ANTIMICROBIAL SCREENING OF THE LEAF EXTRACTS OF BACOPA MONNIERI (L) PENNELL
Objective: To investigate the antibacterial efficacy of leaves of Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell
Methods: The present study evaluates the anti-microbial activity of Bacopa monnieri against selected bacterial strains (E. coli, E. coli K 88,Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus vulgaris, Bacillus subtilis UC 564,B. pumilus 8241,B. licheniformis, Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 6571,Streptococcus faecalis 52,Enterococcus faecalis ATCC 29212,Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella typhii 62,Shigella dysenteriae 3,S. flexneri E0 3429,S. sonnei E0 8869) and fungal cultures of Aspergillus niger and candida albicans using disc diffusion assay.
Results: Methanol extract has maximum (24Â±0.5) inhibitory effect against Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 6571 at a concentration of 15 mg/ml,which is followed by Streptococcus faecalis 52 (22Â±0.0) and Klebsiella pneumoniae (22Â±0.2) at the same concentration.
Conclusion: The results showed maximum antifungal activity against C. albicans which was followed by A. niger.
2. Raven PH, RF Evert, SE Eichhorn. Biology of plants. W. H. Freeman and company: New York; 2005.
3. Hussain J, Khan AL, Rehman N, Zainullah, Hussain ST, Khan F, et al. Proximate and nutrient analysis of selected medicinal plant species of Pakistan. Pakistan J Nutr 2009;8:620-4.
4. Balasundaram N, Sundaram, Samman S. Phenolic compounds in plant and agri-industrial by-products: antioxidant activity, occurrence, and potential uses. Food Chem 2006;99:199-203.
5. Uniyal MR. Medicinal plants of bhagirathi valley are lying in Uttarkashi forest division. Indian Forester 1968;94:407-20.
6. Yadav SK, AK Jain, SN Tripathi, JP Gupta. Irritable bowel syndrome: therapeutic evaluation of Indigenous drugs. Indian J Med Res 1989;90:496-503.
7. Rios JL, MC Recio, A Villar. Screening methods for natural products with antimicrobial activity: a review of the literature. J. Ethnopharmacol 1988;23:127-49.
8. Gupta MP, PN Solis, AL Calderon, F Guionneau-Sinclair, M Corsea, C Galdemos, et al. Medical ethnobotany of the tribes of bocas del toro, panama. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;96:389-401.
9. Mota MLR, G Thomas, JM Barbosa Filho. Anti-inflammatory actions of tannins isolated from the bark of Anacardium occidentale (L). J Ethnopharmacol 1985;13:289-300.