MICROSPONGES AS A NEOTERIC CORNUCOPIA FOR DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS
Keywords:Neoteric, Microporous beads, Cornucopia, Solid phase porous microspheres
Microsponges (MSPs) are at the forefront of the rapidly developing field of novel drug delivery systems which are gaining popularity due to their use for controlled release and targeted drug delivery. The microsponge delivery system (MDS) is a patented polymeric system consisting of porous microspheres typically 10-25 microns in diameter, loaded with an active agent. They are tiny sponge-like spherical particles that consist of a myriad of interconnecting voids within a non-collapsible structure with a large porous surface through which active ingredient is released in a controlled manner. Microsponge also hold a certification as one of the potential approaches for gastric retention where many oral dosage forms face several physiological restrictions due to non-uniform absorption pattern, inadequate medication release and shorter residence time in the stomach. This type of drug delivery system which is non-irritating, non-allergic, non-toxic, can suspend or entrap a wide variety of substances, and can then be incorporated into a formulated product such as gel, cream, liquid or powder that is why it is called as a “versatile drug delivery system”. It overcomes the drawbacks of other formulations such as frequency of dosing, drug reaction, incompatibility with environmental condition. These porous microspheres were exclusively designed for chronotherapeutic topical drug delivery but attempt to utilize them for oral, pulmonary and parenteral drug delivery were also made. The present review elaborates about the multifunctional microsponge technology including its preparation, characterization, evaluation methods along with recent research and future potential.
2. Jadhav N, Patel V. Microsponge delivery system: an updated review, current status and future prospects. J Sci Innovative Res 2013;2:1097-110.
3. Mandava S, Thavva V. Novel approach: microsponge drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:967-80.
4. Jagtap S, Karale A. Microsponge: a novel topical drug delivery system. J Drug Delivery Res 2014;3:1-9.
5. Kumari P, Mishra S. A comprehensive review on novel microsponges drug delivery approach. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:25-30.
6. Charde M, Ghanawat P. Microsponge a novel new drug delivery system: a review. Int J Adv Pharm 2013;2:63-70.
7. Patel U. A review-recent research on microsponge a novel new drug delivery system. Int J Adv Pharm 2018;7:10-6.
8. Aloorkar NH, Ingale DJ. Microsponges as innovative drug delivery systems. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol 2012;5:1597-606.
9. Deshwal S, Saxena A. Microsponge delivery system: an overview. Int J Biopharma 2014;5:39-46.
10. Jyoti J, Kumar S. Innovative and novel strategy: microsponges for topical drug delivery. J Drug Delivery Ther 2018;8:28-34.
11. Ayan Kumar K, Banhishikha K. A novel approach on microsponge: multifunctional modern dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2018;51:64-72.
12. Junqueira M, Bruschi M. A review about the drug delivery from microsponges. AAPS PharmSciTech 2018;19:1501-11.
13. Patil S, Behera A. Spherical crystallization in solubility enhancement. Adv Drug Delivery 2018;4:1-41.
14. Pawan S, Prashant B. A new era in topical formulations–microsponge drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:2756-61.
15. Osmani R, Aloorkar N. Microsponge based drug delivery system for augmented gastroparesis therapy: formulation development and evaluation. Asian J Pharm Sci 2015;10:442-51.
16. Kapoor D, Patel M, Vyas R. A review on microsponge drug delivery system. J Drug Delivery Ther 2014;4:29-35.
17. Arijit G, Sougata J. Tailoring effect of microsponge for targeted drug delivery. J Sci Innovative Res 2013;2:1073-82.
18. Srivastava R, Pathak K. Microsponges: a futuristic approach for oral drug delivery. Expert Opin Drug Delivery 2012;9:863-78.
19. Kumar S, Tyagi L. Microsponge delivery system: a unique technology for delivery of active ingredients. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:3069-80.
20. Sarat Chandra Prasad, Ajay M. Microsponge drug delivery system: a review. J Pharm Res 2011;4:1381-4.
21. Kaity S, Maiti S. Microsponges: a novel strategy for drug delivery system. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2010;1:283-90.
22. Çomoglu T, Gönül N. The effects of pressure and direct compression on tableting of microsponges. Int J Pharm 2002;242:191–5.
23. Vyas SP, Khar RK. Targeted and controlled drug delivery-novel carrier system. CBS Publication, New Delhi, Edition 1; 2002. p. 453.
24. Won R. Method for delivering an active ingredient by controlled time release utilizing a novel delivery vehicle which can be prepared by a process utilizing the active ingredients as a porogen, US, Patent No. 4690825; 1987.
25. Patel U. Formulation and development of Aceclofenac loaded microsponges for topical delivery using quality by design approach. Int J Adv Pharm 2018;7:17-32.
26. Obiedallah M, Abdel Mageed A, Elfaham T. Ocular administration of acetazolamide microsponges in situ gel formulations. Saudi Pharma J 2018;26:909-20.
27. Development and evaluation of some microsponge loaded medicated topical formulations of acyclovir. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:1395-410.
28. Abdellatif A, Zayed G, Kamel H, Mohamed A, Arafa W, Khatib A. A novel controlled release microsponges containing albendazole against haemonchus contortus in experimentally infected goats. J Drug Delivery Sci Technol 2018;43:469-76.
29. Patel D. Formulation and evaluation of floating microsponges of allopurinol. pharma science monitor. Int J Pharm Sci 2016;7:135-54.
30. Rajput K, Tankar A, Tekade A. Atorvastatin loaded microsponges based emu oil emulgel for faster wound healing. Anna Pharmacol Pharma 2018;3:1-10.
