ANTIHYPERGLYCEMIC ACTIVITY OF IMPERATA CYLINDRICA ROOT METHANOL EXTRACT IN RATS
Objective: This study aims to evaluate the inhibitory activity of Imperatacylindrica root methanol extract on glucose absorption level in intestine of male Wistar strain rats at a dose of 90 mg/kg-bw, which is a dose having antihypertensive activity.
Methods: Extract inhibitory activity on the glucose absorption level in the intestine of the rats followed Soedigdo-Marsongkohadi method. Glucose absorption level was measured from a mixture of 30 mmol glucose in 0.9 % sodium chloride solution as the control solution and a mixture of the extract at the dose of 90 mg/kg-bw in another control solution as the tested solution
Results: The result showed that the extract at the dose of 90 mg/kg-bw had significant activity (p<0.05) to decrease the glucose absorption level in the intestine of the rats.
Conclusion: I. cylindrica root methanol extract at the dose of 90 mg/kg-bw had a significant activity to inhibit the glucose absorption level in the intestine of the rats. Thereby, the extract at the dose of 90 mg/kg-bw had antihyperglycemic activity.
2. Dhianawaty DD. Study of plant ethnopharmacology to cure the bladder stones disease. In: Soemadji AA, Garna H, Setiabudiawan B. ed. Traditional Medicine for the Treatment of Kidney Stone-Bladder Stones Diseases. Jatinangor: Universitas Padjadjaran Press; 2016. p. 24-7.
3. Ruslin, Asmawi MZ, Rianse U, Sahidin I, Dhianawaty D, Soemardji AA, et al. Anti-hypertensive activity of Alang–Alang (Imperata cylindrica (L.) beauv. root methanolic extract on male Wistar rat. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2013;4:537-42.
4. Subramaniam S, Sivasubramanian A. Tradition to therapeutics: sacrificial medicinal grasses desmostachya bipinnata and Imperata cylindrica of India. Bol Latinoam Caribe Plant Med Aromat 2015;14:156-70.
5. An HJ, Nugroho A, Song BM, Park HJ. Isoeugenin, a novel nitric oxide synthase inhibitor isolated from the rhizomes of imperata cylindrica. Molecules 2015;20:21336-45.
6. Dhianawaty D, Ruslin. Total polyphenol content and antioxidant activity of methanol extract of imperata cylindrica (L) Beauv.(Alang-alang) root. Majalah Kedokteran Bandung Mkb Bandung Med J 2015;47:60-4.
7. Dhianawaty DD, Ruslin, Syamsunarno MRAA, Hamimah H. The 54th national seminar of Indonesia medicinal plants. In: Masfria, Agustama, Hasibuan PAZ, Khairunnisa, Mariane, Sitorus P, et al. ed. Total Flavonoid Content of Methanol Extract of I. cylindrica (L) Beauv. (Alang-alang). Medan: North Sumatera University; 2018. p. 36.
8. Dutt R, Pushpan R, Kumari H, Nishteswar K. Cirrhosis of liver-care by indigenous and folk herbal medicine. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:1-3.
9. Parvathy NG, Padma R, Renjith V, Rahate KP, Saranya TS. Phytochemical screening and anthelmintic activity of methanolic extract of imperata cylindrica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:232-4.
10. Ojha SN, Nagore DH, Ganu GP. In vitro and in vivo anticoagulant activity of I. cylindrical a novel anticoagulant lead from natural origin. Phcog Net 2010;2:38-43.
11. Parkavi V, Vignesh M, Selvakumar K, Muthu JM, Joysa JR. Antibacterial activity of aerial parts of Imperata cylindrica (L) beauv. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2012;4:209-12.
12. Chan LW, Cheah EL, Saw CL, Weng W, Heng PW. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of cortex magnoliae officinalis and some other medicinal plants commonly used in South-East Asia. Chin Med 2008;3:15.
13. Nurhayati N, Widowati L. The use of traditional health care among Indonesian Family. Health Sci J Indonesia 2017;8:30-5.
14. Regulation of The Minister of Health of Republic Indonesia Number 39 Y 2016 Concerning Guidelines for Healthy Program Implementation with Family Approach. Available from: http://www.depkes.go.id/resources/download/lain/PMK_No.39_ttg_PIS_PK. pdf. [Last accessed 20 Mar 2018]
15. Strategic Plan of Ministry of Health in 2015-2019; 2015. Available from: http://www.depkes.go.id/resources/ download/ info-publik/Renstra-2015.pdf. [Last accessed on 20 Mar 2018]
16. World Health Organization. Noncommunicable diseases: more about noncommunicable diseases; 2018. Available from: www.who.int›News›Fact sheets. [Last accessed 09 Jun 2018]
17. World Life Expectancy Health Profile: Indonesia; 2017. Available from: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-health-rankings. [Last accessed 09 Mar 2018].
18. Dhianawaty D, AMS SS. Effect of curcuma longa l. rhizome decoct on glucose absorption level in Intestine of male rat of wistar strain. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:532-5.
19. Epriliati I, Ginjom IR. Bioavailability of phytochemicals. Phytochemicals-a global perspective of their role in nutrition and health, Rao V. ed. InTech, Rijeka, Croatia; 2012. p. 401-28.
20. Marcovecchio ML. Complications of acute and chronic hyperglycemia. US Endocrinol 2017;13:1-17.
21. Popov D. Endothelial cell dysfunction in hyperglycemia: phenotypic change, intracellular signaling modification, ultrastructural alteration, and potential clinical outcomes. Int J Diabetes Mellitus 2010;2:189-95.
22. Zhao Y, Vanhoutte PM, Leung SW. Vascular nitric oxide: Beyond eNOS. J Pharmacol Sci 2015;129:83-94.
23. Rajendran P, Rengarajan T, Thangavel J, Nishigaki Y, Sakthisekaran D, Sethi G, et al. The vascular endothelium and human diseases. Int J Biol Sci 2013;9:1057.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.