QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF MAGNESIUM CARBONATE IN PAN MASALA AND GUTKA
Objective: The objective of present study is to detect and quantitatively estimate Magnesium Carbonate, a potential carcinogen used for its anti-caking property in various brands of Pan Masala and Gutka by the simple, economic and effective method.
Methods: The water-soluble extract of various brands of Pan Masala and Gutka was prepared by a wrist action rotary shaker for 60 min. The extract was filtered, and the filtrate was titrated against 0.1N EDTA using Eriochrome Black T indicator at pH 10 and using Murexide indicator at pH 12.
Results: The presence of Magnesium Carbonate was found to be less than 2% in all brands of Pan Masala and less than 3% in all brands of Gutka samples used in the analysis.
Conclusion: There is Magnesium Carbonate used in all brands of Pan Masala and Gutka used in the present study.
2. Javed F, Bello Correa FO, Chotai M, Tappuni AR, Almas K. Systemic conditions associated with areca nut usage: a literature review. Scand J Public Health 2010;38:838â€“44.
3. Shah G, Chaturvedi P, Vaishampayan S. Arecanut as an emerging etiology of oral cancers in India. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2012;33:71â€“9.
4. Niaz K, Maqbool F, Khan F, Bahadar H, Hassan FI, Abdollahi M. Smokeless tobacco (paan and gutkha) consumption, prevalence, and contribution to oral cancer. Epidemiol Health 2017;39:e2017009.
5. Banerjee SC, Ostroff JS, Bari S, Dâ€™Agostino TA, Khera M, Acharya S, et al. Gutka and Tambaku paan use among South Asian immigrants: a focus group study. J Immigr Minor Health 2014;16:531â€“9.
6. Garg A, Chaturvedi P, Mishra A, Datta S. A review on harmful effects of pan masala. Indian J Cancer 2015;52:663-6.
7. Gupta PC. Gutka: a major new tobacco hazard in India. Tob Control 1999a;8:134.
8. https://vovindia.org/ [Last accessed on 08 May 2018]
9. Awan KH, Hussain QA, Patil S, Maralingannavar M. Assessing the risk of oral cancer associated with gutka and other smokeless tobacco products: a case-control study. J Contemp Dent Pract 2016;17:740-4.
10. Hussain Z, Nazir A, Shafique U, Salman M. Comparative study for the determination of metals in milk samples using flame-AAS and EDTA complexometric titration. J Sci Res 2010;XXXX:9-14.
11. Varale Y. Study of total hardness present in the tube-well water sample of Nipani town. IJAPSA 2016;2:81-4.
12. Gupta PC, Shreevidya S. Final report of the project on laboratory testing of smokeless tobacco products/Researchgate. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/. [Last accessed on 08 Jul 2018].
13. Food Safety and Standards Regulations; 2011.