SYNTHESIS AND BIOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF SPIRO (INDOLE-THIAZOLIDINE) DERIVATIVES AS ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS
Keywords:Microwave irradiation, Spiro-[indole-thiazolidine], Isoniazid, Isatin
Objective: The present study aims to synthesize and biological evaluation of Spiro-[Indole-Thiazolidine] derivatives as antimicrobial agents.
Methods: The reaction sequence involves microwave-induced preparation of N-(2-oxo-1,2-dihydro-3’H-indol-3-ylidene)pyridine-4-carbohydrazide  from isoniazid  and isatin  followed by the cyclo condensation of  and mercaptoacetic acid under microwave condition to achieve the synthesis of spiro-[indole-thiazolidine] derivatives . The resulting compounds were then allowed to react with various aromatic and heterocyclic aromatic aldehydes to afford arylidene derivatives [5a-l].
Result: Isoniazid (1) on condensation with isatin (2) in the presence of catalytic amount of glacial acetic acid furnished N-(2-oxo-1,2-dihydro-3’H-indol-3-ylidene) pyridine-4-carbohydrazide (3), which showed characteristic IR, absorption bands. Compound (3) underwent Spiro cyclization upon its reaction with mercaptoacetic acid in the presence of anhydrous ZnCl2 to form spiro-[indole-thiazolidine] compound (4). Compound (4) was then condensed with aromatic aldehydes to give arylidene derivatives (5a-l), which were characterized by IR and 1H NMR spectral data.
Conclusion: All the synthesized compounds were screened for antimicrobial activity by the cup plate method. Most of the derivatives showed good antimicrobial activity against Gram-Positive and Gram-negative bacteria.
2. Sannigrahi Mousumi. Stereocontrolled synthesis of Spirocyclics. Tetrahedron 1999;55:9007-71.
3. James DM, Kunze HB, Faulkner DJ. Two new brominated tyrosine derivatives from the sponge druinella (= psammaplysilla) purpurea. J Nat Prod 1991;54:1137-40.
4. Kobayashi J, Tsuda M, Agemi K, Shigemiri H, Ishibashi M, Sasaki T, et al. Purealidins b and c, new bromotyrosine alkaloids from the okinawan marine sponge psammaplysilla purea. Tetrahedron 1991;47:6617-22.
5. Joaquim FM, Da Silva, Simon J Garden, Angelo C Pinto. The chemistry of isatins: a review from 1975 to 1999. J Braz Chem Soc 2001;12:273-324.
6. MJ Kukla, HJ Breslin, CJ Diamond, PAJ Jansen. Microwave assisted synthesis of some new spiro-[indole-thiazolidine] derivatives: a green chemical pathway. J Med Chem 2010;8:809-16.
7. Doddappa Pralhad Anekal, JS Biradar. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel indolyl 4-thiazolidinones bearing thiadiazine nucleus. Arabian J Chem 2017;10:S2098-S210.
8. Rajeev Sakhuja, Siva S Panda, Leena Khanna, Shilpi Khurana, Subhash C Jain. Design and synthesis of spiro [indole-thiazolidine ]spiro[indole-pyrans]as antimicrobial agents. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2011;21:5465-9.
9. Anshu Dandia, Sarita Khaturia, Claude Merienne. Georges morgant efficient microwave enhanced regioselective synthesis of a series benzimidazolyl/trizolyl spiro [indole-thiazolidinones]as potent antifungal agents and crystal structure of spiro[3H-indole-3,2-thiazolidine]-3(1,2,4-triazol-3-yl)-2,4(1H)dione. Bioorganic Med Chem 2006;14:2409-17.
10. Tarik E Ali, Reda M Abdel-Rahman. Synthesis and antioxidant activities of some novel fluorinated spiro[oxindole-thiazolidine] fused with sulfur and phosphorus heterocycles. J Sulfur Chem 2014;35:399–411.
11. Ruby Singh, Shakeel Ahmad Ganaie, Aakash Singh, Archana Chaudhry. Synthetic organic chemistry, carban–SO3H catalyzed expedient synthesis of new spiro-[indeno[1,2-b]quinoxaline–[11,2]-thiazolidine]-4-ones as a biologically important scaffold. Int J Rapid Commun 2013;68:245-53.
12. Kirti Shrimali, Manish Rawal, Pinki B, Suresh C. Microwave-assisted the synthesis of some new spiro-[indole-thiazolidine]derivatives. Int J Chem Sci 2010;8:809-16.
13. Dandia R Singh, S Khaturia, C Merienne, G Morgant, A Loupy. A facile catalyst and solvent-free synthesis of spiro thia heterocycles on grinding. Biorg Med Chem 2006;14:2409.
14. Dandia K Arya, M Sati, S Gautam. Mild and ecofriendly tandem synthesis of 1,2,4-triazolo[4,3-a]pyrimidines in aqueous medium. Tetrahedron 2004;60:5253.
15. Shaabani, A Bazgir. Tetrahedron lettat science direct.com 2004;45:2474-708.
16. RS Gund, Dr GD Gupta. Practical microbiology. Fifth edition. Nirali prakashan; 2008.