IMIDACLOPRID TOXICITY AND ITS ATTENUATION BY AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF MORINGA OLEIFERA LEAF IN ZEBRA FISH, DANIO RERIO
Keywords:Imidacloprid, MLE, Acute toxicity, Zebrafish
Objective: Imidacloprid (IMC) is a systemic chloro-nicotinyl insecticide that is applied in crop fields to control a wide variety of harmful insects and pests. The objective of the present study was to evaluate the mitigating effects of Moringa leaf extract (MLE) against Imidacloprid (IMC) induced mortality after acute toxicity bioassay in zebrafish, Danio rerio.
Methods: The fishes were exposed to various concentrations of IMC to estimate the LC50 values at different exposure periods using the probit analysis.
To assess the attenuating effect on mortality fishes were exposed to different concentrations of MLE along with 24 and 96 h LC50 of IMC. Mortality rate of fishes was recorded during all experimental periods.
Results: The LC50 values were found to be 0.423, 0.352, 0.297 and 0.270 ml/l after 24, 48, 72 and 96 h respectively. The upper confidence limits were 0.491, 0.408, 0.334 and 0.302 ml/l and lower confidence limits were 0.355, 0.296, 0.260 and 0.238 ml/l for 24, 48, 72 and 96 h respectively.
The fishes remain alive at 12 ml/l and 10 ml/l of MLE against 24 and 96 h LC50 respectively. Some behavioral responses such as violent, sluggish and erratic movement, respiratory distress, mucous secretion all over the body, discoloration were also observed in IMC treated fishes in comparison to MLE treated fishes.
Conclusion: These findings demonstrated that MLE has mitigating effects against the toxic influence of IMC on mortality in zebra fishes which is attributed to its antioxidant effects.
2. Neelima P, Sunitha K, Govinda Rao K, Krishna Ch, Chandra Sekhara Rao J. Acute toxicity of cypermethrin (25%EC) and its effects on behavioral changes in Cyprinus carpio (Linn.). Int J Zoological Investigations 2016;2:35-47.
3. Inyang IR, Korogbegha TF. Haematological and biochemical responses of Heterobranchus bidorsalis to imidacloprid. Annals Ecol Environ Sci 2018;2:41-6.
4. Qadir S, Iqbal F. Effect of sublethal concentration of imidacloprid on the histology of heart liver and kidney in Labeo rohita. Pakistan J Pharm Sci 2016;29:2033-8.
5. Tyor AK, Harkrishan. Effects of Imidacloprid on viability and hatchability of embryos of the common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Int J Fish Aquat Stud 2016;4:385-9.
6. Priya BP, Rachel V, Maruthi YA. Acute toxicity effect of Imidacloprid insecticide on serum biochemical parameters of freshwater teleost Channa punctatus. Int J Integ Sci Innov Technol 2012;1:18-22.
7. Hahn ED, Soyer R. Probit and Logit Models: Differences in a Multivariate Realm; 2008. Available from: http:/home.gwu.edu/~soyer/mv1h.pdf. [Last accessed on 05 Oct 2019].
8. Halappa R, David M. Behavioral responses of the freshwater fish, Cyprinus carpio (Linnaeus) following sub-lethal exposure to chlorpyrifos. Turkish J Fish Aquat Sci 2009;9:233-8.
9. Ahmad S, Yadav V, Zahra K. Determination of LC50 of chlorpyrifos with special reference to behavioral and morphological changes in zebrafish, Danio rerio. Int J Res Anal Rev 2019;6:655-68.
10. Naik DV, Naik LS, Jawahar S, Naik MJ. Assessment of acute toxicity and behavioral changes in freshwater fish Catla catla exposed to organophosphate pesticide phorate 10% CG. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2016;3:429-34.
11. Jyotsna, Swarnalatha Y. Effect of flavonoids in acetaminophen-induced liver injury in Danio rerio. Int J Health Sci Res 2016;6:352-9.
12. Koleva II, Van Beek TA, Linssen JPH, de Groot A, Evstatieva LN. Screening of plant extracts for antioxidant activity: a comparative study on three testing methods. Phytochem Anal 2002;13:8-17.
13. Sharma V, Paliwal R, Pracheta, Sharma S. Phytochemical analysis and evaluation of antioxidant activities of hydro-ethanolic extract of Moringa oleifera Lam. Pods. J Pharm Res 2011;4:554-7.
14. Fitriana WD, Ersam T, Shimizu K, Fatmawati S. Antioxidant activity of Moringa oleifera extract. Indonesia J Chem 2016;16:297-301.
15. Karthivashan G, Tangestani FM, Arulselvan P, Abas F, Fakurazi S. Identification of bioactive candidate compounds responsible for oxidative challenge from the hydro-ethanolic extract of Moringa oleifera leaves. J Food Sci 2013;78:C1368-1375.
