FORMULATION AND IN VITRO EVALUATION OF POLY-HERBAL ANTI-AGEING FACE CREAM OF CORIANDRUM SATIVUM AND ROSE HIP OIL
Objective: The purpose of this study was to develop anti-ageing poly-herbal face cream by mixing the ethanol extract of C. sativum and rose hip oil in order to produce multipurpose effects on the skin such as fairness, softening and antiseptic effects.
Methods: Ageing of the skin is the result of continuous "wear and tear" processes. Chronological skin aging is a universal and inevitable process, while in contrast, photoaging results from the UV rays of sunlight, and the damage becomes apparent in sun-exposed skin. Cream is defined as semisolid emulsions which may be oil-in-water (o/w) or water-in-oil (w/o) type and these semisolid emulsions are meant for external applications. In this study creams (o/w type) were formulated based on the anti-oxidant potential of herbal extracts and its evaluation. Coriandrum sativum plant extracted by using soxhlet method with water as solvent. The creams were formulated with coriander oil, rose hip oil with different concentrations namely F1 to F6.
Results: The creams were to be stable during stability studies accordingly ICH guideline for 2 mo. Coriandrum sativum extract showed significant anti-oxidant activity with an IC50 value is 34.25 Î¼g/ml, while for ascorbic acid the IC50 value was 46.68Î¼g/ml.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that herbal creams without side effects having antioxidant property can be used as provision of a barrier to protect the skin and avoid aging of the skin.
2. Das T, Debnath J, Nath B, Dash S. Formulation and evaluation of a herbal cream for wound healing activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:693-7.
3. Alfredo G, Sarita MC, Veronica C, Samuel MRN, Silvana AACN, Lydia MF. Review of major theories of skin ageing. Adv Aging Res 2014;3:265-84.
4. Bhumika S, Arvind S. Future prospect of nanotechnology in the development of anti-ageing formulations. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:57-66.
5. Clarence T Ueda (Chair), Vinod P Shah (USP Scientific Liaison). Topical and transdermal drug products. Pharmacopeial Forum 2009;35:750-64.
6. Surya PM, Santhosh AM, Gulshan MD, Raghavamma STV, Rama RN. Formulation and evaluation of anti-aging polyherbal cream. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;24:133-6.
7. Ravichandran G, Derm M, Shivaram B, Dip NB. Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of â€˜Anti-Wrinkle creamâ€™ in the treatment of facial skin wrinkles. A prospective, open, phase III clinical trial. Antiseptic 2005;102:75-70.
8. Mayank Gangwar, Manish Kumar Gautam, Amit Kumar Sharma, Yamini B Tripathi, RK Goel, Gopal Nath. Antioxidant capacity and radical scavenging effect of polyphenol-rich mallotusphilippenensis fruit extract on human erythrocytes: an in vitro study. Sci World J 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2014/279451.
9. Ruiz MA, Clares B, Morales ME, Gallardo V. Evaluation of the anti-wrinkle efficacy of cosmetic formulations with an anti-aging peptide (Argireline). ARS Pharm 2010;50:168-76.
10. Sujith SN, Molly M, Sreena K. Formulation and evaluation of herbal cream containing curcuma longa. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1:1362-8.
11. Duraivel S, Asma S, Rabbani B, Eesaf P, Jilani. Formulation and evaluation of antiwrinkle activity of cream and nanoemulsion of moringaoleifera seed oil. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;9:58-73.
12. Indian Pharmacopoeia: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Published by the Indian Pharmacopoeial commission: Ghaziabad; 2010.
13. United States Pharmacopoeia. The US pharmacopoeial convention. 35th edn. Inc.12601 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville MD20852; 2007.
14. Sheraz MA, Ahmed S, Ahmad I, Shaikh RH, Vaid FHM, Iqbal K. Formulation and stability of ascorbic acid in topical preparations. Syst Rev Pharm 2011;2:86-90.
15. Singhal M, Khanna S, Nasa A. Cosmeceuticals for the skin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:1-6.
16. Akash S, Mali, Karekar P, Yadav AV. Formulation and evaluation of multipurpose herbal cream. Int J Sci Res 2015;4:1495-8.
17. S Bhat, P Kaushal, M Kaur, HK Sharma. Coriander (Coriandrumsativum L.) processing, nutritional and functional aspects. Acad J 2014;8:25-33.