EVALUATION OF CYTOTOXIC ACTIVITY AND ANTHELMINTIC PROPERTY OF CHLOROFORM EXTRACT OF CLITORIA TERNATEA L.
Objective: The objective of the present work was to evaluate the phytochemical study, cytotoxic activity and anthelmintic property of the whole plant chloroform extract of Clitoria ternatea L.
Methods: The chloroform extract was tested for protein, amino acids. alkaloids, glycosides, flavonoids, tannins, steroids, saponins. The in vitro cytotoxic activity of chloroform extract was performed by MTT assay method against HepG2 (Liver carcinoma), HeLa (Cervix carcinoma) cell lines. 25, 50 and 100 mg/ml concentration of chloroform extract of Clitoria ternatea L. whole plant were taken for performing anthelmintic activity against adult Indian earthworm Pheritima posthuma.
Results: The preliminary phytochemical tests revealed that chloroform extract of Clitoria ternatea L. contains amino acids, alkaloids, glycosides, flavonoids, tannins, saponins, steroids. Effect of inhibition of cell growth showed significant cytotoxicity against HepG2 with an IC50 of 110.00Â±1.9 Î¼g/ml and against HeLa with an IC50 of 104.50Â±0.9Î¼g/ml. The crude chloroform extract (25, 50, 150 mg/ml concentration) of Clitoria ternatea L. whole plant shows potent anthelmintic activity against Pheritima posthuma.Conclusion: The present study concluded that Clitoria ternatea L. can be considered as an important source of natural products that have anti-cancer potentials and potent anthelmintic activity.
2. Barnes S. Effect of genistein on in vitro and in vivo models of cancer. J Nutr 1995;125 Suppl 3:777-83.
3. El-Gendy AR. Regional overview: eastern mediterranean region. WHO Global Atlas on Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, WHO Centre for Health and Development, Kobe; 2005. p. 153â”€8.
4. Farnsworth N. Screening Plants for New Medicines, Biodiversity. National Academy Press: Washington DC; 1988. p. 83â”€97.
5. McLaughlin JL. Bench-top bioassay for the discovery of bioactive compounds in higher plants. Brenesa 1990;34:1-14.
6. Fantz PR. Ethnobotany of Clitoria (Leguminosae). Economic Botany 1991;45:511â€“20.
7. Mukherjee PK, Kumar V, Kumar NS, Heinrich M. The ayurvedic medicine Clitoria ternatea from traditional use to scientific assessment. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;120:291-301.
8. Das B, Reddy VS, Krishnaiah M, Sharma AVS, Ravi Kumar K, Rao JV, et al. Acetylated pseudo guaianolides from Parthenium hysterophorus and their cytotoxic activity. Phytochemistry 2007;68:2029â€“34.
9. Kumar GS, Jayaveera KN, Kumar CK, Sanjay UP, Swamy BM, Kumar DV. Antimicrobial effects of Indian medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria. Trop J Pharm Res 2007;6:717-23.
10. Parekh J, Chanda SV. In vitro antimicrobial activity and phytochemical analysis of some Indian medicinal plants. Turk J Biol 2007;31:53-8.
11. Edeoga HO, Okwu DE, Mbaebie BO. Phytochemical constituents of some Nigerian medicinal plants. Afr J Biotechnol 2005;4:685-8.
12. Akinyemi KO, Oladapo O, Okwara CE, Ibe CC, Fasure KA. Screening of crude extracts of six medicinal plants used in South-West Nigerian unorthodox medicine for anti-methicilin resistant Staphylococcus aureus activity. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2005;5:6.
13. Dahiru D, Onubiyi JA, Umaru, HA. Phytochemical screening and antiulcerogenic effect of Mornigo oleifera aqueous leaf extract. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2006;3:70-5.
14. Harborne JB. Phytochemical Methods. 2nd ed. New York, London: Springer, Chapman and Hall; 1984. p. 288.
15. Wagner H, Baldt S, Zgainski EM. Plant drug analysis. Berlin/New York: Springer-Verlag; 1984.
16. Francis D, Rita L. Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival: modification to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability. J Immunol Methods 1986;89:271-7.
17. Ali HA, Orooba NHA, Khulood WA. Cytotoxic effects of Agrimonia eupatoria L. against cancer cell lines in vitro. J Assoc Arab Univ Basic Appl Sci 2013;14:87-92.
18. Kanthal LK, Dey Akalanka, Satyavathi K, Bhojaraju P. Cytotoxic activity of Lactuca Runcinata DC and Gyrocarpus Asiaticus willd on cancer cell lines in vitro. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:457-60.
19. Kanthal LK, Dey Akalanka, Satyavathi K, Bhojaraju P. Evaluation of anthelmintic activity of Gyrocarpus asiaticus willd and Lactuca runcinata dc on the Pheritima, posthuma model. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:273-5.