PHYTOCHEMICAL PROFILING AND ANTIBACTERIAL EFFICACY SCREENING OF AGLAIA MALABARICA SASIDH
Objective: Aglaia malabarica is an unexplored endemic forest tree belonging to the family Meliaceae. The present study was conducted to screen the phytochemical constituents of the leaf extract, to analyze the important secondary metabolites and to determine the antibacterial efficacy of the plant extract.
Methods: Antibacterial activity was studied using agar based disc diffusion method. Four strains of bacteria were used for the antibacterial study that includes Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosae, Proteus vulgaris and Bacillus megaterium.
Results: The presence of constituents like, carbohydrates, proteins, tannins, phenols, terpenoids, flavonoids, alkaloids and steroids were confirmed. Saponin was found to be absent. The secondary metabolites quantified were terpenoids, phenols and flavanoids, which were found in considerable amounts. The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) of all the bacteria studied was found to be 500 Âµg methanolic leaf extract.
Conclusion: The plant extract was found to be highly potent against both the Gram positive and Gram negative strains and this property may be attributed to the potent phytochemicals revealed in the extract.
2. Dobelis P, Madl JE, Manners GD, Pfister JA, Walrond JP. Antagonism of nicotinic receptors by Delphinium alkaloids. Neurosci Abstracts 1993;631:12.
3. JB Harborne. Phytochemical methods. 3rd ed. London: Chapman and Hall; 1998.
4. Evans WC. Trease and Evans. Pharmacognosy. 15th ed. Toronto: Harcourt Pub Ltd; 2002. p. 1-40.
5. Oueslati S, Ksouri R, Falleh H, Pichette A, Abdelly C, Legault J. Phenolic content, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities of the edible halophyte Suaeda fruticosa forssk. Food Chem 2012;132:943-7.
6. Dewanto V, Wu X, Adom KK, Liu RH. Thermal processing enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing total antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:3010-4.
7. Ghorai N, Chakraborty S, Gucchait S, Saha SK, Biswas S. Estimation of total terpenoids concentration in plant tissues using a monoterpene, linalool as a standard reagent. Protoc Exch 2012. Doi:10.1038/protex.2012.055.
8. Bacher M, Hofer O, Brader G, Vajrodaya S, Greger H. Thapsakins: possible biogenetic intermediates towards insecticidal cyclopenta [b] benzofurans from Aglaia edulis. Phytochemistry 1999;52:253-63.
9. Joycharat N, Thammavong S, Voravuthikunchai SP, Plodpai P, Mitsuwan W, Limsuwan S, et al. Chemical constituents and antimicrobial properties of the essential oil and ethanol extract from the stem of Aglaia odorata lour. Natl Prod Res 2014;28:2169-72.
10. Kim S, Chin YW, Su BN, Riswan S, Kardono LB, Afriastini JJ, et al. Cytotoxic flavaglines and bisamides from Aglaia edulis. J Natl Prod 2006;69:1769-75.
11. Zhang H, Xu HH, Song ZJ, Chen LY, Wen HJ. Molluscicidal activity of Aglaia duperreana and the constituents of its twigs and leaves. Fitoterapia 2012;83:1081-6.
12. Liu S, Wang H, Zuo WJ, Zhao YX, Li XN, Mei WL, et al. Two new rocaglamide derivatives from twigs of Aglaia odorata var. microphyllina. Phytochem Lett 2013;6:5-8.
13. Kim S, Su BN, Riswan S, Kardono LB, Afriastini JJ, Gallucci JC, et al. Edulisones A and B, two epimeric benzo [b] oxepine derivatives from the bark of Aglaia edulis. Tetrahedron Lett 2005;46:9021-24.
14. Yodsaoue O, Sonprasit J, Karalai C, Ponglimanont C, Tewtrakul S, Chantrapromma S. Diterpenoids and triterpenoids with potential anti-inflammatory activity from the leaves of Aglaia odorata. Phytochemistry 2012;76:83-91.
15. Rajasekaran C. Investigations on antibacterial activity of leaf extracts of Azadirachta indica A. Juss (Meliaceae): a traditional medicinal plant of India. Ethnobot Leaflets 2008;12:1213-7.
16. Sharma M, Mohan V, Abraham M, Joshy PJ, Reghuvaran DK. Antimicrobial screening of different extracts of South Indian medicinal plants of Meliaceae. J Med Plants Res 2011;5:688-95.
17. Lavate SM, Jadhav RB, Torane R, Kale AA, Shendkar CD, Deshpande NR. In vitro antibacterial activity of Aglaia lawii leaves extracts against bacterial pathogens. J Pharm Res 2012;5:3810-2.