARTABOTRYS CRASSIFOLIUS HOOK.F. & THOMSON (ANNONACEAE JUSS.)
Objective: The aim of the present study was to determine the phytochemical constituents of Artabotrys crassifolius.
Methods: The leaves and barks of Artabotrys crassifolius were extracted sequentially with hexane, chloroform and ethanol. The corresponding crude extracts obtained were then subjected to phytochemical screening.
Results: The phytochemical analysis of crude extracts of Artabotrys crassifolius demonstrated the presence of alkaloids, cardiac glycosides, flavonoids, phenolic compounds, saponins and terpenoids.
Conclusion: The chemical profile of these crude extracts can serve as a useful reference for further investigations in pharmacological activities of Artabotrys crassifolius.
Phytochemical analysis, Artabotrys crassifolius, Annonaceae
2. Cheikhyoussef A, Shapi M, Matengu K, Ashekele HM. Ethnobotanical study of indigenous knowledge on medicinal plant use by traditional healers in Oshikoto region, Namibia. J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2011; 7: 10.
3. Murugan T, Rajendran P. Screening for antibacterial activity of Turnera subulata extracts against human pathogens. Int J Pharm Biol Arch; 2(5): 1456â€“1459.
4. Cowan MM. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol Rev 1999; 12(4): 564â€“582.
5. Briskin DP. Medicinal plants and phytomedicines. Linking plant biochemistry and physiology to human health. Plant Physiol 2000; 24: 507â€“514.
6. Panda NP, Ray P. A study on effect of some indigenous plant extracts against two human pathogens. Asian J Exp Biol Sci 2012; 3(1): 175â€“179.
7. Pathare YS, Wagh VD. Herbal medicines and nutritional supplements used in the treatment of glaucoma: a review. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2012; 3(1): 331â€“339.
8. Al-Zubairi AS, Abdul AB, Abdelwahab SI, Peng CY, Mohan S, Elhassan MM. Eleucine indica possesses antioxidant, antibacterial and cytotoxic properties. Evid Based Compl Alt Med 2011; 965370.
9. Kalaivani T, Rajasekaran C, Suthindhiran K, Mathew L. Free radical scavenging, cytotoxic and hemolytic activities from leaves of Acacia nilotica (L.) Wild. ex. Delile subsp. indica (Benth.) Brenan. Evid Based Compl Alt Med 2011; 274741.
10. Poh-Hwa T, Yoke-Kqueen C, Indu Bala J, Son R. Bioprotective properties of three Malaysia Phyllanthus species: an investigation of the antioxidant and antimicrobial activities. Int Food Res J 2011; 18(3): 887â€“893.
11. Murphy BT, Cao S, Brodie PJ, Miller JS, Ratovoson F, Birkinshaw C, et al. Antiproliferative compounds of Artabotrys madagascariensis from the Madagascar rainforest. Nat Prod Res 2008; 22(13): 1169â€“1175.
12. Brophy J, Goldsack R, Forster P. Essential oils from the leaves of some Queensland Annonaceae. J Essent Oil Res 2004; 16(2): 95â€“100.
13. Li PT, Gilbert MG. Annonaceae. In: Wu ZY, Raven PH, Hong DY, editors. Flora of China (Cucurbitaceae through Valerianaceae, with Annonaceae and Berberidaceae). Volume 19. Beijing Science Press; 2011, p. 701â€“703.
14. Sichaem J, Ruksilp T, Worawalai W, Siripong P, Khumkratok S, Tip-Pyang S. A new dimeric aporphine from the roots of Artabotrys spinosus. Fitoterapia 2011; 82(3): 422â€“425.
15. Ranganathan R, Vijayalakshmi R, Parameswari P. Ethnomedicinal survey of Jawadhu hills in Tamil Nadu. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012; 5(2): 45â€“49.
16. Lan YH, Wang HY, Wu CC, Chen SL, Chang CL, Chang FR, et al. New constituents from stems of Artabotrys uncinatus. Chem Pharm Bull 2007; 55(11): 1597â€“1599.
17. Lal HS, Singh S. Study of plant biodiversity of Hazaribag district Jharkhand India and its medicinal uses. Biosci Disc 2012; 3(1): 91â€“96.
18. Pin KY, Chuah AL, Rashih AA, Mazura MP, Fadzureena J, Vimala S, et al. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of extracts of betel leaves (Piper betle) from solvents with different polarities. J Trop For Sci 2010; 22(4): 448â€“455.
19. Kosma P, Ambang Z, Begoude BAD, Ten Hoopen GM, Kuate J, Akoa A. Assessment of nematicidal properties and phytochemical screening of neem seed formulations using Radopholus similis, parasitic nematode of plantain in Cameroon. Crop Prot 2011; 30(6): 733â€“738.
20. Mehrotra V, Mehrotra S, Kirar V, Shyam R, Misra K, Srivastava AK, et al. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of aqueous extract of Withania somnifera against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Microbiol Biotechnol Res 2011; 1(1): 40â€“45.
21. Magadula JJ, Tewtrakul S. Anti-HIV-1 protease activities of crude extracts of some Garcinia species growing in Tanzania. Afr J Biotechnol 2010; 9(12): 1848â€“1852.
22. Hussain I, Khan N, Ullah R, Shanzeb, Ahmed S, Khan FA, et al. Phytochemical, physiochemical and anti-fungal activity of Eclipta alba. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2011; 5(19): 2150â€“2155.
23. Itoria P, Jain S, Jain G, Dubey BK. Pharmacognostic evaluation and phytochemical screening of Leucas cephalotes. Int J Phytopharm 2011; 1(1): 15â€“26.
24. Kripa KG, Sangeetha R, Madhavi P, Deepthi P. Phytochemical screening and in vitro amylase inhibitory effect of the leaves of Breynia retusa. Pakistan J Biol Sci 2011; 14(19): 894â€“899.
25. Vesoul J, Cock IE. An examination of the medicinal potential of Pittosporum phylliraeoides: toxicity, antibacterial and antifungal activities. Phcog Commn 2011; 1(2): 8â€“17.
26. Jones WP, Kinghorn AD. Extraction of plant secondary metabolites. In: Sarker SD, Latif Z, Gray AI, editors. Natural products isolation. 2nd ed. Springer; 2005: p. 341.
27. Khan FA, Hussain I, Farooq S, Ahmad M, Arif M, Rehman IU. Phytochemical screening of some Pakistanian medicinal plants. Middle East J Sci Res 2011; 8(3): 575â€“578.
28. Aspe E, Fernandez K. The effect of different extraction techniques on extraction yield, total phenolic, and anti-radical capacity of extracts from Pinus radiata bark. Ind Crop Prod 2011; 34(1): 838â€“844.
29. Tsai YL, Chiou SY, Chan KC, Sung JM, Lin SD. Caffeic acid derivatives, total phenols, antioxidant and antimutagenic activities of Echinacea purpurea flower extracts. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2012; 46(1): 169â€“176.
30. Kakpure MR, Rothe SP. Qualitative phytochemical screening of Indian witchweed: Striga asiatica (L.) O. Ktze â€“ an unexplored medicinal parasitic plant. J Exp Sci 2012; 3(3): 28â€“31.