QUALITATIVE STUDY ON EFFECTIVE TELEHEALTHEDUCATIONAL METHOD CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE (COPD) IN MOJOKERTO INDONESIA
Keywords:Education, Telehealth, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Focus group discussions (FGD)
Objective: To find the effective method of telehealth for COPD patients through focus group discussions (FGD) health professional and COPD patients.
Methods: Focus group discussions, the materials of FGD consist of educational contents, telehealth media, and education schedule. Discussions involving 11 participants, six medical professionals (2 medical doctors and 4 pharmacists), and 5 patients with COPD in four Hospital in Mojokerto.
Results: According to the health professional and COPD patients educational materials necessary for patients with COPD is knowing disease (such as symptoms, causes, transmission, and prevention), how to use an inhaler, and treatment of COPD from medication to a healthy lifestyle. The educational materials should be showing in television available at the patient’s waiting room in the hospital.
Conclusion: It is expected that repeated education will increase patient’s knowledge on COPD as well as their health status.
2. Oemiati. Kajian epidemiologis penyakit paru obstruktif kronik (PPOK). Media Litbangkes 2013;23:82-8.
3. Calverley PM, Stockley RA, Seemungal TA, Hagan G, Willits LR, Riley JH, Wedzicha JA. Investigating New Standards for Prophylaxis in Reduction of Exacerbations (INSPIRE) investigators: reported pneumonia in patients with COPD: findings from the INSPIRE study. Chest 2011;139:505-12.
4. Adil Shujaat, Ruth Minkin, Edward Eden. Pulmonary hypertension and chronic corpulmonale in COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2007;2:273–82.
5. Kurt B Stage, Thomas Middelboe, Tore B Stage, Claus H Sørensen. Depression in COPD–management and quality of life considerations. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2006;1:315–20.
6. Perhimpunan Dokter Paru Indonesia. Penyakit Paru Obstruktif Kronik (PPOK): Pedoman Diagnosis and Penatalaksanaan Di Indonesia; 2011.
7. Mousing CA, Lomborg K. Self-care 3 mo after attending chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patient education: a qualitative descriptive analysis. Patient Prefer Adherence 2012;6:19-25.
8. Boven JFM Van. Medication monitoring and optimization: a targeted pharmacist program for the effective and cost-effective improvement of chronic therapy adherence. J Managed Care Specialty Pharm 2014;20:786-92.
9. Bourbeau J, Ford G, Zackon H, Pinsky N, Lee J, Ruberto G. Impact on patients health status following early identification of COPD exacerbation. Eur Respir J 2007;30:907-13.
10. Lorig KR, Holman H. Self-management education: history, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms. Ann Behav Med 2003;26:1–7.
11. Harris M, Smith BJ, Veale A. Patient education programs-can they improve outcomes in COPD? Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2008;3:109-12.
12. Monninkhof EM, van der Valk PD, van der Palen J. Self-management education for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev 2004;CD002990.
13. Nguyen HQ, Fan VS, Herting J, Lee J, Fu M, Chen Z, et al. Patients with COPD with higher levels of anxiety are more physically active. Chest 2013;144:145-51.
14. Dabrowska EK. Telehealth in the UK: a critical perspective. Electronic J Business Res Methods 2003;2:37–46.
15. Tabak M, Brusse Keizer M, Valk P Van Der, Hermens H, Vollenbroek M. A telehealth program for self-management of COPD exacerbations and promotion of an active lifestyle?: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Int J COPD 2014;9:935–45.
16. Bentley CL, Mountain GA, Thompson J, Fitzsimmons DA, Lowrie K, Parker SG, et al. A pilot randomized controlled trial of a telehealth intervention in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: challenges of clinician-led data collection. Trials 2014;15:313.
17. Udsen FW, Hejlesen O, Ehlers LH. A systematic review of the cost and cost-effectiveness of telehealth for patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Telemedicine Telecare 2014;20:212-20.
18. Liu XL, Tan JY, Wang T, Zhang Q, Zhang M, Yao LQ, et al. Effectiveness of home-based pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Rehabil Nurs 2014;39:36-59.
19. Patriani AA, Paramastri I, Priyanto MA. Pemberdayaan keluarga dalam rehabilitasi medik paru pada penderita penyakit paru obstruksi kronik di balai pengobatan penyakit paru-paru yogyakarta. Berita Kedokteran Masyarakat 2010;26:55–62.
20. Gill M. A national telehealth startegy for australia. In: Australian National Consultative Committee on Electronic Health; 2011.
21. Dyk L Van, Campus P, Africa S. A review of telehealth service implementation frameworks. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2014;11:1279–98.
22. Fairbrother P, Pinnock H, Hanley J, McCloughan L, Sheikh A, Pagliari C, et al. Exploring telemonitoring and self-management by the patient with chronic obstructive disease: a qualitative study embedded in a randomized controlled trial. Patient Education Counseling 2013;93,403-10.
23. Hailey BJ, Moss SB. Compliance behavior in patients undergoing hemodialysis: a review of the literature. Psychol Health Med 2000;5:395–406.
24. Lacasse Y, Goldstein R, Lasserson TJ, Martin S. Pulmonary rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;18:CD003793.
25. Stoilkova A, Janssen DJA, Wouters EFM. Educational programmes in COPD management interventions: a systematic review. Respiratory Med 2013;107:1637–50.
26. Wawandan Dewi. Pengetahuan, sikap, dan Perilaku Manusia. Yogyakarta: Nuha Medika; 2010.
27. Odili VU danOkoribe CO. Assessment of Pharmacists’ knowledge on correct inhaler technique. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1:768-72.
28. National Asthma Council Australia. Inhaler technique in adults with asthma or COPD (online); 2008. Available from: http://www.nationalasthma.org.au [Last accessed on 10 Jan 2019]
29. Lalani NS. A study of knowledge assessment and competence in asthma and inhaler technique of nurses employed at the university teaching hospital. Health 2012;3:16-8.
30. Lee SM, Chang YS, Kim CW, Kim TB, Kim SH, Kwon YE, et al. Skills in handling turbuhaler, diskus, and pressurized metered-dose inhaler in korean asthmatic patients. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2011;3:46-52.
31. Scott RE, McCarthy FG, Jennett PA, Perverseff T, Lorenzetti D, Saeed A, et al. Telehealth outcomes: a synthesis of the literature and recommendations for uotcome indicators. J Telemed Telecare 2007;13(Suppl 2):1-38.
32. Stellefson M, Chaney BH, Chaney JD. Examining the efficacy of DVD technology compared to print-based material in COPD self-management education of rural patients. Californian J Health Promot 2009;7:26-42.
33. Morgan DL. Focus groups as qualitative research. 2nd edn Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage publications; 1997.