SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF 2-ARYL BENZOTHIAZOLE DERIVATIVES
Objective: To synthesize benzothiazole derivatives, characterize them by 1HNMR and ATIR techniques and evaluate for their antioxidant activity.
Methods: In the present study 12 benzothiazole derivatives were synthesized by reacting 2-chloronitro benzene as the primary reactant with different aromatic aldehydes and benzoic acids. Reactions were monitored using thin layer chromatography technique, and the newly synthesized derivatives were characterized by ATIR and 1HNMR techniques. The antioxidant assay was performed using 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulphonic acid) or ABTS method and 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl or DPPH method.
Results: The antioxidant activity was found to be better in ABTS assay than DPPH assay. The compounds showed comparable activity to ascorbic acid at 100Âµg/ml.
Conclusion: It was found that the synthesized benzothiazole derivatives showed significant radical scavenging potential.
2. Moein M, Moein S. Ahmadizadeh S. Radical scavenging and reducing the power of salvia mirzayanii subfractions. Molecules 2008;13:2804-13.
3. El-Gazzar ABA, Youssef MM, Youssef AMS, Abu Hashem AA, Badria FA. Design and synthesis of azolopyrimidoquinolines, pyrimidoquinazolines as anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities. Eur J Med Chem 2009;44:609-24.
4. Kashif MK, Ahmad I, Hameed S. Synthesis and hypoglycemic activity of 5,5-dimethylarylsulfonylimidazolidine-2,4-diones. Arkivoc 2008;16:311-7.
5. V Lobo, A Patil, A Phatak, N Chandra. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev 2010;4:118-26.
6. Buettner GR. The pecking order of free radicals and antioxidants: lipid peroxidation, alpha-tocopherol, and ascorbate. Arch Biochem Biophys 1993;300:535-43.
7. Gutteridge JMC, Halliwell B. Antioxidants in Nutrition, Health and Disease; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK; 1994.
8. Shu YZ. Recent natural products based drug development: a pharmaceutical industry perspective. J Nat Prod 1998;61:1053-71.
9. Vertuani S, Angusti A, Manfredini S. The antioxidants and proantioxidantsnet work: an overview. Curr Pharm Des 2004;10:1677-94.
10. Gale CR. Dietary antioxidants and dementia. Int Psychogeriatr 2001;13:259-62.
11. Likhar Rupali, Perumal P, Kolhe Nitin, Bhaskar VH, Daroi Pratibha. Synthesis and antioxidant activity of novel 2-aryl substituted benzothiazole derivatives. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:34-7.
12. Sadek KU, Mekheimer RA, Hameed AMA, Elnahas F, Elnagdi MH. Green and highly efficient synthesis of 2-aryl benzothiazoles using glycerol without catalyst at ambient temperature. Molecules 2012;17:6011-9.
13. Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Rad Biol Med 1999;26:1231-7.