DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A HPTLC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS DENSITOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF GLYCYRRHETIC ACID AND SOLASODINE IN HERBAL DRUG FORMULATION
Objective: To develop and validate a simple, precise, selective, and accurate high-performance thin layer chromatographic method for simultaneous densitometric analysis of glycyrrhetic acid and solasodine in the polyherbal formulation.
Methods: The method was developed using HPTLC silica gel GF254precoated aluminium plate as the stationary phase and Chloroform: Methanol (9:1 v/v) as the mobile phase. Quantization of glycyrrhetic acid was achieved by determining the area under the curve at 267 nm using CAMAG TLC Scanner and CATS 3 software. Since the structure of solasodine lacks conjugated double bond, it does not give any fluorescence either in the absorbance mode or reflectance mode hence solasodine was derivatized using 0.5%anisaldehyde sulphuric acids which gave a bluish spot as seen on TLC plate. These spots were scanned at 546 nm wavelength using CAMAG TLC Scanner and CATS 3 software.
Results: The retention factor for glycyrrhetic acid and solasodine were found to be 0.52Â±0.01, 0.40Â±0.01% w/w respectively. The developed HPTLC method was validated using parameters described in International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guideline. The proposed method showed good linearity in the range of 400-2000 ng spot-1 for glycyrrhetic acid as well as for solasodine. The content of glycyrrhetic acid and solasodine in marketed polyherbal formulation were found to be 0.67%Â±0.8 and 0.10Â±0.35%w/w respectively.
Conclusion: The developed method can be used as quality control tool for the routine analysis of glycyrrhetic acid and solasodine in polyherbal formulation.
2. Ram A, Bhattacharya I, Das M, Ghosh B, Gangal SV. Evaluation of glycyrrhizin, a compound isolated from Glycyrrhiza glabra for the anti-asthmatic activity using a mouse model of asthma. Indian J Aerobiol 2001;14:42.
3. Subharani K. Chemical constituents and medicinal properties of Solanumxanthocarpum: a review. Int J Sci Res 2016;5:824-6.
4. Bector NP, Puri AS. Solanum Xanthocarpum (Kantakari) in chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma and non-specific unproductive cough. J Assoc Physicians India 1971;19:741-4.
5. Rathee P, Rathee S, Ahuja D. Simultaneous quantification of glycyrrhetinic acid and apigenin using HPTLC from Glycyrrhiza glabra Linn. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2010;5:95-103.
6. Trivedi A, Mishra SH. A simple and rapid method for simultaneous estimation of glycyrrhetinic acid and piperine by HPTLC in the herbomineral formulation. J Adv Pharm Tech Res 2010;1:190-8.
7. Vampa G, Benvenuti S. Separation of 18Î±-and 18ÃŸ-glycyrrhetinic acid by high-performance thin-layer chromatographic densitometry. J Chromatography 1991;543:479-82.
8. Esmaeili S, Naghibi F, Mosaddegh M, Nader N. Determination of 18 ÃŸ-glycyrrhetinic acids in Glycyrrhiza glabra L. extract by HPLC. Iranian J Pharm Res 2006;5:137-41.
9. Zhou S, Zhang X, Duan X, Mei H. HPLC determination of glycyrrhizic acid andglycyrrhetinic acid in weiyanning granules. Biomed Res 2015;26:311-4.
10. Shanker K, Gupta S, Shrivastava P, Shrivastava SK, Sing SC, Gupta MM. Simultaneous determination of three steroidal glycoalkaloids in Solanum xanthocarpum by high-performance thin layer chromatography. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2011;54:497â€“502.
11. Trivedi P, Pundarikakshudu K. Novel TLC densitometric method for quantification of solasodine in various Solanum species, market samples and formulations. Chromatogr 2006;65:239â€“43.
12. Kittipongpatana N, Porter JR, Hock RS. An improved high performance liquid chromatographic method for the quantification of solasodine. Phytochem Anal 1999;10:26â€“31.
13. Trivedi PD, Patel BC, Rathnam SB, Pundarikakshudu K. A validated a liquid chromatographic method for estimation of solasodine in various Solanum species and market formulations. J AOAC Int 2006;89:1519-23.
14. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1), Nov; 2005.