TOXICITY OF ATRAZINE AND RELATED TO TESTICULAR, TISSUE DAMAGING ENZYME LEVELS IN POECILIA SPHENOPS
Objective: This study was designed to evaluate the toxic effects of Atrazine (ATZ) on the enzyme levels in Poecilia sphenops.
Methods: The cytosolic testicular enzyme and tissue-damaging enzyme activity were measured in Poecilia sphenops was exposed to 3 sub-lethal concentrations (1.25, 2.5 and 5 mg/l) of atrazine for 100days and control was also maintained. The toxic effects of ATZ to Poecilia sphenops were assessed through testicular marker enzyme, tissue-damaging enzyme level.
Results: The activities of testicular functional enzyme ALP, ACP, SDH, LDH, G6PDH and tissue-damaging the activities of glutamate oxaloacetic transaminase (GOT) and glutamate pyruvic transaminase (GPT) activity levels were altered in treated groups compared with that of the control.
Conclusion: This study demonstrates that atrazine induces tissue damage in terms of enhanced enzyme activity and testicular enzyme activity in Poecilia sphenops. Atrazine has toxicity to the reproductive system in Poecilia sphenops.
2. William RD, Burrill LC, Ball D, Miller TL, Parker R, Al-Khatib K, et al. Pacific northwest weed control handbook 1995. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR; 1995. p. 358.
3. Worthing CR. The pesticide manual, 9th ed. Farnham, British Crop Protection Council; 1991.
4. USEPA. Atrazine, Simazine and Cyanazine; Notice of Initiation of Special Review; 1994.
5. Vasanth S, Arul G, Karthikeyeni S, Kumar TSV, Vignesh V, Manimegalai M, et al. Influence of triazine herbicide exposure on guppies (Poecilia sphenops) aromatase activities, altered sex steroid concentration and vitellogenin induction. Indian J Pharm Sci 2015;77:156â€“62.
6. Purcell M, Neault JF, Malonga H, Arakawa H, Carpentier R, Tajmir-Riahi HA. Interactions of atrazine and 2,4-D with human serum albumin studied by gel and capillary electrophoresis, and FTIR spectroscopy. Biochem Biophys Acta 2001;1548:129â€“38.
7. Bull H, Murray PG, Thomas D, Fraser AM, Nelson PN. Acid phosphatases. Mol Pathol 2002;55:65â€“72.
8. Moss DW. Perspectives in alkaline phosphatase research. Clin Chem 1992;38:2486â€“92.
9. Duff SMG, Sarath G, Plaxton WC. The role of acid phosphatases in plant phosphorus metabolism. Physiol Plant 1994;90:791-800.
10. McComb RB, Bowers GN, Posen S. Alkaline phosphatase. Plenum, New York; 1979.
11. Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976;72:248-54.
12. Gerlach U. Sorbitol dehydrogenase. In: Bergmeyer HU. Ed. Methods of enzymatic analysis. 3rd edn. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim; 1983. p. 112â€“7.
13. Vassault A. Lactate dehydrogenase. UV method with pyruvate and NADH. In: Bergmeyer HU. Ed. Methods of enzymatic analysis. 3rd edn. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim; 1983. p. 118â€“25.
14. Estiarte M, Peuuelas J, Sardans BA, Emmett A, Sowerby C, Beier IK, et al. Root-surface phosphatase activity in shrublands across a European gradient: effects of warming. J Environ Biol 2008;29:25â€“9.
15. Michell RH, Karnovsky MJ, Karnovsky ML. The distributions of some granule-associated enzymes in guineapig polymorph nuclear leucocytes. Biochem J 1970;116:207â€“16.
16. Balinsky D, Bernstein RE. The purification and properties of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase from human erythrocytes. Biochem Biophys Acta 1963;67:313â€“5.
17. King J. In: Practical Clinical Enzymology. Van Nortand, D Company, London; 1965. p. 106-7.
18. Kori-Siakpere O, Ubogu EO. Sublethal haematological effects of zinc on the freshwater fish, Heteroclarias sp. (Osteichthyes: Clariidae). Afr J Biotechnol 2008;7:2068â€“73.
19. Vinod K Mishra, Mithilesh K Srivastava, Rajendra B Raizada. Testicular toxicity of thiram in the rat: morphological and biochemical evaluations. Industrial Health 1993;31:59-67.
20. Latchoumycandane C, Gupta SK, Mathur PP. Inhibitory effects of hypothyroidism on the testicular functions of postnatal rats. Biomed Lett 1997;56:171â€“7.