31. Jelvehgari M, Siahi Shadbad M, Azarmi S, Martin G, Nokhodchi A. The microsponge delivery system of benzoyl peroxide: preparation, characterization and release studies. Int J Pharm 2006;308:124-32.
32. Muralidhar P. Formulation and optimization of bupropion HCl microsponges by 23 factorial design. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:1134-44.
33. Abd Alhammid S. Enhancement of the solubility and the dissolution rate of candesartan cilexetil using microsponge technology. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:385.
34. Kadam V, Patel V, Karpe M, Kadam V. Design, development and evaluation of celecoxib-loaded microsponge-based topical gel formulation. Appl Clin Res Clin Trials Regulatory Affairs 2016;3:44-55.
35. Bhatia M, Saini M. Formulation and evaluation of Curcumin microsponges for oral and topical drug delivery. Prog Biomater 2018;7:239-48.
36. Janaki Devi S, Ramanamurthy K. Design of a novel colon targeted microsponges loaded with diclofenac sodium using three different polymers. Int Res J Pharm 2018;9:10-9.
37. Osmani R, Aloorkar N, Thaware B, Kulkarni P, Moin A, Hani U. Microsponge based drug delivery system for augmented gastroparesis therapy: formulation development and evaluation. Asian J Pharm Sci 2015;10:442-51.
38. Resmi DS. Formulation and evaluation of topical econazole nitrate microsponge loaded hydrogel. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2018;12:27-64.
39. Ravi R. Standardization of process parameters involved erythromycin microsponges by quasi-emulsion solvent diffusion method. Int J Pharm Dev Technol 2013;3:28-34.
40. Charagonda S, Puligilla R, Ananthula M, Bakshi V. Formulation and evaluation of famotidine floating microsponges. Int Res J Pharm 2016;7:62-7.
41. Gupta A, Tiwari G, Srivastava R. Enteric coated HPMC capsules plugged with 5-FU loaded microsponges: a potential approach for treatment of colon cancer. Brazilian J Pharm Sci 2015;51:591-605.
42. Zaki C, Latif R, Soliman I. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of hydroxyzine hydrochloride microsponges for topical delivery. AAPS PharmSciTech 2011;12:989-1001.
43. Rajitha I. Development and evaluation of a microsponge drug delivery system of indomethacin. Int J Pharm 2017;7:125-31.
44. Çomoglu T, Gonul N, Baykara T. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of modified release ketoprofen microsponges. Il Farmaco 2003;58:101-6.
45. Imran Tadwee, Sadhana S. Formulation and development of microsponge based delayed release dosage form of lansoprazole. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2018;9:824-31.
46. Vivekanand K. Fabrication and characterization of lornoxicam loaded microsponge tablets for colon delivery. Acta Sci Pharm Sci 2018;2:3-11.
47. Panday P, Shukla N, Sisodiya D, Jain V, Mahajan S. Design and characterization of microsponge loaded controlled release epicutaneous gel of lornoxicam. Appl Med Res 2015;1:16.
48. Karthika R, Elango. Formulation and evaluation of lornoxicam microsponge tablets for the treatment of arthritis. Int J Pharm Innovations 2012;3:29-40.
49. Janaki Devi S, Ramanamurthy K. Development of colon-targeted microsponges for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. Indian J Pharm Sci 2018;80:604-9.
50. Jain P. Formulation and evaluation of colon specific tablet containing microsponges of metoprolol succinate. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2015;6:4851-6.
51. Mahmoud D, Shukr M. Gastroretentive microsponge as a promising tool for prolonging the release of mitiglinide calcium in type-2 diabetes mellitus: optimization and pharmacokinetics study. AAPS PharmSciTech 2018;19:2519-32.
52. Rekha, Manjula B. Formulation and evaluation of microsponges for topical drug delivery of mometasone furoate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:133-7.
53. Mohan Kumar V. Formulation and evaluation of microsponges for topical drug delivery of mupirocin. Int J PharmTech Res 2013;5:1434-40.
54. Amrutiya N, Bajaj A, Madan M. Development of microsponges for topical delivery of mupirocin. AAPS PharmSciTech 2009;10:402-9.
55. Patel S, Patel M. Formulation and evaluation of microsponge based nicorandil sustained released tablet. J Sci Res 2017;9:285.
56. Pawar A, Gholap A, Kuchekar A, Bothiraja C, Mali A. Formulation and evaluation of optimized oxybenzone microsponge gel for topical delivery. J Drug Delivery 2015;2015:1-9.
57. Rajab N, Jawad M. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of piroxicam microsponge as a tablet. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:104-14.
58. Kumari A, Jain A, Hurkat P, Tiwari A, Jain S. Eudragit S100 coated microsponges for colon targeting of prednisolone. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2017;44:902-13.
59. Patil N. A research on formulation and evaluation of microsponge loaded in topical gel of ritonavir. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;7:855-96.
60. Kadnor N, Pande V, Kadam R, Upadhye S. Fabrication and characterization of sertaconazole nitrate microsponge as a topical drug delivery system. Indian J Pharm Sci 2015;77:675.
61. Yadav V, Jadhav P, Dombe S, Bodhe A, Salunkhe P. Formulation and evaluation of microsponge gel for topical delivery of an antifungal drug. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:30.
62. Kumari P, Misra S. Formulation and evaluation of tolnaftate microsponges loaded gels for treatment of dermatophytosis. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2017;4:326-35.
63. Desavath M. Design, development and characterization of valsartan microsponges by quasi emulsion technique and the impact of stirring rate on microsponge formation. J Appl Pharm Sci 2017;7:193-8.