A STUDY ON DRUG UTILIZATION PATTERN OF CEPHALOSPORINS IN GENERAL MEDICINE AND SURGICAL INPATIENT DEPARTMENT
Objective: Cephalosporins are a commonly used group of antibiotics in hospitals and healthcare facilities around the world. In the developed countries through the use of older cephalosporins is declining, that of the newer generations has increased. The objective of this study was to assess Drug Utilization Pattern of Cephalosporins in General Medicine and Surgical Inpatient Departments of tertiary care hospital.
Methods: The data of enrolled patients were collected from case records of admitted inpatients during the study period. The collected data was assessed by statistical analysis using descriptive analysis.
Results: A total of 110 inpatients were enrolled in the study. Out of 110 patients, males were 54.5% and females were 45.5%. The results analyzed that the prescriptions are more with third-generation cephalosporins than fourth-generation cephalosporins.
Conclusion: The study concludes that 3rd generation cephalosporins is widely used for treating various nosocomial infections.
2. Shankar PR, Subish P, Upadhayay D, Dubey AK, Deshpande VY. Cephalosporin utilization in the inpatient wards of a teaching hospital in western Nepal J Cap Inst Med 2005;27:7-12.
3. Gururaja MP, Sarah A, Samaga L, Joshi H, Nair S, Shastry CS. Cephalosporin utilization evaluation in a university teaching hospital: a prospective study. J Drug Delivery Ther 2013;3:83-7.
4. Jyothi K, Babu JD. Drug utilization evaluation of cephalosporins in general medicine units of rural tertiary care hospital. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2012;4:88-91.
5. Drupad HS, Nagabushan H, Prakash GM. Prospective and observational study of antimicrobial drug utilization in medical intensive care unit in a tertiary care teaching hospital. Int J Pharmacol Res 2016;6:13-7.
6. Nagaraju K, Fard NM, Surekha G, Bolouri P. Drug utilisation evaluation of cephalosporins, macrolides, quinolones. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2014;4:841-9.
7. Pereira LMP, Phillips M, Ramlal H, Teemul K, Prabhakar P. Third-generation cephalosporin use in a tertiary hospital in Port of Spain, Trinidad: the need for an antibiotic policy. BMC Infect Dis 2004;4:59.
8. Masood H, Naqvi SB, Aslam N. Cost-effective analysis of different brands of ceftriaxone available in karachi, Pakistan. Pakistan J Pharmacol 2008;25:13-9.
9. Pandiamunian J, Somasundaram G. A study on prescribing pattern of antimicrobial agents in the medical intensive care unit of a tertiary care teaching hospital in puducherry union territory, South India. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:235-8.
10. Prashar D, Katyal R, Adiya AK. Pharmacoeconomical study of drug utilization pattern of third-generation cephalosporin with special reference to solan town. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;4:109-12.