PROPHYLACTIC ANTIBIOTICS IN CAESAREAN DELIVERIES IN A TERITIARY CARE TEACHING HOSPITAL
Objective: Prophylactic antibiotics are used to prevent post-operative infections after Caesarean Section. Studies have suggested a significant role in the timing of prophylaxis. The aim of the study was to evaluate the pattern of antibiotics used and to identify the frequency of post-operative infections in patients undergoing Caesarean Section.
Methods: A prospective observational study was carried out for 6 mo. A total of 120 patients who met the inclusion criteria were recruited into the study. Data collection form was prepared using NICE guidelines. A total of 120 medical records were analysed.
Results: The results revealed that out of 120 study subjects, prophylactic antibiotics Cefotaxime, Metronidazole and Cefixime were used in 119 (99.17%).
Conclusion: This study concludes that giving prophylactic antibiotics before skin incision reduces risk of post-operative infections in women undergoing Caesarean Section. As the patients did not produce any infections post-surgery 3rd generation Cephalosporins along with Nitro-imidazoles can be considered as an effective prophylactic therapy for use during caesarean sections.
2. Shamna MS, VK Kalaichelvan, YM Fazil Marickar, Deepu S. Caesarean section and prophylactic antibiotics. IOSR J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;9:51-4.
3. Raj Kumar Thapa, Bishrawa Bhandari, Kapil Adhikari, Pramila Katila, Prativa Baral, Gulam Muhammad Khan. Antibiotic prophylaxis in caesarean section. Int J Public Health Sci 2012;1:1-6.
4. Shamna MS, VK Kalaichelvan, YM Fazil Marickar, R Manavalan, K Kannan, Deepu S. A study on pattern of using prophylactic antibiotics in caesarean section. IOSR J Pharm 2015;5:12-8.
5. Ruby Kumari, Arti Sharma, Sheetal, Pratibha Roy, Anupriya. To study the effectiveness of prophylactic use of cefriaxone (single dose) in caesarean section in low risk patients in a tertiary care center, Moradabad, India. Int J Res Med Sci 2017;5:5278-82.
6. Chuan Zhang, Linglizhang, Xinghui Liu, Li Zhang, Zhiyouzeng, Lin Li, et al. Timing of antibiotic prophylaxis in elective caesarean delivery: a multi-center randomised controlled trail and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2015;10:1-15.
7. Tippawan Liabsuetrakul, Pisake Lumbiganon, Virasakdi. Prophylactic antibiotic prescription for Caesarean Section. Int Soc Quality Health Care 2002;14:503-8.
8. Zeel Shah, NS Kshirsagar, Shikha Shah. Comparison of single-dose prophylactic antibiotics versus five days antibiotics in caesarean section. J Evolution Med Dental Sci 2014;3:3123-9.
9. Hopkins L, Smaill F. Antibiotic prophylaxis regimens and drugs for Caesarean Section. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;2:CD001136.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.