DNA CLEAVAGE, CYTOTOXIC ACTIVITIES, AND ANTIMICROBIAL STUDIES OF SOME NOVEL SCHIFF BASE TRANSITION METAL COMPLEXES DERIVED FROM 4-AMINOANTIPYRINE AND DIHYDROPYRIMIDONE OF VANILLIN
Objective: A novel series of transition metal complexes of Ni(II), Zn(II), Cd(II) and Hg(II) have been synthesized from the Schiff base derived from dihydropyrimidone derivative of vanillin (Biginelli Product) and 4-aminoantipyrine.
Methods: The antimicrobial screening of the ligand and its complexes have been extensively studied on bacterias like E. coli, Vibrio spp., Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeroginosa, Bacillus spp., Vibrio para haemolytic's, Salmonella spp., Aeromonas spp., Klebsiella spp., Proteus spp. and fungi such as Candida albicans, Aspergillus flavus, Pencillium spp., Aspergillus niger, Trichophyton.
Results: The metal complexes show greater activity than ligand. The antimicrobial activity of the complexes follows the order Hg<Zn<Cu. The DNA cleaving activity of Schiff base ligand and its metal complexes was examined using, Hep 2 DNA as a target molecule by gel electrophoresis method. The Cu Complex-induced the DNA fragmentation with a specific activity. The in vitro cytotoxic effect of ligand and complex against Normal VERO and Hep2 was evaluated by MTT assay.
Conclusion: The effect of [CuL2]Cl2 was found to be stronger than the other compounds even at its lower concentrations.
2. Pradeep PS, Shrungesh kumar TO, Prashantha N, Mahadevan KM. Synthesis, Invitro antibacterial, toxicity and molecular docking anticancer activity of novel N-[(2-chloroquinolin-3-yl) methylidene]-2-aniline schiff bases. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:37-46.
3. Singh K, Barwa MS, Tyagi P. Synthesis and characterization of cobalt(II), nickel(II), copper(II) and zinc(II) complexes with Schiff base derived from 4-amino-3-mercapto-6-methyl-5-oxo-1,2,4-triazine. Eur J Med Chem 2007;42:394-402.
4. Chandra S, Sangeetika J. EPR and electronic spectral studies on copper(II) complexes of some N-O donor ligands. J Indian Chem Soc 2004;81:203-6.
5. PG Cozzi. Metalâ€“salen schiff base complexes in catalysis: practical aspects. Chem Soc Rev 2004;33:410.
6. Canpolat E, Kaya M. Studies on mononuclear chelates derived from substituted Schiff-base ligands (part 2): synthesis and characterization of a new 5-bromosalicyliden-pamino acetophenone oxime and its complexes with Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II) and Zn(II). J Coord Chem 2004;57:1217.
7. Usharani M, Akila E, Jayaseelan P, Rajavel R. Structural elucidation of newly synthesized potentially active binuclear schiff base Cu(II), Ni(II), Co(II) and Mn(II) complexes using physicochemical methods. Int J Sci Eng Res 2013;4:1055.
8. Raman N, Sobha S, Mitu L. Design, synthesis, DNA binding ability, chemical nuclease activity and antimicrobial evaluation of Cu(II), Co(II), Ni(II) and Zn(II) metal complexes containing tridentate Schiff base. J Saudi Chem Soc 2013;17:151-9.
9. Kannan D, Arumugham MN. Synthesis, characterisation, DNA-binding studies and antimicrobial activity of copper (II) complex with 1,10 phenanthroline, L-tyrosine and thiourea as ligands. Int J Res Controlled Release 2012;2:10-7.
10. Meenakshi Jain, Madhuri Modi, Maya Agarwal, Hemant Sharma. Synthesis, free radical scavenging and DNA cleavage activities of some novel Indole derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:97-103.
11. Akhil R Chakravarty. Photocleavage of DNA by copper(II) complexes. J Chem Sci 2006;118:443â€“53.
12. Mangaiyarkkarasi P, Arul Antony S. Synthesis, Characterization and biological significance of some novel schiff base transition metal complexes derived from 4-aminoantipyrine and dihydropyrimidine of vanillin. J Appl Chem 2014;3:997-1006.
13. Mangaiyarkkarasi P, Arul Antony S. Synthesis, spectral characterization and antimicrobial studies of some novel schiff base metal complexes of vanillin based dihydropyrimidone heterocyclic product and 4-aminoantipyrine. Asian J Sci Technol 2014;5:340-7.
14. Ananthanarayana R, Panikar CKJ. Textbook of Microbiolgy. Orient Longman Ltd, Chennai; 2000. p. 581.
15. Louds Magdalin Joy A, Reginald Appavoo M. Antibacterial and antifungal activity of strychnos nux vomica seed extract. Int J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:1495-9.
16. Deepak K Rahi, Aruna S Parmar, Vishal Tiwari. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from fungal root endophytes of sida acuta plant and evaluation of their antibacterial and antibiotic enhancing activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:160-6.
17. Davison HC, Low JC, Woolhouse MEJ. What is antibiotic resistance and how can we measure it? Trends Microbiol 2000;8:554-9.
18. Sambrook J, Frtsch EF, Maniatis T. 2nd ed. Molecular cloning-A laboratory manual; 1989.
19. UK Laemmli. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of Bacteriophageâ€T4. Nature 1970;227:680-5.
20. Nagesh GY, Mruthyunjayaswamy BHM. Synthesis, characterization, antimicrobial, DNA cleavage, and in vitro cytotoxic studies of some metal complexes of schiff base ligand derived from thiazole and quinoline moiety. Bioinorg Chem Appl 2014. Doi:10.1155/2014/314963. [Article in Press]
21. Sivakami M, Natarajan B, Vijayachandrasekar M. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of a new mannich base and its metal complexes. Chem Sci Trans 2014;3:1110-4.
22. Ritika M Makhijani, Barhate VD. Synthesis, characterization and study of the microbiological activity of some transition metal ion complexes with [N-(O-methoxy benzaldehyde)-2 â€“amino phenol] (NOMBAP). Int J Curr Pharm Res 2014;6:26-30.
23. Gopal Garg, Ashish Acharya, Kuldeep Patel. Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of some schiff base ligand as antimalarial agents. Int J Biomed Res 2013;4:137-44.
24. Jian LV, Tingting L, Sulan C, Xin W, Lei L, Yongmei W. Synthesis, structure and biological activity of cobalt(II) and copper(II) complexes of valine-derived schiff bases. J Inorg Biochem 2006;100:1888-96.
25. Joseph J, Nagashri K, Ayisha Bibin Rani G. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activities of copper complexes derived from 4-aminoantipyrine derivatives. J Saudi Chem Soc 2013;17:285-94.
26. Agwara MO, Yufanyi MD, Foba-Tendo JN, Atamba MA, Ndinteh DT. Synthesis, characterization and biological activities of Mn(II), Co(II) and Ni(II) complexes of hexamethylenetetramine. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3:196-204.
How to site this article
â€¢ P Mangaiyarkkarasi, S Arulantony. DNA cleavage, cytotoxic activities, and antimicrobial studies of some novel schiff base transition metal complexes derived from 4-aminoantipyrine and dihydropyrimidone of vanillin. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8(3):??