COLLAGEN FROM SQUID AND ITS BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITY
Collagen is the sole protein found predominantly in the animal kingdom. The main source of collagen which had been land animals previously is being replaced by other alternative sources due to certain health related, religious and social concerns. Thus additional reliable, safer and productive options for collagen extraction have been studied extensively since then. Its wide-ranging application, especially in the biomedical and cosmetic field, is also a basis for its study to have become a topic of interest among the researchers. Isolation of collagen from the processing wastes of marine organisms has been receiving a lot of attention recently due to the promising outcome it brings forth. In the current review, we have focused upon squid, mainly its processing waste, as an alternative source of collagen including the studies carried out on the same to a certain extent.
2. Voet D, Voet JG. Biochemistry. New York: John Wiley and sons; 1995.
3. Cho SY, Klemke RL. Extracellular-regulated kinase activation and Cas/Crk coupling regulate cell migration and suppress apoptosis during the invasion of the extracellular matrix. J Cell Biol 2000;149:223â€“36.
4. Lee C, Singla A, Lee Y. Biomedical applications of collagen. Int J Pharm 2001;221:1-22.
5. Glowacki J, Mizuno S. Collagen scaffolds for tissue engineering. Biopolymers 2008;89:338â€“44.
6. Yonath A, Traub W. Polymers of tripeptides as collagen models: IV. Structure analysis of poly(L-prolyl-glycyl-L-proline). J Mol Biol 1969;43:461.
7. GÃ³mez-GuillÃ©n MC, LÃ³pez-Caballero ME, AlemÃ¡n A, LÃ³pez de Lacey A, GimÃ©nez B, Montero P. Antioxidant and antimicrobial peptide fractions from squid and tuna skin gelatin. Sea By-Products as Real Material: New Ways of Application; 2010. p. 89-115.
8. Ledward DA. Gelation of gelatin. In: Mitchell JR, Ledward DA. ed. Functional Properties of Food Macromolecules. London: Elsevier; 1986. p. 171-201.
9. Uriarte Montoya MH, Arias Moscoso JL, Plascencia Jatomea M, Santacruz Ortega H, Rouzaud SÃ¡ndez O, Cardenas Lopez JL, et al. Jumbo squid (Dosidicusgigas) mantle collagen: extraction, characterization, and potential application in the preparation of chitosan-collagen biofilms. Bioresour Technol 2010;101:4212-9.
10. WichudaJankangram, Sunthorn Chooluck, Busarakum Pomthong. Comparison of the properties of collagen extracted from dried jellyfish and dried squid. Afr J Biotechnol 2016;15:642-8.
11. Silvipriya KS, Krishna Kumar K, Bhat AR, Dinesh Kumar B, Anish John, Panayappanlakshmanan. Collagen: animal sources and biomedical application. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5:123-7.
12. Se-Kwon Kim, Eresha Mendis. Bioactive compounds from marine processing byproductsâ€“a review. Food Res Int 2006;39:383-93.
13. Chi Lee H, Anuj Singla, Yugyung Lee. Biomedical applications of collagen. Int J Pharm 2001;221:1â€“22.
14. Jongjareonrak A, Benjakul S, Visessanguan W, Nagai T, Tanaka M. Isolation and characterization of acid and pepsin-solubilised collagens from the skin of brown stripe red snapper (Lutjanusvitta). Food Chem 2005;93:475-84.
15. Subramanian A, Lin HY. Crosslinked chitosan: its physical properties and the effects of matrix stiffness on chondrocyte cell morphology and proliferation. J Biomed Mater Res 2008;75A:742-53.
16. Sugiura H, Yunoki S, Kondo E, Ikoma T, Tanaka J, Yasuda K. In vivo biological responses and bio-resorption of tilapia scale collagen as a potential biomaterial. J Biomater Sci Polymer 2009;20:1353-68.
17. Song E, Yeon Kim, Chun T, Byun HJN, Lee YM. Collagen scaffolds derived from a marine source and their biocompatibility. Biomaterials 2006;27:2951-95.
18. Strawich E, Nimni ME. Properties of a collagen molecule containing three identical components extracted from bovine articular cartilage. Biochemistry 1971;10:3905-11.
19. Falguni P, Adhikari B, Dhara S. Isolation and characterization of fish scale collagen of higher thermal stability. Bioresource Technol 2010;101:3737â€“42.
20. Rigby BJ. Amino acid composition and thermal stability of the skin collagen of the antarctic icefish. Nature 1968;219:166-7.
21. Ezquerra Brauer JM, Uriarte Montoya MH, Arias Moscoso JL, PlascenciaJatomea M. By-products from jumbo squid (Dosidicusgigas): a new source of collagen bio-plasticizer? In: Luqman M. ed. Recent advances in plasticizers; 2012. p. 19â€“44.
22. Yata M, Yoshida C, Fujisawa S, Mizuta S, Yoshinaka R. Identification and characterization of molecular species of collagen in the fish skin. J Food Sci 2001;66:247â€“51.
23. Sikorski ZE, KoÅ‚odziejska I. The composition and properties of squid meat. Food Chem 1986;20:213-24.
24. Torres Arreola W, Pacheco-Aguilar R, Sotelo-Mundo RR, Rouzaud SÃ¡ndez O, Ezquerra-Brauer JM. Partial characterization of collagen from mantle, fin, and arms of jumbo squid (Dosidicusgigas) Cienc. Tecnol Aliment 2008;6:101-8.
25. Nam KA, You SG, Kim SM. Molecular and physical characteristics of Squid (Todarodespacificus) skin collagens and biological properties of their enzymatic hydrolysates. J Food Sci 2008;73:C249-55.
26. Shohshi Mizuta, Reiji Yoshinaka, Mamoru Sato, Yoshiaki Itoh, Morihiko Sakaguchi. Subunit composition of two distinct types of collagen in the muscle of the squid todarode-spacificus. Fisheries Sci 1994;60:597-602.
27. Cozza N, Bonani W, Motta A, Migliaresi C. Evaluation of alternative sources of collagen fractions from Loligo vulgaris squid mantle. Int J Biol Macromol 2016;87:504-13.
28. Ladan Delphi, Houri Sepehri, Elaheh Motevaseli, Mohammad Reza Khorramizadeh. Collagen extracted from persian gulf squid exhibits anti-cytotoxic properties on apple pectic treated cells: assessment in an in vitro bioassay model. Iran J Public Health 2016;45:1054-63.
29. Mingyan Yan, Bafang Li, Xue Zhao. Isolation and characterization of collagen from squid (Ommastrephesbartrami) skin. J Ocean University China 2009;8:191-6.
30. Nagai T. Collagen from diamondback squid (Thysanoteuthis rhombus) outer skin. Z. Naturforsch 2004;59c:271-5.
31. Ilona KoÅ‚odziejska. The composition and properties of squid meat. Food Chem 1986;20:213-24.
32. Torres Arreola W, Pacheco Aguilar R, Sotelo Mundo RR, Rouzaud SÃ¡ndez O. Ezquerrabrauerjm partial characterization of collagen from mantle, fin, and arms of jumbo squid (Dosidicusgigas). Ciencia Y TecnologÃa Alimentaria 2008;6:101-8.
33. Guadalupe Miroslava SuÃ¡rez Jimenez, Rosario Maribel Robles SÃ¡nches, GlÃ³ria Yepiz Plascencia, Armando Burgos HernÃ¡ndez, Josafat Marina Ezquerra Brauer. In vitro antioxidant, antimutagenic and antiproliferative activities of collagen hydrolysates of jumbo squid (Dosidicusgigas) byproducts. Food Sci Technol 2015;35:1-8.