POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS)â€“AN OVERVIEW
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of most common female endocrine disorder that affects 6-15% of the female population. Women with PCOS have a hormonal imbalance and metabolism problems that may affect their overall health and appearance. Androgen excess and insulin resistance are currently recognized to be responsible for much of the phenotypic presentation, though insulin resistance is far from universally present. It is characterized by irregular menstrual cycle, acne and also associated with type-2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease. Efficient management of PCOS provides a prospective window of opportunity to avoid the risk of associated complications. Treatment is broadly aimed at tackling (IR), effects of hyperandrogenism, irregular menstruation, and infertility. This review article mainly deals with the etiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of Polycystic ovary syndrome.
2. Ruta K. Contemporary and traditional perspectives of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). J Dental Med Sci 2014;13:89-98.
3. Jones AE. Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Nursing Times 2005;101:40-3.
4. Nagarathna PKM. A detailed study on polycystic ovarian syndrome and its treatment with natural products. Int J Toxicol Pharmacol Res 2014;5:109-20.
5. Ameet Patki. Polycystic ovarian syndrome in infertility, Sri Lanka. J Obstetrics Gynaecol 2012;34:112-9.
6. Suhas D, Suresh D, Panchshila D. Review on Introduction to PCOS and their management. J Sci 2015;5:208-12.
7. Pratab K, Kashif Khan. Effects of metformin use in pregnant patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Human Reproductive Sci 2012;5:166-9.
8. Gerard C. The polycystic ovary syndrome: a position statement from the European society of endocrinology. Eur J Endocrinol 2014;171:P1-P29.
9. Xin Li. Endometrial progesterone resistance and PCOS. J Biomed Sci 2014;21:1-7.
10. Peter Baillie. Understanding the importance of polycystic ovaries. ISRA Med J 2010;9:27-29.
11. Maharaj S, Amod A. Polycystic ovary syndrome. JEMDSA 2009;14:86-95.
12. Mirsha S, Shrestha A. Polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Universal College Med Sci 2013;1:1-3.
13. Mohammed Hasan S, Seyed MK, Nasrin G. Genetics of polycystic ovary syndrome. Indian J Reproductive Med 2007;5:1-5.
14. Tasoula T, Caroline Overton, Gerard S Conway. The pathophysiology of polycystic ovary syndrome. Clin Endocrinol 2004;60:1-17.
15. Abbott DH, Dumesic DA, Franks S. Developmental origin of polycystic ovary syndrome-a hypothesis. J Endocrinol 2002;174:1-5.
16. Rechard Legro. Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Bio Med Central Med 2015;13:1-5.
17. Kar Gayatri, Jena SK, Behera BK. Metformin and N-acetyl cysteine in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Indian J Clin Med 2010;1:7-13.