IN VITRO ANTICANCER ACTIVITY OF 5â€™ FLUO URACIL COATED CHITOSAN NANOPARTICLE
Objective: 5â€™ Fluorouracil (5â€™FU) loaded chitosan nanoparticle (5FCN) was synthesized and tested for its anticancer activity against Hep G2, the liver cancer cell line.
Methods: The morphological characteristic of the 5FCN was visualized in Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).
Results: The 5FCN revealed an IC50 value of 49.50 Âµl/ml. The study revealed that the 5FCN exhibited excellent anticancer activity against Hep G2 cell line which can be further studied for its application in cancer treatment.
Conclusion: Further studies would be focused onto report the drug release efficiency under different physiological conditions and evaluate them in animal model.
2. Estanqueiro M, Amaral MH, Conceic J, Lobo JMS. Nanotechnological carriers for cancer chemotherapy: the state of the art. Colloids Surf B 2015;126:631â€“48.
3. Elkholi IE, Hazem NM, ElKashef WF, Sobh MA, Shaalan D, Sobh M, et al. Evaluation of the anti-cancer potential of capsaicin-loaded trimethyl chitosan-based nanoparticles in HepG2 hepatocarcinoma cells. J Nanomed Nanotechnol 2014;5:6.
4. Couvreur. Polycyanoacrylate nanocapsules as potential lysosomotropic carrierâ€“preparation, morphological and sorptive properties. J Pharm Pharmacol 1979;31:331-2.
5. Langer R, Folkman. Polymers for the sustained release of proteins and other macromolecules. J Nature 1976;263:797â€“800.
6. Gref R, Minamitake Y, Peracchia MT, Trubetskoy V, Torchilin V, Langer R. Biodegradable long-circulating polymeric nanospheres. Science 1994;263:1600â€“3.
7. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
8. Zhu XL, Du YZ, Yu RS, Liu P, Shi D, Chen Y, et al. Galactosylated chitosan oligosaccharide nanoparticles for hepatocellular carcinoma cell-targeted delivery of adenosine triphosphate. Int J Mol Sci 2013;14:15755-66.
9. Anitha A, Deepa N, Chennazhi KP, Lakshmanan V, Jayakumar R. Combinatorial anticancer effects of curcumin and 5-fluorouracil loaded thiolated chitosan nanoparticles towards colon cancer treatment. Biochim Biophys Acta 2014a;1840:2730â€“43.
10. Anitha A, Sreeranganathan M, Chennazhi KP, Lakshmanan VK, Jayakumar R. In vitro combinatorial anticancer effects of 5-fluorouracil and curcumin loaded N, O-carboxymethyl chitosan nanoparticles toward colon cancer and in vivo pharmacokinetic studies. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2014b;88:238-51.
11. Benito-Miguel M, M Dolores Blanco, Clara GÃ³mez. Assessment of sequential combination of 5-fluorouracil-loaded-chitosan-nanoparticles and ALA-photodynamic therapy on HeLa cell line. Photodiagn Photodyn Ther 2015;12:466-75.
12. Nivethaa EAK, Dhanavel S, Rebekah A, Narayanan V, Stephen A. A comparative study of 5-Fluorouracil release from chitosan/silver and chitosan/silver/MWCNT nanocomposites and their cytotoxicity towards MCF-7. Mater Sci Eng 2016;66:244-50.
13. Rajan M, V Raj V, Al-Arfaj AA, Murugan AM. Hyaluronidase enzyme core-5-Fluorouracil-loaded chitosan-PEGâ€“gelatin polymer nanocomposites as targeted and controlled drug delivery vehicles. Int J Pharm 2013;453:514-22.
14. David KI, Jaidev LR, Sethuraman S, Krishnan UM. Dual drug loaded chitosan nanoparticlesâ€”sugar-coated arsenal against pancreatic cancer. Colloids Surf B 2015;135:689â€“98.
15. Chen G, Gong R. Study on fluorouracilâ€“chitosan nanoparticle preparation and its antitumor effect. Saudi Pharm J 2016;24:250â€“3.
16. Rejinold NS, Chennazhia KP, Naira SV, Tamurab H, Jayakumar R. Biodegradable and thermosensitive chitosan-g-poly(N-vinyl caprolactam) nanoparticles as a 5-fluorouracil carrier. Carbohy Polym 2011;83:776â€“86.
17. Martino AD, Pavelkova A, Maciulyte S, Budriene S, Sedlarik V. polysaccharide-based nano-complexes for co-encapsulation and controlled release of 5-fluorouracil and temozolomide. Eur J Pharm Sci 2016;92:276-86.
18. Bwatanglang IB, Mohammad F, Yusof NZ, Abdullah J, Alitheen NB, Hussein MZ, et al. In vivo tumor targeting and anti-tumor effects of 5-fluororacil loaded, folic acid targeted quantum dot system. J Colloid Interface Sci 2016;480:146â€“58.