SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF THIOCOLCHICOSIDE AND ACECLOFENAC BY HPTLC
Objective: Therefore the aim of the present work was to develop simple, precise and accurate HPTLC method for simultaneous determination of THIO and ACE in pharmaceutical dosage form and application of the method for dissolution study with help of HPTLC method.
Methods: The TLC procedure was optimized in view to develop a simultaneous assay method for THIO and ACE. HPTLC Pre-coated plates silica gel 60 F254 20Ã—10 cm, layer thickness 0.2 mm (Merck, Germany). The samples were spotted in the form of bands (8 mm) with a Camag 100 microliter sample (Hamilton) syringe on silica gel precoated aluminium 60F254 plates. The mobile phase consisted of methanol: chloroform: water (9.6: 0.2: 0.2 v/v/v) and 10 ml of mobile phase were used per chromatography run. Plates were scanned over the range of 200-400 nm and the spectra were overlain.
Results: The detector response was found to be linear in the concentration range of 0.03-0.180 Âµg/band and 0.75-4.5 Âµg/band for THIO and ACE and noting the peak areas. Accuracy of the assay method was evaluated with the recovery of the standards from excipients. The mean percentage recoveries obtained for THIO and ACE were 99.34% and 99.08%, respectively, reported. The peak purity of both drugs was assessed by comparing the respective spectra of standard drugs and samples at peak start, peak apex and peak end positions of the spot.
Conclusion: HPTLC, with its advantage of low operating cost, high sample thought and minimum sample preparation need is now days preferred as routine analytical techniques for control and assurance. The validated HPTLC method employed here proved to be simple, fast, accurate, precise and sensitive, thus can be used for routine analysis of Thiocolchicoside and Aceclofenac in tablet dosage form.
2. Prasanna Reddy, Battuand MS Reddy. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and ibuprofen in tablets. Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:70-2.
3. Frank Settle. Handbook of instrumental techniques for analytical chemistry. NJ: Prentice Hall PTR; 1997. p. 17, 19, 56, 57.
4. Sohan S Chitlange, Pradeep S Shinde, Ganesh R Pawbake, Sagar B Wankhede. Simultaneous estimation of thiocolchicoside and aceclofenac in pharmaceutical dosage form by the spectrophotometric and LC method. Pharm Lett 2010;2:86-93.
5. DA Skoog, FJ Holler, A Timothy, NW Nieman. The principle of instrumental analysis. 5th ed. Eastern Press: Banglore; 2004. p. 1-2, 678-88, 695-6.
6. B Gowramma, S Rajan, S Muralidharan, SN Meyyanathan, B Suresh. A validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and diclofenac potassium in a pharmaceutical formulation. Int J ChemTech Res 2010;2:676-80.
7. BK Sharma. Instrumental methods of chemical analysis. 21st ed. Goel Publishing House, Meerut; 2002. p. 3-5, 10.
8. R Joshi, R Sharma. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of three-component tablet formulation containing Acetaminophen, Chlorzoxazone, and Aceclofenac. Anal Lett 2008;41:3297â€“308.
9. RY Bauman. Absorption Spectroscopy, Wiley-Interscience, New York; 1975. p. 405, 569.
10. Godse VP, Deodhar MN, Bhosale AV, Sonawane RA, Sakpal PS, Borkar DD, et al. Reverse phase HPLC method for determination of aceclofenac and paracetamol in tablet dosage form. Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:387-8.
11. G Davidson. Practical pharmaceutical chemistry. 4th ed. Vol. 2. CBS Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi; 1997. p. 275-300.
12. Hye Suk Lee, Chang Kyun Jeong, Sung Jin Choi, Sang Beom Kim, Mi-Hyun Lee, Geon Il Ko, et al. Simultaneous determination of aceclofenac and diclofenac in human plasma by narrow bore HPLC using column-switching. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2000;23:775â€“81.
13. RPW Scott. Technique and practice of chromatography. Marcel dekker, New York; 1995. p. 70, 1-12.
14. NH Zawilla, M Abdul Azim Mohammad, NM El Kousy, SM El-Moghazy Aly. Determination of aceclofenac in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;27:243â€“25.
15. Wagner H, Bladt S, Zgainski M. Plant drug analysis: a thin layer Chromatographic atlas, spring verlag, New York; 1984. p. 30.
16. KA Shaikh, AB Devkhile. Simultaneous determination of aceclofenac, paracetamol, and chlorzoxazone by RP-HPLC in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Chromatogr Sci 2008;46:649-52.