SPECTRAL STUDIES AND ANTIMICROBIAL SCREENING FOR SOME NOVEL CHALCONES ANALOGUES
Objective: The present work aim to study the spectral and antimicrobial activity for synthesized chalcones
Methods: The synthesized Chalcones were characterized by Physical and spectral methods such as melting point, IR, 1H-NMR and Mass analysis. The synthesized compounds have been screened for their antimicrobial activity.
Results: The biological data showed that compounds III, VII had strong activities against the Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus subtilis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, but not activity against fungus.
Conclusion: The main purpose to use an easy and useful method to synthesize biologically active chalcone.Keywords: Chalcones, Synthesis, Spectral studies, Antimicrobial Activity
2. Cheng MS, Shili R, Kenyon G. A solid phase synthesis of chalcones by claisen-schmidt condensations. Chin Chem Lett 2000;11:851-4.
3. Lim SS, Kim HS, Lee DU. In vitro antimalarial activity of flavonoids and chalcones. Bull Korean Chem Soc 2007;28:2495-7.
4. Ilango K, Valentina P, Saluja G. Synthesis and in vitro anticancer activity of some substituted chalcone derivatives. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1:354-9.
5. Wu MH, Yang XH, Zou WD, Liu WJ, Li C. Refinement of the crystal structure of (E)-1,3-diphenyl-2-propen-1-one, C15H12O. Zeitschrift fÃ¼r Kristallographie 2006;221:323-4.
6. Rahman MA. Chalcone: A valuable insight into the recent advances and potential pharmacological activities. Chem Sci J 2011;29:1-16.
7. Siddiqui AA, Rahman MA, Shaharyar M, Mishra R. Synthesis and anticonvulsant activity of some substituted 3,5-diphenyl-2-pyrazoline-1-carboxamide derivatives. Chem Sci J 2010:CSJ-8.
8. Achanta G, Modzelewska A, Feng L, Khan SR, Huang P. A boronic-chalcone derivative exhibits potent anticancer activity through inhibition of the proteasome. Mol Pharmacol 2006;70:426-33.
9. Romagnoli R, Baraldi PG, Carrion MD, Cara CL, Cruz-Lopez O, Preti D. Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of thiophene analogues of chalcones. Bioorg Med Chem 2008;16:5367-76.
10. Echeverria C, Santibanez JF, Donoso-Tauda O, Escobar CA, Tagle RR. Structural antitumoral activity relationships of synthetic chalcones. Int J Mol Sci 2009;10:221-31.
11. Szliszka E, Czuba ZP, Mazur B, Sedek L, Paradysz A, Krol W. Chalcones enhance TRAIL-induced apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. Int J Mol Sci 2010;11:1-13.
12. Ilango K, Valentina P, Saluja G. Synthesis and in vitro anticancer activity of some substituted chalcone derivatives. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1:354-9.
13. Lunardi F, Guzela M, Rodrigues AT, Corre R, Eger-Mangrich I, Steindel M, et al. Trypanocidal and leishmanicidal properties of substitution-containing chalcones. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2003;47:1449-51.
14. Yadav HL, Gupta P, Pawar PS, Singour PK, Patil UK. Synthesis and biological evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of 1,3-diphenyl propenone derivatives. Med Chem Res 2010;19:1-8.
15. Zhang XW, Zhao DH, Quan YC, Sun LP, Yin XM, Guan LP. Synthesis and evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of substituted chalcone derivatives. Med Chem Res 2010;19:403-12.
16. Hamdi N, Fischmeister C, Puerta MC, Valerga P. A rapid access to new coumarinyl chalcone and substituted chromeno[4,3-c]pyrazol-4(1H)-ones and their antibacterial and DPPH radical scavenging activities. Med Chem Res 2010;19:1-16.
17. Bhatia NM, Mahadik KR, Bhatia MS. QSAR analysis of 1,3-diaryl-2-propen-1-ones and their indole analogs for designing potent antibacterial agents. Chem Papers 2009;63:456-63.
18. Awasthi SK, Mishra N, Dixit SK, Singh A, Yadav M, Yadav SS, et al. Antifilarial activity of 1,3-diarylpropen-1-one: Effect on glutathione-S-transferase, a phase-II detoxification enzyme. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2009;80:764-8.
19. Bag S, Ramar S, Degani MS. Synthesis and biological evaluation of Î±,Î²-unsaturated ketone as potential antifungal agents. Med Chem Res 2009;18:309-16.
20. Lahtchev KL, Batovska DI, Parushev SP, Ubiyvovk VM, Sibirny AA. Antifungal activity of chalcones: a mechanistic study using various yeast strains. Eur J Med Chem 2008;43:2220-8.
21. Yayli N, Ucuncu O, Yasar A, Kucuk M, Akyuz E, Karaoglu SA. Synthesis and biological activities of N-alkyl derivatives of o-, m-, and p-nitro (E)-4-azachalcones and stereoselective photochemistry in solution with theoretical calculations. Turk J Chem 2006;30:505-14.
22. Begum NA, Roy N, Laskar RA, Roy K. Mosquito larvicidal studies of some chalcone analogues and their derived products: structure-activity relationship analysis. Med Chem Res 2010;19:1-14.
23. Kaushik S, Kumar N, Drabu S. Synthesis and anticonvulsant activities of phenoxychalcones. Pharm Res 2010;3:257-62.
24. Vasilâ€™ev RF, Kancheva VD, Fedorova GF, Batovska DI, Trofimov AV. Antioxidant activity of chalcones: The chemiluminescence determination of the reactivity and the quantum chemical calculation of the energies and structures of reagents and intermediates. Kinet Catal 2010; 51:507-15.
25. Sivakumar PM, Prabhakar PK, Doble M. Synthesis, antioxidant evaluation and quantitative structure-activity relationship studies of chalcones. Med Chem Res 2010;19:1-17.
26. Vogel S, Ohmayer S, Brunner G, Heilmann J. Natural and non-natural prenylated chalcones: synthesis, cytotoxicity and anti-oxidative activity. Bioorg Med Chem 2008;16:4286-93.
27. Najafian M, Ebrahim-Habibi A, Hezareh N, Yaghmaei P, Parivar K, Larijani B. Trans-chalcone: a novel small molecule inhibitor of mammalian alpha-amylase. Mol Biol Rep 2010;10:271-4.
28. Zarghi A, Zebardast T, Hakimion F, Shirazi FH, Rao PNP, Knaus EE. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 1,3-diphenylprop-2-en-1-ones possessing a methanesulfonamido or an azido pharmacophore as cyclooxygenase-1/-2 inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:7044-50.
29. Chimenti F, Fioravanti R, Bolasco A, Chimenti P, Secci D, Rossi F, et al. Chalcones: a valid scaffold for monoamine oxidases inhibitors. J Med Chem 2009;10:1-8.
30. H Afaf, El-masry, HH Fahmy, SH Ali. Abdelwahed. Molecules 2000;5:1429-38.