FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF MULTIPURPOSE HERBAL CREAM
Objective: To formulate and evaluate herbal cream using Aloe Vera gel, dimethyl sulphoxide extracts of Neem (Azadirachta indica) and Tulsi (Ocimumtenuiflorum) to give multipurpose effect.
Methods: The cream was prepared by using the cream base that is bee’s wax, liquid paraffin, borax, methylparaben, distilled water, rose oil, Aloe Vera gel, dimethyl sulphoxide extracts of Neem and Tulsi. The cream was prepared by using the slab technique/extemporaneous method for geometric and homogenous mixing of all the excipients and the herbal extracts. By using slab technique, we have developed three batches of our herbal cream, namely F1H, F2H, and F3H. All three batches were evaluated for different parameters like appearance, PH, viscosity, phase separation.
Results: All the three formulations F1H, F2H, F3H showed good appearance, PH, adequate viscosity and no phase separation was observed. Also, the formulations F1H, F2H, F3H showed no redness, erythema and irritation during irritancy study and they were easily washable. All the three formulations F1H, F2H, F3H were stable at room temperature.
Conclusion: All three herbal ingredients showed significant different activities. Based on the results, we can suggest that all the three formulations F1H, F2H, F3H were stable and can be safely used on the skin.
2. T Reynolds, AC Dweck. Aloe vera leaf gel: a review update. J Ethno Pharmacol 1999;68:3-37.
3. Priyanka Sharma, Amit C Kharkwal, Harsha Kharkwal, MZ Abdin, Ajit Varma. A review on the pharmacological properties of Aloe Vera. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;29:31-7.
4. Sharma Pankaj, Tomar Lokeshwar, Bachwani Mukesh, Bansal Vishnu. Review on neem (Azadirachta indica): thousand problems one solution. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:97-102.
5. KP Sampath Kumar, Debjit Bhowmik, Biswajit, Chiranjib, Pankaj, KK Tripathi Margret Chandira. Traditional Indian herbal plants Tulsi and its medical importance: a review. Res Rev: J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2010;2:103-8.
6. Renisheya Joy Jeba Malar T, Johnson M, Nancy Beaulah S, Laju RS, Anupriya G, Renola Joy Jeba Ethal T. Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal activity of aloe Vera gel extract. Int J Biomed Adv Res 2012;3:184-7.
7. Kalpesh Chhotalal Ashara. Importance of trituration technique on preparation and evaluation of cold cream. Inventi Rapid Pharm Tech 2013;1-2:2012.
8. Sk Uddandu Saheb, Aduri Prakash Reddy, K Rajitha, B Sravani, B Vanitha. Formulation and evaluation of cream from naturally containing plant extracts. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;7:851-62.
9. Bhakti Mali, Sumedh N Moharil, Vaibhav Mhasal, Mahesh B Narkhede. Drug-excipient interaction study of Tramadol HCL with polymers. World J Pharm Res 2017;6:848-61.
10. Donald L Pavia, Gary M Lampman, George S kriz, James R Vyvyan. Introduction to spectroscopy. 5th edition. Patparganj-Delhi; Cengage learning India pvt. ltd. Chapter 2: Infrared spectroscopy; 2015. p. 14-106.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.