ANTIOXIDANT EFFICACY AND CURCUMIN CONTENT OF TURMERIC (CURCUMA-LONGA L.) FLOWER
Objective: The objective of the work is to evaluate the curcumin content, antioxidant activity and total phenol content of Curcuma longa flower.
Methods: Curcumin content were analyzed through HPLC-PDA analysis. The antioxidant activity of the flower was determined by free radical scavenging activity of DPPH, and the total phenol content was determined using the Folin-Ciocalteu reagent through standard protocols.
Results: The flowers had found about (3.87Â±0.5Âµg/g) of curcumin during HPLC-PDA analysis. The antioxidant activity (DPPH free radicals scavenging activity IC50) of the turmeric flower (3.2 Âµg/ml) was found near to the standard ascorbic acid (2.6 Âµg/ml). In addition to these, a significant amount of phenolics (210.45Â±1.32 mg GAE/100 g) was present in the turmeric flowers.
Conclusion: The flowers of curcuma longa contains a significant amount of curcumin, antioxidant activity and phenol contents.Keywords: Turmeric flower, Curcumin, Antioxidant activity, DPPH, HPLC
2. Maheshwari RK, Singh AK, Gaddipati J, Srimal RC. Multiple biological activities non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. J Pharm Pharmacol 2006;25:447â€“52.
3. Anand PC, Sundaram S, Jhurani AB, Kunnumakkara, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin and cancer: an â€œold-ageâ€ disease with an â€œage-oldâ€ solution. Cancer Lett 2008;267:133â€“64.
4. Chane-Ming J, Vera R, Chalchat JC, Cabassu P. Chemical composition of essential oils from rhizomes, leaves and flowers of curcuma longa L. from Reunion Island. J Essent Oil Res 2002;1;14:249-51.
5. He XG, Lin LZ, Lian LZ, Lindernmaier M. Liquid chromatography-electrospray mass spectrometric analysis of curcuminoids and sesquiterpenoids in turmeric (Curcuma longa). J Chromatogr A 1988;818:127-32.
6. Jayaprakasha GK, Rao JM, Sakariah KK. Improved HPLC methods for the determination of curcumin, desmethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:3668-72.
7. Sharififar F, Moshafi MH, Mansouri SH, Khodashenas M, Khoshnoodi M. In vitro evaluation of antibacterial and antioxidant activities of the essential oil and methanol extract of endemic Zatariamultiflora Boiss. Food Control 2007;18:800â€“5.
8. Gholivand MB, Rahimi-Nasrabadi M, Batooli H, Ebrahimabadi AH. Chemical composition and antioxidant activities of the essential oil and methanol extracts of Psammogeton canescens. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:24â€“8.
9. Velioglu YS, Mazza G, Gao L, Oomah BD. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. J Agric Food Chem 1998;46:4113-7.
10. Yan SW, Asmah R. Comparison of total phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of turmeric leaf, pandan leaf and torch ginger flower. Int Food Res J 2010;17:417-23.
11. Wu C, Huang M, Lin Y, Ju H, Ching H. Antioxidant properties of Cortex fraxini and its simple coumarins. Food Chem 2007;104:1464â€“71.
12. Khattak K, Simpson T, Ihasunullah A. Effect of gamma irradiation on the extraction yield, total phenolic content and free radical-scavenging activity of Nigella Sativa seed. Food Chem 2008;110:967-72.