COMPARISON BETWEEN DEXAMETHASONE AND COOL JAW WRAP ON POSTOPERATIVE PAIN AFTER SURGICAL REMOVAL OF LOWER WISDOM TEETH
Objective: The aim is to compare between the effect of cool jaw wraps and dexamethasone injection on postoperative pain and evaluate the quality of life after surgical removal of lower wisdom tooth.
Methods: Extraction of impacted lower third molar will surgically operate (by the same difficulty of surgical extraction and same operator) on 30 patients, which divide into three groups, each group have 10 patients.
We will instruct the patients in cool jaw wrap group to put cool jaw wrap after the operation. While the second group give dexamethasone injection after the operation. The last group which is the control group will left them with the usual instruction postoperatively.
This study evaluates the facial pain, swelling, and trismus on days 1,2 and 7 postoperatively. Objective measurements of swelling, pain, and trismus were undertaken at days 1, 2 and 7. The quality of life questionnaire was estimated at day 7 postoperatively.Results: Cool jaw wrap showed no significant differences on the postoperative pain when it used after surgical removal of the lower third molar BUT have significant differences on the Quality of life of patients.
Conclusion: Cool jaw face wrap can be recommended as a safe method that participates in some degree to reduce postoperative pain, it easy to handle, comfort, avoiding damage by freezing due to the barrier between cool jaw and skin and the patient can avoid the side effect of dexamethasone and the phobia from the injection.
2. Saheeb BD, Obuekwe ON. An audit of mandibular third molar surgery. Nig J Surg Res 2001;3:66-74.
3. Ogini FO, Ugboko VI, Assam E, Ogunbodede EO. Postoperative complaints following impacted mandibular third molar surgery in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. South Afr Dent J 2002;57:264-8.
4. McGrath C, Comfort MB, Lo EC, Luo Y. Changes in quality of life following third molar surgery-the immediate postoperative period. Br Dent J 2003;194:265-8.
5. Bamgbose BO, Akinwande JA, Adeyemo WL, Ladeinde AL, Arotiba GT, et al. Effects of co-administered dexamethasone and diclofenac potassium on pain, swelling and trismus following third molar surgery. Head Face Med 2005;1:11:1-11.
6. Ordulu M, Aktas I, Yalcin S. Comparative study of tube drainage versus methylprednisolone after third molar surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oralradiol Endod 2006;101:96-100.
7. Bonnefont J, Courade JP, Alloui A, Eschalier A. Antinociceptive mechanism of action of paracetamol. Drugs 2003;63:1-4.
8. Chopra D, Rehan HS, Mehra P, Kakkar AK. A randomised double-blind, placebo-controlled study comparing the efficacy and safety of paracetamol, serratiopeptidase, ibuprofen and betamethasone using the dental impaction pain model. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;38:350Â¬5.
9. SalmerÃ³n-Escobar JI, del Amo-FernÃ¡ndez de Velasco A. Antibiotic prophylaxis in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2006;11:E292-6.
10. Sortino F, Messina G, Pulvirenti G. Evaluation of postoperative mucosa and skin temperature after surgery of impacted third molars. Minerva Stomatol 2003;52:393-9.
11. Markovoric A, Todovoric LJ. Effectiveness of dexamethasone and low-power laser in minimizing oedema after third molar surgery: a clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007;36:226-9.
12. www.cooljaw.com; 2012. [Last accessed on 20 Dec 2017]
13. Grossi GB, MD Maiorana C, Garramone RA, Borgonovo A, Creminelli L, Santoro F. Assessing postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007b;65:901-17.
14. Hubbard TJ, Denegar CR. Does cryotherapy improve outcomes with soft tissue injury? J Athl Train 2004;39:278.
15. Forouzanfar T, Sabelis A, Ausems S. Effect of ice compression on pain after mandibular third molar surgery: a single-blind, randomized controlled trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008;37:824.
16. Greenstein G. Therapeutic efficacy of cold therapy after intraoral surgical procedures: a literature review. J Periodontol 2007;78:790Y-800.