16. Torres Castillo JA, Sinagawa Garcia SR, Martenez Avila GCG, Lopez Flores AB, Sanchez Gonzalez EI, Aguirre Arzola VE, et al. Moringa oleifera: phytochemical detection, antioxidants, enzymes and antifungal properties. Int J Exp Bot 2013;82:193-202.
17. Pari L, Karamac M, Kosinska A, Rybarczyk A, Amarowicz R. Antioxidant activity of the crude extracts of drumstick tree (Moringa oleifera Lam.) and sweet broomweed (Scoparia dulcis L.) leaves. Pol J Food Nurt Sci 2007;57:203-8.
18. Khalil RH, Diab AM, Shakweer MS, Ghetas HA, Khallaf M. Amelioratory effect of methanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera on some liver function and oxidative stress markers in sodium fluoride toxicity in sea bream Sparus auratus L. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2018;5:11-22.
19. Ijioma SN, Nwaogazi EN, Nwankwo AA, Ekeleme CM, Oshilonya LU. Histological exhibition of the gastroprotective effect of Moringa oleifera leaf extract. Comp Clin Path 2018;27:327-32.
20. Patel JP, Gami B, Patel K. Evaluation of in vitro schizonticidal properties of acetone extract of some Indian medicinal plants. Adv Biol Res 2010;4:253-8.
21. Al Otaibi LS. Role of Moringa oleifera leaves extract against cadmium in mice. World J Res Rev 2016;3:38-44.
22. Maduka HCC, Daja A, Gadaka GA, Ugwu CE, Dike CC, Abu Bakar KA, et al. Protective role of Moringa oleifera lam aqueous leaf extract on some excretory products and hematological parameters in acetaminophen induced albino rats. IOSR J Nurs Heath Sci 2014;3:27-31.
23. Sheikh A, Yeasmin F, Agarwal S, Rahman M, Islam K, Hossain S, et al. Protective effects of Moringa oleifera Lam. leaves against arsenic-induced toxicity in mice. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2014;4(Suppl 1):S353-S358.
24. Khalil F, Korni FMM. Evaluation of Moringa oleifera leaves and their aqueous extract in improving growth, immunity and mitigating effect of stress on common carp (Cyprinus carpio) fingerlings. Turkish J Aquat Sci 2017;32:170-7.
25. Yadav V, Ahmad S, Zahra K. Assessment of the protective effects of Moringa oleifera leaf extract against neem-oil induced toxicity in zebra fish, Danio rerio. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2019;8:4263-70.
26. Mansour SA, Mohamed RI, Ali AR, Farrag AH. The protective effect of Moringa tea against cypermethrin-Induced hepatorenal dysfunction, oxidative stress and histo-pathological alterations in female rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:111-7.
27. Howe K, Clark MD, Torroja CF, Torrance J, Berthelot C, Muffato M, et al. The zebrafish reference genome sequence and its relationship to the human genome. Nature 2013;496:498-503.
28. Ghosh MN. In statistical analysis, fundamentals of experimental pharmacology. 2nd ed. Scientific Book Agency Calcutta; 1984. p. 187-9.
29. Finney DT. Probit analysis. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 1971. p. 333.
30. Ge W, Yan S, Wang J, Zhu L, Chen A, Wang J. Oxidative stress and DNA damage induced by imidacloprid in Zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Agric Food Chem 2015;63:1856-62.
31. Wang Y, Yang G, Dai D, Xu Z. Individual and mixture effects of five agricultural pesticides on zebrafish larvae. Environ Sci Pollut Res 2016;324. Doi:10.1007/s11356-016-8205-9.
32. Ding Z, Yang Y, Jin H, Shan Z. Acute toxicity and bio-concentration factor of three pesticides on Brachydanio rerio. J Appl Ecol 2004;15:888-90.
33. Wu S, Li X, Liu X, Yang G, An X, Wang Q, et al. Joint toxic effects of triazophos and imidacloprid on zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut 2018;235:470-81.
34. Tisler T, Jemec A, Mozetic P, Trebse P. Hazard identification of imidacloprid to an aquatic environment. Chemosphere 2009;76:907-14.
35. Shukla S, Jhamtani RC, Dahiya MS, Agarwal R. Oxidative injury caused by individual and combined exposure of neonicotinoid, organophosphate and herbicide in zebrafish. Toxicol Rep 2017;4:240-4.
36. Wast N, Prakash MM, Gupta AK, Gaherwal S. Acute toxicity assessment of Imidacloprid 70% WG to a guppy, Poecilia reticulata (Peters). Global Veter 2016;17:245-9.
37. Ajitha BS, Jayaprakas CA. Comparative study on the toxicity of biopesticides and synthetic insecticide on the biochemical and hematological changes of freshwater fish, Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (L.). Int J Sci Res 2015;6:142-5.