21. Zhang Bo, Sen Lin. Effects of 3,4-dichloroaniline on testicle enzymes as biological markers in rats. Biomed Environ Sci 2009;22:40-3.
22. Kaur R, Dhanuju CK, Kaur K. Effect of dietary selenium on biochemical composition in rat testis. Ind J Exp Biol 1999;37:509-11.
23. Srivastava S, Sing GB, Srivastava SP. Testicular toxicity of di-n-butyl phthalate in adult rats: effect on marker enzymes of spermatogenesis. Ind J Exp Biol 1990;28:67-70.
24. Sinha N, Narayan R, Saxena DK. Effect of endosulfan on the testis of growing rats. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 1997;58:79-86.
25. Prasad AK, Pant N, Srivastava SC, Kumar R, Srivastava SP. Effect of dermal application of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) on a male reproductive system of rat. Hum Exp Toxicol 1995;14: 484â€“8.
26. Vasanth S, Arul G, Karthikeyeni S, Kumar TSV, Vignesh V. Manimegalai1 M and subramanian P. Impacts and impairments of atrazine on male Poecilia Sphenops. Indian J Adv Chem Sci 2013;2:62-70.
27. Gui S, Belga-Kunita E, Yildiz E, Sahen A, Doren F. Pollution correlation modifications of liver antioxidal systems and histopathology of fish (cyprinidae) Living in Seyhan Dam Lake, Turkey. Environ Int 2004;30:605-9.
28. Parma MJ, Loteste A, Campana M, Bacchetta C. Changes of haematological parameters in Prochilodus lineatus (pisces, prochilodontidae) exposed to sublethal concentration of cypermethrin. J Environ Sci 2007;141:216-28.
29. Sanchez W, Ait-Aissa S, Pallues O, Ditche JM, Porcher JM. Preiiininaiy investigation of multi-biornarker responses in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L) sampled in contaminated streams. Ecotoxicology 2007;16:279-87.
30. Manna S, Bhattacharyya D, Mandal TK, Das S. Repeated dose toxicity of alfa-cypermethrin in rats. J Vet Sci 2004;5:241-5.
31. Pesce SF, Cazenave J, Monferra MN, Frede S, Wunderlin DA. Integrated survey on toxic effects of lindane on neotropical fish; corydoraspaleatus and jenynsia multidentata. Environ Poll 2008;156:775-83.
32. De la Tore, FR Salibian A, Ferrari L. Biomarkers assessment in juvenile Cyprinus carpio exposed to waterborne cadmium. Environ Pollut 2000;109:227-78.
33. Palanivelu V, Vijayavel K, Ezhilarasibalasubramanian S, Balasubramanian MP. Influence of insecticidal derivative (Cartap Hydrochloride) from the marine polychaete on certain enzyme systems of the freshwater fish oreochromis mossambicus. J Environ Biol 2005;26:191â€“6.
34. Harvey RB, Kubena LF, Elissalde M. Influence of vitamin E on aflatoxicosis in growing swine. Am J Vet Res 1994;55:572â€“7.
35. Chang LM, Yang WC, Cheng JC, Ho YP, Pan MJ, Lin Ch, et al. Disproportional exaggerated aspartate transaminase is a useful prognostic parameter in late leptospirosis. Wld J Gastroenterol 2005;11:5553â€“6.
36. Neskovic NK, Elezovic I, Karan V, Poleksic V, Budimir M. Acute and subacute toxicity of atrazine to carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Ecotoxicol Environ Safety 1993;25:173â€“82.
37. Jee JH, Masroor F, Kang JC. Responses of cypermethrin induced stress in haematological parameters of Korean rockfish, Sebastes schlegeli (Hilgendorf). Aquac Res 2005;36:898-905.
38. Borges A, Scotti LV, Siqueira DR, Zanini R, Amaral F, Jurinitz DF, et al. Changes in haematological and serum biochemical values in jundia Rhamdia quelen due to the sub-lethal toxicity of cypermethrin. Chemosphere 2007;69:920â€“6.
39. Das BK, Mukherjee SC. Toxicity of cypermethrin in Labeo rohita fingerlings: biochemical, enzymatic and haematological consequences. Comp Biochem Physiol 2003;134C:109â€“21.
40. Adhikari S, Sarkar B, Chatterjee A, Machapotre CT, Ayyepan S. Effect of cypermethrin and cerboturan haematological parameters and prediction of their recovery in a freshwater teleost, Labeo rohita. (Hamilton). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 2004;58:220-6.