PRELIMINARY PHYTOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS AND IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF ARAUCARIA COLUMNARIS BARK PEEL AND COSMOS SULPHUREUS FLOWERS
Objective: Four different extracts of Araucaria columnaris (bark peel) and Cosmos sulphureus (flowers) were screened for their phytochemical composition, and free radical scavenging activities.
Methods: DPPH method was used to test the antioxidant activity for extracts.
Results: Among the different extracts tested, the methanol extract of both the plant species showed significant radical scavenging activities. Phytochemical analysis of the extracts revealed that the radical scavenging activities might be due to the presence of flavonoids, tannins and phenolic compounds.Conclusion: The results obtained suggest that Araucaria columnaris (bark peel) and Cosmos sulphureus(flowers) could be exploited in the treatment of various diseases like cancer, cardiovascular diseases and infection diseases.Â
2. Bendiabdellah A, Dib MEA, Meliani N, Djabou N, Allali H, Tabti B. Preliminary phytochemical screening and antioxidant activities of solvent extracts from Daucuscrinitus desf, from Algeria. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:92-5.
3. Oluwaseun AA, Ganiyu O. Antioxidant properties of methanolic extracts of mistletoes (Viscum album) from cocoa and cashew trees in Nigeria. Afr J Biotech 2008;7:3138-42.
4. Sarrafchi A, Bahmani M, Shirzad H, Rafieian-Kopaei M. Oxidative stress and Parkinson's disease: new hopes in treatment with herbal antioxidants. Curr Pharm Design 2016;22:1-9.
5. Pavithra GM, Siddiqua S, Naik AS, Prashith KTR, Vinayaka KS. The antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of flowers of Wendlandiathyrsoidea Olea dioica Lagerstroemia speciose and Bombaxmalabaricum. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:114â€“20.
6. Aliyu AB, Musa AM, Ibrahim MA, Ibrahim H, Oyewale AO. Preliminary phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity of leaves extract of Albizia Chevalieri harms (Leguminoseae-mimosoideae). Bayero J Pure Appl Sci 2009;2:149-53.
7. Lu Y, Knoo T, Wiart C. Phytochemical analysis and antioxidant activity determination on crude extracts of Melodinuseugeniifolus barks and leaves from Malaysia. Pharmacol Pharm 2014;5:773-80.
8. Sen S, Chakraborty R, Sridhar C, Reddy YSR, Biplab De. Free radicals, antioxidants, diseases and phytomedicines: current status and future prospect. Int Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;3:91-100.
9. Kahkonen MP, Hopia AI, Vuorela HJ, Rauha JP, Pihlaja K, Kujala TS, et al. Antioxidant activity of plant extracts containing phenolic compounds. J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:3954âˆ’62.
10. Zheng W, Wang SY. Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in selected herbs. J Agric Food Chem 2001;49:5165âˆ’70.
11. Dragland S, Senoo H, Wake K, Holte K, Blomhoff R. Several culinary and medicinal herbs are important sources of dietary antioxidants. J Nutr 2003;133:1286â€“90.
12. Aslam MS, Choudhary BA, Uzair M, Ijaz AS. Phytochemistry of aerial parts of Araucaria Columnaris. J Appl Pharm 2014;6:114-20.
13. Aslam MS, Choudhary BA, Uzair M, Ijaz AS. Phytochemical and ethnopharmacological review of the genus araucariaâ€“review. Trop J Pharm Res 2013;12:651-9.
14. Schlangen K, Miosic S, Thill J, Halbwirth H. Cloning, functional expression, and characterization of a chalcone 3-hydroxylase from Cosmos sulphurous. J Exp Botany 2010;61:3451â€“9.
15. Kumari S, Sidhu MC. Meiotic studies in Cosmos sulphureus cav. Chromosome Botany 2012;7:117-8.
16. Kokate CK, Khandelwal, Gokhale SB. Practical pharmacognosy. 2nded. Pune, India: NiraliPrakashan Pub; 1996.
17. Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB. Pharmacognosy. 4th ed. Pune, India: NiraliPrakashan Pub; 2008.
18. Khandelwal KR, Sethi V. Practical pharmacognosy: techniques and experiments. 25th ed. Pune, India: NiraliPrakashan Pub; 2015.
19. Khadabadi SS, Deore SL, Baviskar BA. Quantitative chemical estimation. experimental phytopharmacognosy. 2nded. Pune, India: NiraliPrakashan Pub; 2013.
20. Sahgal G, Ramanathan S, Sasidharan S, Mordi MN, Ismail S, Mansor SM. In vitro antioxidant and xanthine oxidase inhibitory activities of methanolic Swieteniamahagoni seed extracts. Molecules 2009;14:4476-85.
21. Grace-Lynn C, Darah I, Chen Y, Latha LY, Jothy SL, Sasidharan S. In vitro antioxidant activity potential of lantadene a, a pentacyclic triterpenoid of lantana plants. Molecules 2012;17:11185-98.
22. Huang D, Ou B, Prior RL. The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53:1841-56.
23. Parthasarathy S, Azizi JB, Ramanathan S, Ismail S, Sasidharan S, Said MIM, et al. Evaluation of antioxidant and antibacterial activities of aqueous, methanolic and alkaloid extracts from Mitragynaspeciosa (rubiaceae family) leaves. Molecules 2009;14:3964-74.
24. Porto CD, Calligaris S, Cellotti E, Nicoli MC. Antiradical properties of commercial cognacs assessed by the DPPHâ€¢ test. J Agric Food Chem 2000;48:4241-5.
25. Shekhar TC, Anju G. Antioxidant activity by DPPH radical scavenging method of Ageratum conyzoides Linn. leaves. Am J Ethnomed 2014;1:244-9.