38. Justin Raj S, Joseph B. Impact of acetamiprid toxicity on lactate dehydrogenase in some tissues of the fish Oreochromis mossambicus. Int J Zool Res 2015;11:112-5.
39. Qadir S, Latif A, Ali M, Iqbal F. Effects of imidacloprid on hematological and serum biochemical profile of Labeo rohita. Pakistan J Zool 2014;46:1085-90.
40. Tomlin CDS. The pesticide manual, a world compendium. 14th ed. British Crop Protection Council, Surry, England; 2006. p. 598-9.
41. Anthony Reddy P, Veeraiah K, Tata Rao S, Vivek Ch. The effect of confidor on histology of the gill, liver and kidney of fish Labeo rohita (Hamilton). Int J Bioas 2015;4:3682-5.
42. Sethuraman S, Kumar TR, Vivekananthan T, Iyyappan V, Anandraj K. Triclosan induced alterations of biochemical parameters in zebrafish Brachydanio rerio (Ham.) and their productive role by dietary supplementation of garlic extract and L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Asian J Pharmacol Toxicol 2015;3:5-12.
43. Tiwari P, Ansari BA. Comparative study of acute toxicities of endosulfan, chlorpyrifos and permethrin to zebrafish, Danio rerio (Cyprinidae). Sch Acad J Biosci 2014;2:404-9.
44. Al Safi AGA. A study of biochemical changes in the tissues of zebra fish (Danio rerio) on exposure to organophosphorus pesticides. Bas J Vet Res 2016;15:266-79.
45. Singh S, Bahadur M, Bhattacharjee S, Pal J. Acute toxicity of chlorpyrifos to zebrafish, Danio rerio (Cyprinidae). NBU J Anim Sci 2017;11:45-9.
46. Kou X, Li B, Olayanju JB, Drake JM, Chen N. Nutraceutical or pharmacological potential of Moringa oleifera lam. Nutr 2018;10: 343.
47. Ujah OF, Ujah IR, Johnson JT, Oka VO. Effect of ethanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera leaf on haematological and biochemical parameters of wistar rats. J Nat Prod Plant Resour 2013;3:10-4.
48. Ghasi S, Nwobobo E, Ofili JO. Hypocholesterolemic effects of crude extract of leaf of Moringa oleifera lam in high-fat diet-fed wistar rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;69:21-5.
49. Christian EO, Samuel CM, Chundi ED, Anaelechi JO, Chinwemma FO, Daniel LA, et al. Amelioratory effect of methanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera on some liver and kidney function and oxidative stress markers in lead intoxicated rats. Eur J Med Plants 2016;12:1-12.
50. Pari L, Kumar NA. Hepatoprotective activity of Moringa oleifera an antitubucular drug-induced liver damage in rats. J Med Food 2002;5:171-7.
51. Das N, Sikder K, Ghosh S, Fromenty B, Dey S. Moringa oleifera lam. leaf extract prevents early liver injury and restores antioxidants status in mice fed with high-fat diet. Indian J Exp Biol 2012;50:404-12.
52. Saalu LC, Ogunlade B, Ajayi GO, Oyewopo AO, Akunna GG, Ogunmodede OS. The hepatoprotective potentials of Moringa oleifera leaf extract on alcohol-induced hepato-toxicity in wistar rat. Am J Biotechnol Mole Sci 2012;2:6-14.
53. Achuba FI, Ubogu LA, Ekute BO. Moringa oleifera attenuates crude oil contaminated diet-induced biochemical effects in wistar albino rats. UK J Pharm Biosci 2016;4:70-7.
54. Ekam VS, Johnson JT, Dasofunjo K, Odey MO, Anyahara SE. Total protein, albumin and globulin levels following the administration of activity directed fractions of Vernonia amygdalina during acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in wistar rats. Annals Biol Res 2012;3:5590-4.
55. Hamed HS, El-Sayed Y. Antioxidant activities of Moringa oleifera leaf extract against pendimethalin-induced oxidative stress and genotoxicity in nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (L.). Fish Physiol Biochem 2018;45:71-82.
56. Mallaya R, Chatterjee PK, Vinodini NA, Chatterjee P, Mithra P. Moringa oleifera leaf extract: beneficial effects on cadmium-induced toxicities–a review. J Clin Diagn Res 2017;11:CE01-CE04.
57. Sreelatha S, Padma PR. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of Moringa oleifera leaves in two stages of maturity. J Plant Food Human Nutr 2009;64:303-11.
58. Mohabbulla Mohib Md, Rabby, Fazla SM, Paran TZ, Hasan MdM, Ahmad I, et al. Protective role of green tea on diabetic nephropathy. A Rev Cong Biol 2016;2:1-23.
59. El-Gendy KS, Aly NM, Mahmoud FH, Kenawy A, El-Sebae AK. The role of vitamin C as an antioxidant in the protection of oxidative stress induced by imidacloprid. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:215-21.