VALIDATED SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF CHLORAMPHENICOL IN PURE AND IN ITS DOSAGE FORM
Objective: A simple, economic, selective, precise, and accurate UV-Visible spectrophotometric method for the analysis of Chloramphenicol in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulations was developed and validated in the present study.
Methods: Based on oxidative coupling reaction with MBTH reagent at PH-4.5 which is extractable at 620 nm. The Beer's law is obeyed in the concentration range 1-6 ml (10-60 Âµg ml-1).
Results: The RSD was found to be 0.0194% and recovery is 99.73%. The method was completely validated and proven to be rugged. The interferences of the ingredients and recipients were not observed. The repeatability and the performance of the proved method were established by point and internal hypothesis and through recovery studies.
Conclusion: The method was found to be accurate and precise, as indicated by recovery studies close to 100 and % RSD is not more than 2. The summery of validation parameters of proposed UV-Visible method is given.Keywords: Spectrophotometry, Chloramphenicol, MBTH, Oxidative coupling
2. Falagas ME, Michalopoulos AA. Potential of old-generation antibiotics to address current need for new antibiotics. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2008;6:593â€“600.
3. Wilson A, Schild HO, Modell W. Applied pharmacologyâ€. 11th Ed. Churchill Livingstone, London; 1975.
4. Pan Y, Xu Q, Kang X, Zhang J. Determination of chloramphenicol residues in milk by reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Se Pu 2005;23:577-80.
5. Storey J, Pfenning A, Turnipseed S, Nandrea G, Rebecca L, Burns C, et al. Determination of chloramphenicol residues in shrimp and crab tissues by electrospray triple quadrupole LC/MS/MS". DFS/ORA/FDA 2003;19:1-16.
6. Jiang Y, Zhong X, Zhong T, Shen CY, Ding T, Chen HL, et al. Determination ofchloramphenicol in royal jelly by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry", veterinary drug residues. J AOAC Int 2006:47;3464â€“9.
7. Teresa K. Determination of chloramphenicol in feed use of high-performance liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometry, Branch Institute of Animal Drugs Inspection; 2003.
8. Summa AF. Polarographic determination of chloramphenicol preparations. J Pharm Sci 1965;54:442-4.
9. Lindino CA, BulhÃµes LOS. Determination of chloramphenicol in tablets by electrogenerated chemilumine-scence. J Braz Chem Soc 2004;15:876-80.
10. Haughland P, Kang R, Young H, Steven L, Melner M. Fluorescent chloramphenicol derivatives for determination of chloramphenicol acetyltransferase activity. Molecular Probes 1991;18:722-30.
11. Morris HC, Miller J, Campbell LS, Hammond PM, Berry DJ, Price CP. A rapid, enzymatic method for the determination of chloramphenicol in serum. J Antimicrob Chemother 1988;22:935-44.
12. Chukwuenweniwe JE, Johnson S, Adelusi SA. An alternative colorimetric method for the determination of chloramphenicol. Trop J Pharm Res 2003;2:215-21.
13. Wahbi AM, Abdine H, Korany MA, El-Yazbi FA. Spectrophotometric determination of chloramphenicol-sulphacetamide in eye drops. Pharmazie 1978;33:721-2.
14. Hind S Al-Ward. Kinetic spectrophotometric methods for the determination of chloramphenicol in pharmaceutical preparations. J Al-Nahrain University 2012;15:22-30.
15. Naik S, Nagaraja P, Yathirajan H, Hemantha kumar, Mohan H. New spectrophotometric methods for the quantitative determination of chloramphenicol in pharmaceuticals. Pharm Chem J 2006;40:576-81.
16. Shah RC, Raman PV, Shah BM. Spectrophotometric determination of chloramphenicol and tetracycline hydrochloride in mixtures. J Pharm Sci 1963;52:167â€“8.
17. Freeman FM. The colorimetric determination of chloramphenicol. J Chem Soc 1956;81:298-9.
18. Mahrous MS, Abdel-Khalek MM. Spectrophotometric determination of phenothiazines, tetracyclines and chloramphenicol with sodium cobaltinitrite. Talanta 1983; 30:792-4.
19. MoÅ£ A, Soponar C, Medvedovici F, Sarbu A. Simultaneous spectro-photometric determination of aspirin, paracetamol, caffeine, and chlorphenamine from pharmaceutical formulations using multivariate regression-methods. World Wide Sci 2010;43:804-13.
20. Al-Sabha TN, Rasheed BA. Spectrophotometric method for determination of chloramphenicol in pharmaceutical preparations using 1,2-naphthoquinone-4-sulphonate as a chromogenic reagent. Jordan J Chem 2010;5:201-10.
21. Ahmidaa NHS, El-Hashemea F, El-Enany N, Belal F. Kinetic spectro-photometric method for the determination of tetracycline hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulations. Appl Sci Res 2009;1:1-11.
22. Omar MA, Abdelmageed OH, Attia TZ. Kinatic spectrophotometric determination of certain cephalosporins in pharmaceutical formulations. Int J Anal Chem 2009;5:12-5.
23. Darwish IA, Sultan MA, Al-Arfaji HA. Novel selective kinetic spectrophotometric method for the determination of norfloxacin in its pharmaceuticals formulations. Talanta 2009;78:1383-8.
24. El-Brashy A, Eid M, Talaat W. Kinetic spectrophotometric method for the determination of ketoprofen in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids. Int J Biomed Sci 2006;2:405-12.
25. Rahman N, Ahmad Y, Najmul S, Azmi H. Kinetic spectrophotometric method for the determination of ramipril in pharmaceutical formulations. AAPS Pharm Sci Technol 2006;6:543-51.
26. Abd-AlSatar RS. Development of new spectrophotometric methods for determination of some organic drug compounds in pharma-ceutical preparations. Ph. D thesis, Baghdad University; 2006.
27. Roso J. Advanced physicochemical experiments. Sir Issac Pitman and Sons, London; 1964.
28. Weisberger A, Friess SL, Lewis ES. Techniques of organic chemistry. Vol. 3. Part 1, Interscience, New York; 1953.
29. Bendito DP, Silva M. Kinetic methods in analytical chemistry. Ellis Horwood, Chichester; 1988.
30. Yatsimirskii KB. Kinetic methods of analysis, Pergamon Press: Oxford; 1966.
31. Laitinen HA, Harris WA. Chemical analysis. 2nd Ed. McGraw-Hill, New York; 1975.