STANDARDIZATION OF BALAMULA CHURNA (SIDA CORDIFOLIA L. ROOT POWDER)
Objective: In this study, an attempt was made to generate information based on, physicochemical parameter preliminary phytochemical screening and HPTLC data needed for proper identification and authentication of Balamula Churna.
Methods: The physicochemical parameters such as water-soluble extractive, alcohol soluble extractive and loss on drying at 105 °C, total ash and acid insoluble ash were determined according to standard methods. HPTLC studies were conducted and Rf values were documented.
Results: Physicochemical parameter value were documented as pH (6.81%), LOD (7.5%), water-soluble extractive value (6.32%), alcohol soluble extractive value (5.92%) total Ash (9.00%) and Acid Insoluble Ash (1.60%). Preliminary phytochemical screening reveals the presence of glycoside, alkaloid, carbohydrate, phenol, flavonoid and saponin. HPTLC screening showed the presence of significant phytoconstituents with Rf value 0.02, 0.27, 0.34 and 0.96.
Conclusion: All the results obtained from this study can be helpful in evaluation quality, detection of adulteration and substitution and emphasizing the importance of standardization.
2. Goli PP, Trimurtulu G, Reddy KN, Naidu ML. Standardization of an herbal preparation–V ? ddhadaruka mula cur ? a [Argyreia nervosa (Burm. f.) Boj.] root powder. Indian J Traditional Knowledge 2011;10:612-6.
3. Prasad SB, Sharma A. Standardisation of convolvulus pluricaulis choisy herbs collected from Jalandhar, Punjab. Int J Pharmacogn Phytochem Res 2016;8:1412-6.
4. Jain A, Choubey S, Singour PK, Rajak H, Pawar RS. Sida cordifolia (linn)-an overview. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;1:23-31.
5. Anonymous. Quality control methods for medicinal plants materials. Geneva: World Health organization; 1998.
6. Kaur D, Prasad SB, Verma S. Formulation and evaluation gel from the extract of plumbago indica for acne. Int J Drug Delivery Technol 2016;6:95-8.
7. Anonymous. The ayurvedic pharmacopoeia of india part 1 volume 5. Ministry of Health and family welfare Government of India, Department of AYUSH; 2006. p. 2013-214.
8. Khandelwal KR. Practical pharmacognosy techniques and experiments. Pune: Nirali Prakashan; 2003.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.